Are you for Taxpayer funding of NEW NFL Stadiums for Teams?

Number9

SUPPORT TAXPAYER FUNDS FOR NEW STADIUMS  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think city tax dollars should be spent to build new team stadiums?

9 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

Ummm...taxes worked that way in America until 1912.

Individual rights were not a secondary thought...they were the original thought, and were the reason for revolution.  Moving away from the Articles of Confederation is what led to the Constitution Congress.  Only when the founders realized there would be people like you down the road, did they decide to assert the things they took for granted through the Bill of Rights.

You're entire argument has been an oversimplification bordering on laziness.  

Im assuming you were refrencing income tax when you mentioned 1912. Are you trying to say before income tax whenever you said a tariff or sales tax or inherited something that the tax man woukd ask you how how you wanted it spent.... And that the goverment would oblige your dead uncle's wish that the portion if the money he left you could only be spent on bear traps along the Canadian border or w/e your ok with.

They had few taxes to start with cause local goverment provided more services back then. It was till the late 19th centure that most people said they were American instead of a Floridian or Virginian.

Yes the goverment has changed to be much more top heavy than planned but that has benefits as well as drawbacks.

I wonder all the time how the president got to the point of doing damn near anything he wants in the last 50 years.

But this also stops some states from doing crazy dumb crap too.

Living in a country of any kind is a trade off of individual freedom for services. Every form of goverment ever is that to different degrees. But that isn't tyranny that is life.

Edit: the Revolution was about representation not taxes. They didn't care if they were taxed they just wanted a vote. Yes they saw some taxes as excessive but they didn't think there should be no taxes period.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys are thinking on too small a scale. Think about what Downtown Nashville looks like since yhe Titans and Preds built stadiums. If done correctly it can be very beneficial to taxpayers and the c

I listened to a economist on the subject and here are a few quick google results:   "The idea that sports is a catalyst for economic development just doesn't hold water."  —Robert Baade, s

@OILERMAN has ruined my life.  https://www.newschannel5.com/news/man-falls-to-his-death-from-broadway-rooftop   Last night down in Honky Tonk, 343,000 people showed up to watch the firew

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

If people vote for a new stadium then whatever, it's democracy

But comparing roads and law enforcement to that is a bad comparison. A large chunk of people in a city will never use the stadium or watch a game. Everyone uses the other stuff. 

I will never need woman's health care but i think it should be provided.

No one in Montana is gona likely see a benefit from using tax dollars to repair damage from hurricanes but that is something most could agree on. A boarder wall won't help alaska but they have to pay for it if it happena as well. People pay for crap they will never use all the time.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:06 AM, IsntLifeFunny said:

The idea behind federalism was to have democracy work in the states in conjunction with the federal government and alongside the rest of the states. The idea a statewide referendum is somehow against the idea of our foundation is so off-base as to make me glad Iowa doesn’t frequent the OT forum. 

He was run out of the OT forum a few years back.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Reliance on Obamacare for his kid who had a preexisting condition. 

Wait the your taxing me is tyranny and I should be allowed to do what ever I want libertarian jesus had goverment health care and not private insurance?

That makes sense.

55 minutes ago, Callidus said:

Wait the your taxing me is tyranny and I should be allowed to do what ever I want libertarian jesus had goverment health care and not private insurance?

Which is what oldschool was referencing in regards to his banishment from the political forums.

There are a million examples of conservatives becoming liberal when personally facing problems. Dick Cheney was pretty pro gay after his daughter was gay etc.... the list is a mile long 

Iowa I do want you to know I was giving you shit about your political principles and interpretations, not for doing what was needed for your kid.

Im an ass, not a hearthless douchbag.

Atlest thats what i keep telling myself.

Edited by Callidus
I cant type

11 hours ago, Callidus said:

Iowa I do want you to know I was giving you shit about your political principles and interpretations, not for doing what was needed for your kid.

Im an ass, not a hearthless douchbag.

Atlest thats what i keep telling myself.

If you believe @oldschool or @OILERMAN, you're a fool.  I never had government healthcare.  My oldest boy had some issues prior to Obamacare and when I left my job to take another, insurance wouldn't cover him until he had no incidents for 3 years.  We self-insured until insurance would cover him.  

As far the the politics forum, I left because it was just the usual suspects in there thinking as long as they had each other to politically jerk-off to, it meant they were correct.  Nothing is ever accomplished there, and when I discuss politics, I do so not for the person I'm debating, but for those reading the discussion with an open mind.  Those people don't frequent the politics forum because any hint of straying from the liberal klan's one identity is met with ridicule both there and here in the football forum.  

As far as taxes, I said from the beginning that income taxes are immoral.  Money is earned through trade...trading labor (hard work and intelligence), and the government has no right to our labor.  

Feel free to believe what you want, that's your right...at least until the government decides differently.  I would just advise not to believe the internet musings of a mailman or tax bracket hero.

How do you expect the goverment to provide courts, law enforcement, and god knows a military without taxes. You are living in a fairytale.

As for income tax being evil.

Sales tax is a percentage of the cost of a product paid by a consumer.

Tariffs are a percentage tax on a product paid by the provider.

Income tax is percentage tax applied to a provider for services rendered.

They are all very similar.

Edit:Shouldn't have put percentage in my definitions, they can br a flat amount that is juat far less common.

Edited by Callidus
Added edit

On 7/1/2019 at 9:59 AM, Callidus said:

How do you expect the goverment to provide courts, law enforcement, and god knows a military without taxes. You are living in a fairytale.

As for income tax being evil.

Sales tax is a percentage of the cost of a product paid by a consumer.

Tariffs are a percentage tax on a product paid by the provider.

Income tax is percentage tax applied to a provider for services rendered.

They are all very similar.

Edit:Shouldn't have put percentage in my definitions, they can br a flat amount that is juat far less common.

What?  Your definition of income tax makes zero sense, and I honesty question if you are just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.  Income tax is the price we pay government for being contributing members of society...well, the top 50% of wage earners do.  It's immoral and indefensible.

I never said no taxes, I said no INCOME taxes.  Government is too big, we hand out too much in social programs, and send too much into the military abyss.  

10 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

What?  Your definition of income tax makes zero sense, and I honesty question if you are just throwing things at the wall to see what sticks.  Income tax is the price we pay government for being contributing members of society...well, the top 50% of wage earners do.  It's immoral and indefensible.

I never said no taxes, I said no INCOME taxes.  Government is too big, we hand out too much in social programs, and send too much into the military abyss.  

I agree on the military spending. If companies would pay employees a living wage we could get rid of some social programs. But waiting for corperations to do the right thing is a bad idea.

My defenition was

Income tax is a percentage tax applied to a provider for services rendered.

In this case you me or anyone else working is the provider of services.

You and your labor. Like I said that is the same as sales tax just backwards. Are they the same? No. Are they evil? No.

Hell it was your side that said companies are people. think of your self as a one man temp agency and your geting taxed for it. Have a nice day.

Edited by Callidus
I cant type

On 6/21/2019 at 3:16 PM, BudAdams said:

In theory I’m against public funding but the harsh reality is that cities that take the hard stand lose the teams.  Exactly how the Oilers came here.  

If you want to be a true major league city, you need a pro team.  Houston ended up building a new stadium at a higher cost 5 years later in order to get the NFL back.

No hosting of the NFL draft if there’s no team. No hosting of playoff games or providing citizens with great memories.

This is where I’m at. I don’t like it. I’m not for it. But I understand there is a cost here, and what we won’t do for the Titans another city will. I think you really hit the nail on the head. Unless every city/state passed legislation prohibiting this then it is unlikely to ever change. 

On 7/3/2019 at 9:37 AM, Callidus said:

I agree on the military spending. If companies would pay employees a living wage we could get rid of some social programs. But waiting for corperations to do the right thing is a bad idea.

My defenition was

Income tax is a percentage tax applied to a provider for services rendered.

In this case you me or anyone else working is the provider of services.

You and your labor. Like I said that is the same as sales tax just backwards. Are they the same? No. Are they evil? No.

Hell it was your side that said companies are people. think of your self as a one man temp agency and your geting taxed for it. Have a nice day.

You have demonstrated a fundamental misunderstanding of economics, and have attempted to put me on a side...both being detrimental to your argument and this discussion.

Labor is traded for money, and the market determines the value of that labor.  This isn't a theory, this is fact.  Being forced to give the government a percentage (tax) for trading my labor is immoral, and absurd, and evil.  Plus, of course, only the top 50% of wage earners actually pay this tax in the US, so if the argument is that we are paying for that 'privilege' (god only knows your concept of natural rights), why aren't all people using this 'privilege' taxed fairly?  The current system is akin to handing your dog a biscuit when it pisses on the floor, and then beating it's ass when it pisses outside.

Regardless, I'm not into arguing flat-earthers, or people that dispute the evolution of species, or those with a grade-school education on economics.  Thanks though.