Sign in to follow this  
nine

Mariota in the Red Zone - 2018 vs 2016

Here's the coaches' film showing all of Mariota's red zone plays (both passing and rushing) for the 2018 season.    

In addition to showing all plays inside the 20-yard line, I also included plays inside the 30 yard line that were (IMO) relevant to the subsequent RZ possession.

Red Zone attempts - Weeks 12-16

Red Zone attempts - Weeks 9-11

RZ attempts - Weeks 5-8

RZ attempts - Weeks 1-4

UPDATE - for the sake of comparison, I also put together similar clips showing Mariota's red zone play during his 8-game hot streak in 2016.    

Links to 2016 Red Zone footage

Nice job, man.  After watching these videos...MM was awful in the RZ.  Only decent games he had were the Dallas and NE games.  He was not aggressive and I'd be pissed if I was our receivers.  They did not not get enough opportunities.  Hoping he can return to the 2016 form...I'm starting to think we will never see that MM again.

22 minutes ago, Adams said:

I'd be pissed if I was our receivers.  They did not not get enough opportunities. 

It’s beyond comical they get blamed for MM’s mediocrity. It’s the other way around. Mularkey was the worst and Matthews finally said something about it.

11 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

It’s beyond comical they get blamed for MM’s mediocrity. It’s the other way around. Mularkey was the worst and Matthews finally said something about it.

What did Matthews say? 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

If I am following your history and this comment correctly, you mean that Mularkey was "the worst" in throwing the WR under the bus to cover for Mariota?  I'm asking because I recall you supporting Mularkey previously.  

14 minutes ago, CreepingDeath said:

If I am following your history and this comment correctly, you mean that Mularkey was "the worst" in throwing the WR under the bus to cover for Mariota?  I'm asking because I recall you supporting Mularkey previously.  

You are correct, Mularkey always blamed the WRs no matter what

1 hour ago, titanruss said:

What did Matthews say? 

Something about being tired of the WRs always getting the blame regardless 

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Didnt he say that in 2017? Doubt that had anything to do wih 18. He was crying about targets in 2018 and nothing relse before hr pulled a VY.

6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

So... nothing at all. 

Great, thanks. 

For the sake of comparison....here are all of Mariota's red zone plays during his 8-week hot streak in 2016.

(Hint:   These clips show a lot of throws into very tight windows or to receivers who aren't necessarily wide open;  there are also a lot of plays with receivers winning their battles and making difficult contested catches.   Both have been conspicuously absent over the past couple seasons.)

2016 RZ - Part 1  (weeks 5-6)

2016 RZ - part 2   (weeks 7-8)

2016 RZ - part 3  (week 9)

2016 RZ - part 4   (weeks 10-11)

2016 RZ - part 5   (week 12)

Can you show all of 2016?  It would be interesting to see the play before and after the hot streak as well given the production was similar to 2017/2018.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

Can you show all of 2016?  It would be interesting to see the play before and after the hot streak as well given the production was similar to 2017/2018.

the "after" hot streak was 2.5 games against the top 3 defenses in the league. go watch them again.

its vastly overblown by anti-mariota people here. the QB was pretty good for the most part against the best D's in the league those games. 

Your definition of pretty good is frightening.  He was 6-20 in the Broncos game with net 73 yards passing.  The lone TD drive included 1 completed pass.  The next score - a FG came on a drive with 1 5-yard run and 2 incompletions.  They didn't score after mid-2nd quarter and barely held on to win that game. 

He was 8-20 in the Jax game before he broke his leg and at that point (end of 3rd QTR) they were down 25-10.  Meh.  AP described his play in the game recap as struggling. 

Not that 2016 really matters at this point - different personnel, coaches, system.  Still, seeing the totality of it as opposed to the good part is more meaningful IMO.