AussieTitanFan08

JRob quotes on Mariota in today's MMQB Column

3 hours ago, big2033 said:

That only happens to you @titanruss. The guy that nobody wants on their side.

there you go again! 

take a side and own it ya spin docterin' always lyin' waffler

Edited by titanruss

nine   

I doubt JRob signed Humphries and drafted AJ Brown to encourage a more conservative offensive mindset.    They simply want Marcus to do a better job of protecting himself and avoiding unnecessary hits.

One area where I'll give Mularkey props:  he emphasized the importance of the QB protecting himself...and by year three (2017) Marcus was very, very good at it;  in fact, 2017 was the only season of Marcus' career where he didn't miss a game due to a contact-related injury.  (The pulled hamstring at Houston was a non-contact injury.)

In 2018, Marcus took a big step backward in terms of self-preservation.   Whenever his protection broke down or he couldn't find an open receiver,  his first instinct was always to run...which often resulted in sacks.   And instead of sliding to avoid big hits, he ran more like a RB than a QB, routinely taking tacklers head-on....and far too many big hits.

By no means am I saying he should avoid running;  he just has to be smart about it.   If the protection is breaking down and there's a clear opening or escape route....by all means, take it.   

But far too often he tried to run with defenders all around him and no escape route...which led to a ton of sacks.  (This happened repeatedly in the Ravens game).   In situations where there's simply nothing there....instead of trying to make something out of nothing, he's better off just throwing it away.

OILERMAN   

57 minutes ago, nine said:

But far too often he tried to run with defenders all around him and no escape route...which led to a ton of sacks.  

The Ravens kept him in the pocket on purpose. When everything gets discussed about Mariota the thing that is often unsaid is defenses know the book on him now. Keep him in the pocket and make him make progressions. When that happens he consistently breaks down and falls apart in the pocket. He processes things too slowly and then becomes indecisive in the pocket and the Ravens game is the perfect example of a defense exploiting that. 

OILERMAN   

By year 5 running shouldn't even be a part of Mariota's game. He should run only when a called passing play breaks down or a wide open rushing lane presents itself 

He's so far behind where a 5th year QB should be in terms of an NFL passing game they have to use his legs as a big part of the offense and of course he'll get hurt.

8 hours ago, Number9 said:

I doubt Wilson will last much more than three more years.  Sadly, his decline will probably be rapid.

The problem with using those rushing stats is the Titans aren't hitting passes over the top of the defense teams play against them.  They run plays right into it.

I really like Wilson and hope he can find a way to prolong his career.

OILERMAN   
8 hours ago, Number9 said:

I doubt Wilson will last much more than three more years.  Sadly, his decline will probably be rapid.

Why? Wilson probably protects himself as well as any QB ever. The guy rarely takes hits 

big2033   
2 hours ago, nine said:

I doubt JRob signed Humphries and drafted AJ Brown to encourage a more conservative offensive mindset.    They simply want Marcus to do a better job of protecting himself and avoiding unnecessary hits.

One area where I'll give Mularkey props:  he emphasized the importance of the QB protecting himself...and by year three (2017) Marcus was very, very good at it;  in fact, 2017 was the only season of Marcus' career where he didn't miss a game due to a contact-related injury.  (The pulled hamstring at Houston was a non-contact injury.)

In 2018, Marcus took a big step backward in terms of self-preservation.   Whenever his protection broke down or he couldn't find an open receiver,  his first instinct was always to run...which often resulted in sacks.   And instead of sliding to avoid big hits, he ran more like a RB than a QB, routinely taking tacklers head-on....and far too many big hits.

By no means am I saying he should avoid running;  he just has to be smart about it.   If the protection is breaking down and there's a clear opening or escape route....by all means, take it.   

But far too often he tried to run with defenders all around him and no escape route...which led to a ton of sacks.  (This happened repeatedly in the Ravens game).   In situations where there's simply nothing there....instead of trying to make something out of nothing, he's better off just throwing it away.

I think Mularkey just made everything super simple and went for protection rather than extra receivers. The problem with that is your offense looks old and stale.

Whisenhunt is seen a great offensive mind, but his gameplans suck for new QBs because you have to process fast or take a lot of hits. 

OILERMAN   
9 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I think Mularkey just made everything super simple and went for protection rather than extra receivers. The problem with that is your offense looks old and stale.

Defenses also stacked the box early on against the Titans heavy sets and Murray was very effective running the ball. This led to easy reads and throws against single coverage. In Mariota's 8 game stretch in 2016 he hit many big plays off of playaction with defenses selling out to stop the run. 

This happened with WRs like Sharpe as a rookie, Wright and Matthews. Not exactly an all pro list. 

Defenses begin to adjust not just to the Titans but to teams all around the league getting big plays like this. Teams started ignoring playaction and the run and stopping the big pass plays first.

nine   
2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

The Ravens kept him in the pocket on purpose. When everything gets discussed about Mariota the thing that is often unsaid is defenses know the book on him now. Keep him in the pocket and make him make progressions. When that happens he consistently breaks down and falls apart in the pocket. He processes things too slowly and then becomes indecisive in the pocket and the Ravens game is the perfect example of a defense exploiting that. 

See, that's the thing:   "the book" on Mariota seems to change every time they change the playbook.

Marcus' pocket presence took a noticeable and significant step backward last year....it was bad.   If you'll go back and watch film of 2016-2017, he was much better at keeping his eyes downfield and extending plays.  In 2018,  his first instinct was to drop his eyes, tuck the ball and run.   And it had a significant negative impact on his game as a whole.   

(As I've mentioned before, I suspect coaching was partially to blame for this regression.  From his first day on the job, Vrabel emphasized the importance of utilizing Marcus' athleticism and mobility...but nary a word about his continued development as a passer.  That very same year, Marcus' pocket presence  regresses significantly and he shows far more of a "run-first" mindset than previous years.   Does anyone seriously believe this was a coincidence?)

I don't have a problem with the occasional designed QB run as long as Marcus protects himself;   as mentioned earlier, he did an excellent job of this under Mularkey in 2017.    We also saw similar plays  in 2018....but Marcus was far more reckless, resulting in a number of big hits.  The plays aren't the problem....he just has to get back to avoiding the big hits.

But Marcus' running ability is ultimately just so much window dressing....an added-value feature.   Like any other QB, his career is and always will be defined by his ability to function and be productive from the pocket.    He's got to be able to get the job consistently with his arm....and if that means dialing back or eliminating his role as a runner, then so be it.

Not this mariota can't process things crap again. His problems in the pocket are related to pocket presence, footwork, and being afraid to throw into tight windows even though he has the accuracy and arm to do it. Its almost like he's gun shy after turning the ball over which is not the right mentality for a QB. 

japan   
15 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Not this mariota can't process things crap again. His problems in the pocket are related to pocket presence, footwork, and being afraid to throw into tight windows even though he has the accuracy and arm to do it. Its almost like he's gun shy after turning the ball over which is not the right mentality for a QB. 

Oilerman just going through the bulletpoints on his Mariota legal pad.  He’s finally come back around to the ‘Mariota is so bad he can’t go through progressions’ point.  I think today he’ll lead with the ‘Mariota is so bad he can’t be trusted to call audibles’ point.