Cosell on Mariota in 2018

Jonboy

17 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

Mariota will never be top class because he’s a scaredy-cat. Fortune favours the bold.. He dosent throw enough bold balls. The deeper the throw the lower the catch probability can be. But mariota seems to need the same catch probability no matter if it’s a screen vs a 40 yard post.

Its probably his biggest flaw. Moreso than his footwork. If mariota threw 5 more 20 percent balls at a distance of 30 yards game over a rushing attempt the teams PPG would rise by a couple points.

Welcome aboard

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cosell has made a living on reviewing tape despite no evidence of football acumen. Before the Mariota haters chime in and call me a homer, I've had this stance on Cosell forever.   https://p

Cosell's comments are in line with the conversations we've been having for a long time now;  he's just stating it an an evenhanded and objective POV rather than arguing bullet points.      M

Yea Cosell isn't a real scout. The real scouts actually drafted Russell highly.    And there is a huge difference in trying to predict a QB leaving college and coming to the pros vs analyzin

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

What we have to see now is if he's good enough to win with. I think he is and so does Cosell. Funny how that little bit got completely glossed over. 

If he's simply a cog in the machine then they may as well get a new rookie, they can win that way too 

59 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

As I fully expected, Cosell’s credibility is getting questioned on TR.  

His critique today was pretty kind, undoubtedly for the local audience.  The takeaways, though, are obvious to anyone who actually knows how to watch film.  

Bullshit. I've had this stance on Cosell for years. He is selling the idea his access to NFL films makes him an expert. You and others use his shit to confirm your own opinions nothing more. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Mariota processes things too slowly, has bad mechanics, throws inaccurate passes, bails from the pocket too soon or just takes the sack, doesn't pull the trigger when guys are open and doesn't throw with anticipation. 

I don't need Cosell to tell me any of this. I've watched it, I've pointed it out. 

His stats suck, 11 and 13 TDs last two seasons and he had 5 TDs in half of 2016 outside the 8 game streak. His career average is 215 yards passing per game. 

People have made excuses from Mularkey, dropped passes to exaggerated injuries.

Can he play well at times? Sure, it's the pass happiest time in league history. He does some things well at times when everything around him is perfect. 

Deny it all you want, we'll be waiting for you 

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

As I fully expected, Cosell’s credibility is getting questioned on TR.  

His critique today was pretty kind, undoubtedly for the local audience.  The takeaways, though, are obvious to anyone who actually knows how to watch film.  

giphy.gif

Even if you're in a 2QB format, it's tough to rely on Mariota, who is reportedly going to be forced to compete for the starting job heading into the 2019 season. They brought in Ryan Tannehill, who has extremely similar numbers throughout his career to Mariota despite playing with lesser talent. The worst part about Mariota is that he's declined in each of the last two seasons, as this is the time in his career where he's supposed to be coming into his own. He's nothing more than a QB3 hopeful despite all the talent around him.

6 minutes ago, 9 Nines said:

Even if you're in a 2QB format, it's tough to rely on Mariota, who is reportedly going to be forced to compete for the starting job heading into the 2019 season. They brought in Ryan Tannehill, who has extremely similar numbers throughout his career to Mariota despite playing with lesser talent. The worst part about Mariota is that he's declined in each of the last two seasons, as this is the time in his career where he's supposed to be coming into his own. He's nothing more than a QB3 hopeful despite all the talent around him.

Don't derail the thread with misinformation. There is no info or facts that he's being forced to compete for the starting job right now. It's his.

Could he lose it, yes. But the job is his until he implodes in the regular season or gets hurt.

Edited by big2033

10 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Everything I been saying, including on Goff

Start looking for the new QB for 2020, any rookie can at least match Mariota

I don't think anything he said here was actually new from him, and the Goff comparison (as a ceiling for Mariota) has been a popular one of many for a long time too.

Edit: I've been ignoring this main forum for a long time and really haven't missed anything. The same things are still being discussed ad infinitum. Still gonna peace out training camp (which will still mostly be nothing) and finally PSG#1.

Edited by Titans279

I am still planning on watching winning football this year.  I think people discredit the 2017 team.  They were a good enough team to have had a better record.  Mariota was still throwing costly interceptions and not enough TDs.  I don't think No. 5 QB, but Top 10 isn't unreasonable.  You have to realize the team is carrying Mariota.  If he was on a really bad team, you'd have a very different opinion of him.  

What gets a lot of us is knowing how talented the team is now and being considered the worse team in the AFC South.  And everybody knows why.  Mariota has had an easy life in Tennessee.  None of the press has come close to just laying it out like Cosell did today.  Mariota can't throw with anticipation, he even explained spot throws vs anticipated throws.  The explanation of the strong side passing game explained why the receivers are covered so well.  DC study this, they put their worse DB over on the weak side and he pitches a shutout.  

We have some receivers who can ball. Cosell explained exactly what's going on.  How about a nice ball that Taywan can run under without breaking stride?  Can you imagine three perfectly thrown passes to Henry in a game.  That's at least six points.  The QB is supposed to make the players around him better.

If Mariota played like Rodgers who he is often compared to, we would idolize him.  He would be the biggest name in Tennessee and we'd name our babies Marcus.  That's part of what you get for being a great NFL QB.  We'd pay him huge money, name streets after him and elect him mayor of Nashville if he wanted the job.

But if you perform poorly in a job, people are going to criticize you.  It's just part of being a NFL QB.  That's just how it goes.  

Stay healthy.  Prove you are da' man.  

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Mariota processes things too slowly, has bad mechanics, throws inaccurate passes, bails from the pocket too soon or just takes the sack, doesn't pull the trigger when guys are open and doesn't throw with anticipation. 

I don't need Cosell to tell me any of this. I've watched it, I've pointed it out. 

His stats suck, 11 and 13 TDs last two seasons and he had 5 TDs in half of 2016 outside the 8 game streak. His career average is 215 yards passing per game. 

People have made excuses from Mularkey, dropped passes to exaggerated injuries.

Can he play well at times? Sure, it's the pass happiest time in league history. He does some things well at times when everything around him is perfect. 

Deny it all you want, we'll be waiting for you 

Every time you fall back to Mularkey when discussing Mariota an angel gets its wings. 

4 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

That's not even close to true. The average rookie QB isn't good enough to even be a system QB, especially his first couple of years. 

You might want to check the production, he's right in the pack with the rookie QBs last year, except Mayfield who buries him 

2 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Every time you fall back to Mularkey when discussing Mariota an angel gets its wings. 

Briefly mentioning him as one of the many excuses? Yea ok

I can see certain people not wanting that excuse being mentioned. 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

You might want to check the production, he's right in the pack with the rookie QBs last year, except Mayfield who buries him 

There is more to football than numbers and while last 2 seasons have been bad statistically, his first two seasons were much better than any rookie last year save for Mayfield. Either way we both know drafting/playing some rookie QB isn't the answer unless we strike gold and he's a stud. Every team that took a QB last season except for the Browns ended up with a QB worse than Mariota until they improve and that improvement is far from guaranteed. 

18 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Every team that took a QB last season except for the Browns ended up with a QB worse than Mariota until they improve and that improvement is far from guaranteed. 

opinion