Dwain McFarland’s RSP Film and Data: The Rule of Three

Huston

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every member of the 2018 receiving corps not named Corey Davis is either being pushed down the depth chart or off the roster entirely in 2019.   This will be easily the strongest supporting

“Having more good players (who do more stuff well) can make you a better team. “  

Dwain McFarland introduces his RSP readers to “The Rule of Three’s,” impact on the NFL passing game in this installment of Film And Data.   In a recent discussion with a colleague who has se

Posted Images

On 6/23/2019 at 11:44 PM, Huston said:

Tennessee Titans

New Faces:  Adam Humphries, A.J. Brown

Returning to Health:  Delanie Walker

On paper, the Titans are better than ever in Marcus Mariota’s tenure.  Last season they lost tight end Delanie Walker after week one and Taywan Taylor struggled to find consistency.  Now, they can line up strong route runners at all three receiver positions.  Adam Humpries will work from the slot to provide Mariota with quick reads underneath.  A.J. Brown will likely start outside at flanker serving as another short to intermediate option who also has some after the catch wiggle.

Add these components to Corey Davis plus the receiving versatility of running back Dion Lewis and you have a team that can beat win in multiple ways.  The Titans are much more likely to find consistent mismatches in the passing game in 2019 with this roster construction.

Median Projected Efficiency Impact:  Mariota increases his YPA to 7.75 and his TDPA from 3.5% to 4.5%

Median Team Passing Totals:  3,975 Yards and 23 Touchdowns

Aggressive Projected Efficiency Impact:  Mariota increases his YPA to 8.25 and his TDPA to 5.5%

Aggressive Projected Team Passing Totals:  4,230 Yards and 28 TDs

The one concern I have is the lack of a true vertical element.  Having that would open up additional space for the underneath routes.

The rest of article https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2019/06/20/dwain-mcfarlands-rsp-film-and-data-the-rule-of-three/

This guy  must be forgetting about Taywan Taylor!

"Taywan Taylor struggled to find consistency."

Oh nvm, there he is. 

Edited by Mythos27

In fairness Taylor came on at the end of the year, most likely a result of the overall offense improving. He clearly has a burst & Id much rather keep him then Tajae as the 4th WR. I also think Batson could make a push.

But getting back to the article this was interesting. Robinson obviously badly wanted Humphries , who I wasn’t overly ecstatic about  at first until I saw his catch% the last 2 years. Marcus hasn’t had a quick slot option since he’s been here. And AJB is a very good short/intermediate option who can out physical people as well as get deep on occasion. If Walker hasn’t lost anything & let’s hope Jonnu Smith picks up where he left off we should be able to flood the field with solid options.

In contrast I think the smart defenses are investing in multiple cover people, specifically matchup type players. We know the Pats wanted Humphries & we also know that we were interested in JoJuan Williams, who the Pats picked, a 6’4 corner who they see as a matchup player for TE’s & bigger WR’s, as well as red zone stuff. We obviously took Hooker who can cover TE’s & the slot.

I think we’re fairly well situated on both sides.

6 minutes ago, Face said:

I thought it was the shocker

the scout salute is 3 in the pink

the rocker is 1 in each hole (like the rock and roll hand signal)

shocker is 2 in the pink and 1 in the stink. 

the "spocker" is 2 in the pink 2 in the stink. 

i think there are more. 

30 minutes ago, titanruss said:

the scout salute is 3 in the pink

the rocker is 1 in each hole (like the rock and roll hand signal)

shocker is 2 in the pink and 1 in the stink. 

the "spocker" is 2 in the pink 2 in the stink. 

i think there are more. 

This is correct. 

What the fuck is this offseason?