Btowner

Opinion: NFL Ticket Brokers

Btowner   

I'll be in Denver on business and was thinking about going to the Denver game. Taking a quick look at StubHub, NFL Ticketmaster, and Vivid Seats the service fees are ridiculous. On Vivid Seats, they don't even show the total until you check out.

Does anyone have a favorite ticket broker for away games?

Number9   
32 minutes ago, Btowner said:

I'll be in Denver on business and was thinking about going to the Denver game. Taking a quick look at StubHub, NFL Ticketmaster, and Vivid Seats the service fees are ridiculous. On Vivid Seats, they don't even show the total until you check out.

Does anyone have a favorite ticket broker for away games?

Each team get tickets to each away game.  See if the Titans will sell you one.

Edit:: I went to Indy for the 99' playoff game with a Titans group tour.  We had pretty bad seats and all around in our section were Titans fans.  

Edited by Number9

scine09   

If you’re gonna be in Denver at the time I don’t know how you can not go.  Seems like a no-brainer to me.

3 hours ago, oldschool said:

@Btowner use the NFL ticket exchange. Its run by Ticketmaster.

Screw Ticketmaster. They run one of the shadiest businesses out there. They work with scalpers to drive prices up in order to profit more. They could easily stop scalpers buying mass tickets when they are released but won’t because it would mean less profits. I won’t ever give them a dime of my $ if I can get a ticket elsewhere.

tickpick is one of the better sites, they don’t hide fees and I’ve never had an issue with their tickets working. 

27 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Screw Ticketmaster. They run one of the shadiest businesses out there. They work with scalpers to drive prices up in order to profit more. They could easily stop scalpers buying mass tickets when they are released but won’t because it would mean less profits. I won’t ever give them a dime of my $ if I can get a ticket elsewhere.

tickpick is one of the better sites, they don’t hide fees and I’ve never had an issue with their tickets working. 

Do you know what the NFL ticket exchange is? Its season ticket owners selling their tickets. Ticketmaster just runs it. 

20 minutes ago, heyitsmeallen said:

Screw Ticketmaster. They run one of the shadiest businesses out there. They work with scalpers to drive prices up in order to profit more. They could easily stop scalpers buying mass tickets when they are released but won’t because it would mean less profits.

If the problem is scalpers, the solution is for Ticketmaster to sell tickets at higher prices because scalping only works when the true market value of a ticket is considerably higher than the price printed on the ticket.  

2 hours ago, oldschool said:

Do you know what the NFL ticket exchange is? Its season ticket owners selling their tickets. Ticketmaster just runs it. 

Yes I know what it is, Ticketmaster still gets my money from the fees and they don’t deserve it. Just look up their shady business practices and You might agree. Usually the same tickets are even listed on multiple sites.  The after market prices on there aren’t any lower than the other guys and they all offer guarantees. Also when I went to sell tickets through the exchange, Ticketmaster wanted a bigger cut of the sale than tickpick. 

50 minutes ago, The Toddster said:

If the problem is scalpers, the solution is for Ticketmaster to sell tickets at higher prices because scalping only works when the true market value of a ticket is considerably higher than the price printed on the ticket.  

I don’t think you understood what I said. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/20/ticketmaster-reportedly-has-secret-deals-with-scalpers-that-cheat-fans.html

9 hours ago, heyitsmeallen said:

I understand what you said.  You made a wild assumption that they collude with scalpers to generate additional profits for themselves.  They could generate additional profits, and more of them, and more easily, by simply pricing their tickets higher.   

Since you brought it up, what percentage of, say, concert tickets do you think TM gets double commissions on each year?  Just curious.  

37 minutes ago, The Toddster said:

I understand what you said.  You made a wild assumption that they collude with scalpers to generate additional profits for themselves.  They could generate additional profits, and more of them, and more easily, by simply pricing their tickets higher.   

Since you brought it up, what percentage of, say, concert tickets do you think TM gets double commissions on each year?  Just curious.  

It’s not a wild assumption, there is video evidence of the practice occouring. The only reason the most recent class action lawsuit was thrown out is because after last time they got sued and lost, they put a clause in the TOS saying if you use the site you can’t sue them anymore. They can’t just raise the ticket prices to whatever they want to increase profits.  The face values are set by artists, teams, or venues. Hence why they engage in the crooked practices to raise profits. Idk the exact % because I don’t have access to the suit files. I just know those clowns aren’t getting my money. Do you work for Ticketmaster? You seem very quick to come to the defense of a known crooked company. 

24 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You are paying for a service that enables you to buy after market tickets. Of course it comes with a fee. The amount of common shit people bitch about is annoying.

Of course they all have fees. No one is complaining about the initial fees. I just don’t like their business practices of double dipping and charging more fees to sell tickets than the other guys. Their tickets are no more guaranteed than Tickpick or SeatGeek, they just get by because they have a monopoly on original sales. 

Here is an article that goes deeper into their practices.  And here are a few quotes from the article on how it works. 

“I have brokers that have literally a couple of hundred Ticketmaster accounts,” said a sales executive with Ticketmaster Resale speaking to the undercover reporters.

The web-based tool — called Trade Desk — allows scalpers to seamlessly sync their Ticketmaster accounts (where they buy their tickets) with their online resale operation, quickly posting each seat to ticket reselling websites including StubHub, Vivid Seats and ticketmaster.com.

It also gives Ticketmaster a new revenue source: a second commission on every “verified resale” ticket sold on Ticketmaster.com (on top of the commission it collects on the original purchase of each ticket).

Those tickets on the ticket exchange are “Verified resale” tickets BTW. 

During a video conference this spring, another Trade Desk sales executive, speaking with Star and CBC reporters who posed as brokers, explained how Ticketmaster does not want to catch scalpers using multiple accounts.

“We’ve spent millions of dollars on this tool, so the last thing we’d want to do is, you know, get brokers caught up to where they can’t sell inventory with us,” he said. “We’re not trying to build a better mousetrap. I think the last thing we want to do is impair your ability to sell inventory. That’s our whole goal here on the resale side of the business.”

Using Trade Desk brings an immediate 3 per cent discount on Ticketmaster’s usual 7 per cent selling fee on a resale ticket. And the more users scalp, the greater the incentives become. 

Once they hit $500,000 in sales, a percentage point is shaved off their fees. At $1 million, another percentage point falls off.

“Scalpers get preferential treatment over consumers,” says U.K. expert Walker. “An average consumer would not need this software to list the ticket they could no longer use … This is simply done to assist touts (scalpers) in processing more and more tickets faster and faster and faster.”