tgo

LaFleur Offense

tgo   

I remember arguing with some folks several months ago about how Mularkey’s offense allowed Mariota more freedom and control at the LOS than LaFleur’s, and some posters were adamant to the contrary. 

Apologies if this had been posted elsewhere, but here’s some context on that.

NFL.com's Michael Silver explored this subject in an article last week. "We're running a system I first picked up while working with Kyle (Shanahan) in Houston a decade ago, and we've never really had a quarterback who's had complete freedom to change plays at the line, because that's not really the way the offense is set up," the first-year head honcho explained. Rodgers, who had almost completely autonomy over the offense during Mike McCarthy's reign as head coach, has predictably scoffed at this notion. "It's a conversation in progress," said the two-time MVP while adding, "There aren't many people that can do at the line of scrimmage what I've done over the years." This will be an interesting standoff to follow throughout the summer and one that Rodgers, if he really digs in his heels, is likely to win.

BudAdams   

I think the wording and the media wanting to stir things up is the key here.  The QB doesn't have complete autonomy to call the plays.  Yeah, some of the elite guys earn that trust with the OC's but Rodgers reportedly was changing a third of the play calls.

Soxcat   

If Rodgers wants to change the play at the LOS there isn't much LaFleur can do about it.  Of course, assuming Rodgers is successful, he shouldn't care. 

As for Mariota..... he really needs to be able to make changes if they are warranted in this system.  I don't understand how any QB at that level shouldn't be free to check out if the original play looks bad.  It isn't rocket science to know what your personnel group is and what your limitations are (you don't go I formation with a FB when you have 4 WRs). 

LaFleur can eat a bag of dicks,Rogers also.Cant blame the dude for using us as a stepping stone but our situation at Oc/Coaches is bad enuff.I would have thought Jrob put sum stipulations for Least 2 yrs make sure he stays but guessin not.Thats just smart bussiness especially in our situation so I was surprised by that.

Edited by JMoney420

tgo   
11 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

I think the wording and the media wanting to stir things up is the key here.  The QB doesn't have complete autonomy to call the plays.  Yeah, some of the elite guys earn that trust with the OC's but Rodgers reportedly was changing a third of the play calls.

It's well known that the Shanahan/LaFleur/McVay offenses don't allow the QB much if any autonomy. 

9 minutes ago, JMoney420 said:

LaFleur can eat a bag of dicks,Rogers also.Cant blame the dude for using us as a stepping stone but our situation at Oc/Coaches is bad enuff.I would have thought Jrob put sum stipulations for Least 2 yrs make sure he stays but guessin not.Thats just smart bussiness especially in our situation so I was surprised by that.

They can’t do that. It’s against the rules in the NFL from blocking someone from interviewing or accepting a position that is a promotion. 

nine   

I seem to recall Peyton Manning having similar conversations with Gary Kubiak in Denver.  Peyton was accustomed to being the field general with complete control over the offense;  Kubiak wasn't willing to hand it over and give him free reign.

Seems like they worked it out.

BudAdams   

The whole concept of their scheme is that the look and personnel groupings give you a variety of plays (run or pass) that will work.  It's really about giving the QB condensed options that fit within the framework of the game plan.

The more involved the QB is in the game plan in terms of what they like or what they don't also factors in.

Going back to Manning and his propensity to call his own plays, there clearly were times when it hurt the Colts and Broncos in big spots even though it did work very well most of the time.

this may be a lot to do about nothing but if there is friction than Rodgers needs to STFU and learn the new system.  Then he can work with LaFleur to put his own twist into it and communicate about what parts he likes or doesn't like.

That is the only logical path to success.

If he fights LaFleur from the get go than it's gonna get ugly IMO.

I hope it gets ugly

Edited by bizzyeddie

nine   

Dan Orlovksy suggested that McVay/LaFleur system was also pretty rigid in terms of the QB's read progression and where his eyes should be as the play develops.

Mariota's a pretty passive guy;  I doubt he ever questioned or second-guessed LaFleur's play design or play calls.

Rodgers strikes me as the opposite;  I suspect he has a strong "smartest guy in the room" mentality.   He'll take the coach's play call and play design into  consideration....but ultimately, Aaron is gonna do whatever the F he wants in terms of play call and execution.   He's a spectacularly talented player....but I suspect his personality is a bit much to take.

It'll be interesting to see whether they manage to find common ground or if Rodgers ends up resenting and undermining LaFleur's authority.

1 hour ago, heyitsmeallen said:

They can’t do that. It’s against the rules in the NFL from blocking someone from interviewing or accepting a position that is a promotion. 

Gotcha,i figured with the situation they could maybe stipulate n the contract u stay “such n such”years befor moving on.I imagine it be 2 min that would cut down on turnover.Our situation being what it is idk if I hire lefluer for one yr knowing what Marcus has already been thru and the 5th was coming up.New England did sumthin similar with Caserio but I could be wrong and that’s also more front office than coaching.

japan   
1 hour ago, tgo said:

It's well known that the Shanahan/LaFleur/McVay offenses don't allow the QB much if any autonomy. 

Didn't they have a similar situation to the Rodgers deal in Denver when Manning came over?  Kubiak runs the Shanny system, but didn't they scrap it for Manning to basically run his own plays?  I suspect we see the same in GB.

I see I'm late to this idea...

Edited by japan

4 minutes ago, JMoney420 said:

Gotcha,i figured with the situation they could maybe stipulate n the contract u stay “such n such”years befor moving on.I imagine it be 2 min that would cut down on turnover.Our situation being what it is idk if I hire lefluer for one yr knowing what Marcus has already been thru and the 5th was coming up.New England did sumthin similar with Caserio but I could be wrong and that’s also more front office than coaching.

They def didn’t expect him to leave after one year or they never would have hired him. I think there was a lot more butting heads behind the scenes. Arthur Smith alluded to it somewhat in his interview on Bussin with the Boys.