Top chefs say you shouldn't grill burgers

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh hell no.  That's a form of kneading. Would make a tough ass burger.   Usually when prepping on a commercial but let's call it bistro level (small, hands on), you scale out the meat - an 8

That article while having valid points isn't very well constructed.  Also fails to differentiate between types of grills and grill heats, including propane, charcoal or wood-fired.  The later perhaps

I've got a Lodge cast iron griddle that was intended to go across two stove burners but works perfectly on the gas grille  It takes about 20 minutes to get up to 550 - 575 and then cooks steaks o

1 hour ago, abenjami said:

Try making a burger in a cast iron pan on a gas stove and let us know your thoughts ;)

Burgers, Rib Steaks, Skirt Steak etc.

Lotsa heat.

It's the same using a carbon steel wok for stir fry, or a cast iron dutch oven to make stews.

Ya gotta get that sear first.  The Maillard reaction and the flavor(s) it imparts.

Now let's see what Chef has to say.

15 hours ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That article while having valid points isn't very well constructed.  Also fails to differentiate between types of grills and grill heats, including propane, charcoal or wood-fired.  The later perhaps adding something to the equation that a propane one would not.

Also fails to discuss pragmatic merits for the home chef such as outdoor entertaining in a backyard or in a park, a hibachi on the beach.  Not to mention I (used to) like grilling at home simply because it made for less clean up inside, especially a greasy burger splattering my kitchen.

That being said, I can mostly say I can cook you a better pan-roast steak in a good saute pan - cast iron or not.  Searing then roasting it, adding whole butter crushed garlic and bruised thyme, spoon basting it along the way.

My usual burger complaints involve people putting crap inside.  For me I want meat I trust to eat still med rare.  And how they are shaped and handled, including the pizza dough style softening step before cooking to keep them from balling up as well as to make them more tender, those are parts not addressed nearly enough.

14 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

Burgers, Rib Steaks, Skirt Steak etc.

Lotsa heat.

It's the same using a carbon steel wok for stir fry, or a cast iron dutch oven to make stews.

Ya gotta get that sear first.  The Maillard reaction and the flavor(s) it imparts.

Now let's see what Chef has to say.

Thank you for food chem reference.  Doesn't do anything to "lock in juices" - I hope we all know that by know - but does of course help out big time on flavor development.

Thought you'd appreciate than back when in Seattle we had to have a burger on the menu as we where in a hotel (room service, even though an independent restaurant). Started with Kobe (style) beef but it was very inconsistent in quality, so did a blind taste test on about 6-7 different available products and ended up using Oregon Country Natural Beef.  Made a great burger.

1 hour ago, chef said:

Thank you for food chem reference.  Doesn't do anything to "lock in juices" - I hope we all know that by know - but does of course help out big time on flavor development.

Thought you'd appreciate than back when in Seattle we had to have a burger on the menu as we where in a hotel (room service, even though an independent restaurant). Started with Kobe (style) beef but it was very inconsistent in quality, so did a blind taste test on about 6-7 different available products and ended up using Oregon Country Natural Beef.  Made a great burger.

Years ago my pops loved to grill rib steaks from his favorite meat market.  1-1/2" thick, dry aged, well marbled slabs of carnivore-gasm.

One night we invited him over and I did his Spencer style in a CI skillet, only instead of butter I used rendered fat trimmed off the steak.

Plain-jane nothing but salt and pepper after it came out of the pan.  A true beef purist's steak.

He never went back to the grill unless it was the middle of summer and the kitchen temps were brutal.

I miss having that meat market around.  Those folks knew their beef.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Lodge cast iron griddle that was intended to go across two stove burners but works perfectly on the gas grille 

It takes about 20 minutes to get up to 550 - 575 and then cooks steaks or burgers to perfection.  One side is flat and the other ribbed.  Either works for steaks but burgers are a little better on the flat top

Hard to beat for outdoor entertaining. 

21 hours ago, Opus74 said:

I've got a Lodge cast iron griddle that was intended to go across two stove burners but works perfectly on the gas grille 

It takes about 20 minutes to get up to 550 - 575 and then cooks steaks or burgers to perfection.  One side is flat and the other ribbed.  Either works for steaks but burgers are a little better on the flat top

Hard to beat for outdoor entertaining. 

Is it grilling if the meat isn’t on a grill when it can get grill marks?

On 7/18/2019 at 9:20 AM, titanruss said:

Is it grilling if the meat isn’t on a grill when it can get grill marks?

That's being a little too literal though, donchathink? I mean, who cares if it doesn't have those little marks if it kicks the shit out of your taste buds?

45 minutes ago, NashvilleNinja said:

That's being a little too literal though, donchathink? I mean, who cares if it doesn't have those little marks if it kicks the shit out of your taste buds?

I mean.. unless it’s flavored charcoal or wood-chips or something.... what good is putting it on the grill in a pan that never touches the flames? You’re just making it smell like propane. 

4 minutes ago, titanruss said:

I mean.. unless it’s flavored charcoal or wood-chips or something.... what good is putting it on the grill in a pan that never touches the flames? You’re just making it smell like propane. 

I don't grill with propane, Hank. Only charcoal.

Yeah... I know, I know...

hank hill smh GIF