Cosell on Mariota in 2018

Jonboy

11 hours ago, big2033 said:

PFF's eval of Mariota in a nutshell:

In five years of NFL play, Mariota has been relatively efficient, yet unspectacular. He’s not earned an overall grade below 63.0, yet he’s never managed to crack the 80.0 threshold — the area of grading where the greats at the position frequent. Even in what was a career-best season from a grading standpoint in 2018, his overall grade of 76.8 was only good enough to rank 18th among 39 qualifying quarterbacks.

That puts it all in perspective and why it's still a debate. 

He's just average enough to frustrate everyone whether they're rooting for him or not.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cosell has made a living on reviewing tape despite no evidence of football acumen. Before the Mariota haters chime in and call me a homer, I've had this stance on Cosell forever.   https://p

Cosell's comments are in line with the conversations we've been having for a long time now;  he's just stating it an an evenhanded and objective POV rather than arguing bullet points.      M

Yea Cosell isn't a real scout. The real scouts actually drafted Russell highly.    And there is a huge difference in trying to predict a QB leaving college and coming to the pros vs analyzin

Posted Images

mariota is on a flaming hot seat.  I think everyone knows that.

how long is the leash for him..if the Titans are all in on him thru TC and into the season then it probably won't matter when they make the switch to Tannehill cause at that point the season is probably lost.  Mariota is a goner and we are starting over next year at the QB position.

I just don't see Tannehill as a guy that's gonna come in and suddenly turn things around.

2 hours ago, Soxcat said:

It really doesn't make any sense that Mariota needs to be pushed.  He knows what is at stake.  Tannehill is not going to make Mariota any better.

What Tannehill does give us is a guy who can play well enough we can stay competitive if Mariota gets hurt (or isn't 100%).  Vrabel is looking at winning a bunch of games and making the playoffs.  The QB situation will take care of itself.  Only way I see Tannehill getting significant playing time is if Mariota is seriously hurt.  Obviously there is the chance Mariota completely bombs and gets benched but that is less likely.  He might not play real good and is still going to make dumb mistakes that have you scratching your head but the coaching staff has to focus on the main point and that is winning games.  Obviously if we start to lose games we might see a switch simply because we have nothing to lose and by then the Mariota experiment is over. 

Marcus had a contract extension at stake last year, but he made no effort to protect himself and didn't exactly light it up in the off-season.  They feel like they get to keep him sharp at all times so that he plays as he does at the end of games, when he's not taking dumb hits, being hesitant, blinded in the red zone, running out of the pocket on every other play, etc. and so that he's progressing in practice.  He's competitive, but he's passive, so that doesn't show at all times.  They are trying to pull that out of him as they did with Henry .  Competition is their final resort .

Edited by abc2330

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

The kid has been competitive his whole life and knew his long-term NFL career could be in jeopardy last year and certainly doesn't need any additional incentive now.  I'm not sure I agree 100% Henry's break though was all mental but a RB and QB are entirely different.  You are not going to be more effective gritting your teeth and wanting it more at QB like you might at other positions.  In all honesty Mariota's issues aren't lack of desire, work ethic or such but more that he simply doesn't have the instincts and decision making. 

Truthfully I think he tries too hard to not make mistakes and doesn't just go out and play his game.  He has his best games when he's relaxed out there. Aside from a few mechanics issues that I think can be worked on, he just needs to quit trying to take the team on his shoulders and just play football and have some fun 

12 minutes ago, freakingeek said:

Truthfully I think he tries too hard to not make mistakes and doesn't just go out and play his game.  He has his best games when he's relaxed out there. Aside from a few mechanics issues that I think can be worked on, he just needs to quit trying to take the team on his shoulders and just play football and have some fun 

that's why they went with Smith at OC and keeping a very similar if not exactly the same system.  Hopefully he will get comfortable and show what he has...or doesn't have.

these are the things they are doing to get Mariota going.

The idea that bringing in Tannehill will somehow make Mariota better is just ridiculous shit that the haters like to throw at the wall.

21 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Intentional or not, Robinson started this when he came out on the day of trade reiterating that Mariota was the starter but that Tannehill is here to "push him".  Vrabel has done the same exact wording.  One - it's odd when a team adds a backup QB to even broach that.  Two, it also reinforces the natural view that the gap between Mariota and Tannehill is small.

Mariota is the starter until he isn't but with neither guy under contract beyond 2019, it's likely a fluid situation.  The real compelling question, that neither the GM or HC would answer honestly, is how long of a leash does MM have IF his play is up and down and hurting the offense.

thats what they said about the last two backups. .. 

then they say that about every position and every guy

"these guys really push each other to be good"

its probably one of the most common coach/GM phrases ever. 

Marcus threw 45 TDs and had a 2.5/1 TD/INT ratio his first two years.  I don't think it's fair to say that he lacks an innate ability to play or make sound decisions, as he did so better than many quality QBs did at a similar stage in their careers (especially considering his age). 

As far as Tannehill is concerned, maybe some of you would like to provide some evidence that Mariota is better, other than team wins.  He's not.  If the roles were reversed, absolutely nobody would be jumping up and down to insert a 24 TD 23 INT quarterback into the starting lineup.  That's where Mariota being "pushed" comes in.  If he doesn't look better than Tannehill in practice, a guy who we're paying $2M this year, what does that say about his value?  Tannehill is that bar that Mariota must clear .  If he doesn't, he's gone.

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Marcus threw 45 TDs and had a 2.5/1 TD/INT ratio his first two years.  I don't think it's fair to say that he lacks an innate ability to play or make sound decisions, as he did so better than many quality QBs did at a similar stage in their careers (especially considering his age). 

As far as Tannehill is concerned, maybe some of you would like to provide some evidence that Mariota is better, other than team wins.  He's not.  If the roles were reversed, absolutely nobody would be jumping up and down to insert a 24 TD 23 INT quarterback into the starting lineup.  That's where Mariota being "pushed" comes in.  If he doesn't look better than Tannehill in practice, a guy who we're paying $2M this year, what does that say about his value?  Tannehill is that bar that Mariota must clear .  If he doesn't, he's gone.

Tannehill's own team paid to get rid of him.  God help us if he's the bar!

I get you think Mariota sucks and you cant wait for him to lose his job to Tannehill.  Shit maybe that will happen but right now Mariota has cleared the Tannehill bar and he is the starter of the Titans.  If Mariota stays healthy he will be plenty good enough to hold off Tannehill and that ain't saying much.

1 hour ago, bizzyeddie said:

Tannehill's own team paid to get rid of him.  God help us if he's the bar!

I get you think Mariota sucks and you cant wait for him to lose his job to Tannehill.  Shit maybe that will happen but right now Mariota has cleared the Tannehill bar and he is the starter of the Titans.  If Mariota stays healthy he will be plenty good enough to hold off Tannehill and that ain't saying much.

Mariota's own team hasn't given him an extension after 4 seasons.  God help us if he's our starting quarterback!

5 hours ago, abc2330 said:

You make a good point. I like Mariota better but I agree it's very hard to say definitively that Mariota IS better or has been more productive over his career. 

27 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

You make a good point. I like Mariota better but I agree it's very hard to say definitively that Mariota IS better or has been more productive over his career. 

Why do you prefer Mariota?  

7 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

tannehill has 3 more years experience, is 5 years older, and on a per pass basis is the same or worse than mariota in every category... he also has game winning drives at a much lower rate. tannehill had troubles with franchise inconsistency in miami but not even close to the rate our team and QB has dealt with. 

of course theres also that  mariota is better with more potential and a higher ceiling. 

14 minutes ago, titanruss said:

tannehill has 3 more years experience, is 5 years older, and on a per pass basis is the same or worse than mariota in every category... he also has game winning drives at a much lower rate. tannehill had troubles with franchise inconsistency in miami but not even close to the rate our team and QB has dealt with. 

of course theres also that  mariota is better with more potential and a higher ceiling. 

24 TDs and 23 INTs in years 3/4 indicate a super high ceiling.

1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

Aside from being younger he's also a faster processor, more accurate,  has a better release, more dangerous with his legs, and is better in "big time" moments. There are other reasons but I'm sure you won't agree with any of those either.