Dwain McFarland’s RSP Film and Data: The Rule of Three

Huston

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Every member of the 2018 receiving corps not named Corey Davis is either being pushed down the depth chart or off the roster entirely in 2019.   This will be easily the strongest supporting

“Having more good players (who do more stuff well) can make you a better team. “  

Dwain McFarland introduces his RSP readers to “The Rule of Three’s,” impact on the NFL passing game in this installment of Film And Data.   In a recent discussion with a colleague who has se

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, nine said:

Every member of the 2018 receiving corps not named Corey Davis is either being pushed down the depth chart or off the roster entirely in 2019.

This will be easily the strongest supporting cast Marcus has seen as an NFL player;  hopefully this is reflected in his performance.    If not...the next guy will be coming into a solid situation where most or all of the pieces are already in place.

I agree. I hope it’s Mariota. For the sake of MM himself and the team. He deserves every chance even going into year five and he is everything you want out of a franchise QB off the field and even on it in terms of winning and leadership. He needs to stay healthy and make a positive step forward after negative steps backwards the last two years. However I think last year wasn’t as bad as many think. He improved and had a few TD’s dropped and they ran for a lot of TDS at end of year where he could’ve piled on a couple extra TD passes and looked better. He did it while not being able to grip the ball or feel half of his hand. 

In the event we have to move on it needs to be the right guy and we need to take our time doing it to get it right. They will have everything surrounding them to succeed in terms of OL, WR’s, defense and run game. 

I would still prefer Marcus

Remember The 2011 Broncos loaded with Eric Decker, Damirius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Willis McGahee? 

The same skill people and the offense exploded the next year, points per game went from 19 to 30+. 

The skill people didn't change, the QB changed

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Remember The 2011 Broncos loaded with Eric Decker, Damirius Thomas, Julius Thomas and Willis McGahee? 

The same skill people and the offense exploded the next year, points per game went from 19 to 30+. 

The skill people didn't change, the QB changed

Yeah, well having 3 good WRs is kind of worthless with Tim Tebow throwing the ball...

38 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Not only did they go from Tebow..... they went to a HOF QB.  Give OMan credit for trying to take two extremes and make a point from them. 

Yeah, well Manning was past his HOF-level days with Denver so it’s not quite that simple. 

40 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Yea well his first year in Denver was one of his best of his career.  106 QB rating, 5th in total passing yards.  69% completion rate.  37 TDs.  That seems pretty simple to me.  For a second I thought you were grasping being rational but ............. 

You are talking statistics, I’m talking his physical abilities. 

As as was pointed out, he had a great team around him. But by the end of the year teams had figured out he didn’t have his old arm strength any more. They had pretty well worked around that, but he wasn’t the same as he had been pre-injury. 

10 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

You are talking statistics, I’m talking his physical abilities. 

As as was pointed out, he had a great team around him. But by the end of the year teams had figured out he didn’t have his old arm strength any more. They had pretty well worked around that, but he wasn’t the same as he had been pre-injury. 

Peyton's arm faded down the stretch in 2014 and was completely shot in 2015 ....but before that, he was still playing and producing at an HOF level.    His second season in Denver (5477 yards, 55 TDs, 115.1 passer rating) was among the greatest (if not THE greatest) single-season quarterbacking performances in NFL history.

He was nearing the end of his career at that point...but suggesting he was past his prime is more than a bit disingenuous.

4 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

So what about his incredible season in year 2 at Denver?  55 TDs.  Think what he might have done if he was 100%?

I didn’t say he was a shitty QB by then, he just didn’t have the same arm strength he had before the injury. He had 4 excellent receivers and he was still was a great QB aside from his deep ball.