Jonboy

Cosell on Mariota in 2018

Number9   
16 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea Cosell isn't a real scout. The real scouts actually drafted Russell highly. 

And there is a huge difference in trying to predict a QB leaving college and coming to the pros vs analyzing a QB who is entering his 5th year. 

Cosell just explained what he saw.  If you watch all Mariota's passes, you will see it as well.  

The denial of his inability to read defenses is, well preposterous.  Can Not Throw, he could have stopped there, but Cosell was kind.  He said Mariota lacks the ability to see a receiver running downfield and throw the ball where he can make a play on it.  Davis, big strong tall dude running by a midget, time to throw the ball high where one of two things will likely happen.  1. Davis catches ball, or 2. midget grabs Davis-pass interference.

Number9   
35 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

And there is a huge difference in trying to predict a QB leaving college and coming to the pros vs analyzing a QB who is entering his 5th year. 

The funny thing is last week, Cosell broke down all the AFC South QBs and no one questioned his creds.  

BudAdams   

As I fully expected, Cosell’s credibility is getting questioned on TR.  

His critique today was pretty kind, undoubtedly for the local audience.  The takeaways, though, are obvious to anyone who actually knows how to watch film.  

Number9   
Just now, BudAdams said:

His critique today was pretty kind, undoubtedly for the local audience.  The takeaways, though, are obvious to anyone who actually knows how to watch film.  

The man bent over backwards to say very kindly, "He can't throw.  He has not and mostly likely will never throw with anticipation.  After four years, he doesn't use all his receivers.  Lastly, he has a weak arm."  

OILERMAN   
7 minutes ago, reo said:

The only real problems with MM are his health and that he doesn't let it loose enough.

Everything else is just fan BS.

This is the same thing reo said about Locker right up until he left

BudAdams   
12 minutes ago, reo said:

The only real problems with MM are his health and that he doesn't let it loose enough.

Everything else is just fan BS.

shirt laundry GIF

OzTitan   
59 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Al Davis was running the show then wasn't he?

Mariota will never be top class because he’s a scaredy-cat. Fortune favours the bold.. He dosent throw enough bold balls. The deeper the throw the lower the catch probability can be. But mariota seems to need the same catch probability no matter if it’s a screen vs a 40 yard post.

Its probably his biggest flaw. Moreso than his footwork. If mariota threw 5 more 20 percent balls at a distance of 30 yards game over a rushing attempt the teams PPG would rise by a couple points.

Mythos27   
18 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

His conclusions have been questioned on this board way before this.You didn't pull the nostradamus you think you did. I also don't see anyone questioning his actual credibility (bias etc) just disagreeing with his assessment, which is not the same thing. He's one guy with a mixed track record, just like everyone else in the evaluation community. He isn't a hack but his word isn't gospel to the point where everyone has to bow down or be labeled unreasonable. 

Mythos27   
2 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Mariota will never be top class because he’s a scaredy-cat. Fortune favours the bold.. He dosent throw enough bold balls. The deeper the throw the lower the catch probability can be. But mariota seems to need the same catch probability no matter if it’s a screen vs a 40 yard post.

Its probably his biggest flaw. Moreso than his footwork. If mariota threw 5 more 20 percent balls at a distance of 30 yards game over a rushing attempt the teams PPG would rise by a couple points.

The only indicator that matters in terms of Mariota never being a perennially elite QB is the fact that he hasn't done it yet. Our teams haven't been that good but certainly good enough for a truly elite QB to elevate it so if he was that guy it would've happened. I would never expect an above average QB (Mariota) to elevate a team like ours on a regular basis and would only expect a good QB to do so more often than not but no consistently. That debate has been settled and if you're still waiting for a top 5 QB, I feel for you. What we have to see now is if he's good enough to win with. I think he is and so does Cosell. Funny how that little bit got completely glossed over. 

reo   
31 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is the same thing reo said about Locker right up until he left

Possibly. Then Locker got hurt again.

Personally I think the injury thing was the only real correlate. I don't remember if he was slow to pull the trigger.

Edited by reo

OILERMAN   
22 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

Al Davis was running the show then wasn't he?

Russell was highly regarded, he would have been drafted high no matter who was running which team