Number9

Are you for Taxpayer funding of NEW NFL Stadiums for Teams?

SUPPORT TAXPAYER FUNDS FOR NEW STADIUMS  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think city tax dollars should be spent to build new team stadiums?

japan   
1 hour ago, IowaOiler said:

Not trying to build a straw man, but doesn't that mean you're ok using force to make people fund the things they don't really want?  If that's the case, maybe they should have stayed in Houston, or moved elsewhere.

It was put to a vote. No one was forced to do anything. 

Number9   
7 minutes ago, japan said:

Silly stuff. I’ve lived here since the early 90s and I know that downtown and Broadway was a ghost town until pro sports arrived.  Mayor Bredesen is the real reason for what we see today as he was smart enough to put the pro sports teams in place then start luring companies to the area. You can’t tie the titans directly to the cities revitalization, but it was a big part of the ingredients that became Nashville. I’m not for using tax payer money to support billionaires but you can’t be ignorant and stick your head in the sand.

Just a total over simplification of what happened.

16 hours ago, japan said:

It was put to a vote. No one was forced to do anything. 

You didn't answer my question.  

Regardless, if it was put to a vote and 49% said no (or even 1%), the government WOULD be using force against the minority to fund what the 51% want.  

Not exactly the point of a Republic, IMO, but I would have been happier if Bud and company would have just funded their own stadium in Houston and left the team there.

japan   
1 hour ago, IowaOiler said:

Regardless, if it was put to a vote and 49% said no (or even 1%), the government WOULD be using force against the minority to fund what the 51% want.  

Not exactly the point of a Republic, IMO, but I would have been happier if Bud and company would have just funded their own stadium in Houston and left the team there.

You understand how voting works in our country?  Yeesh. 

8 minutes ago, japan said:

You understand how voting works in our country?  Yeesh. 

Lol...yeah.  Are you needing me to explain it?

japan   
3 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

Lol...yeah.  Are you needing me to explain it?

I'm not sure how to respond to you.  59% of the people in the county voted for the referendum.  If the people against it feel forced, then they can pick up and move to Williamson county or somewhere else. 

Callidus   
5 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

That is exactly what a democracy is lol. It is the majority no matter how small shiting on everyone else.

I cant believe this country expects me to not kill anyone I want because thr so called majority think its wtong....

Edited by Callidus

10 hours ago, japan said:

I'm not sure how to respond to you.  59% of the people in the county voted for the referendum.  If the people against it feel forced, then they can pick up and move to Williamson county or somewhere else. 

That's true, and actually answers my question.  You support the use of force when it comes to implementing the will of the majority.

9 hours ago, Callidus said:

That is exactly what a democracy is lol. It is the majority no matter how small shiting on everyone else.

I cant believe this country expects me to not kill anyone I want because thr so called majority think its wtong....

We don't live in a democracy...and obviously there is a difference between killing someone and voting to confiscate funds for a football stadium.  Please see: Rights

Number9   
2 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

That's true, and actually answers my question.  You support the use of force when it comes to implementing the will of the majority.

We don't live in a democracy...and obviously there is a difference between killing someone and voting to confiscate funds for a football stadium.  Please see: Rights

Warning  Slow down here, we are approaching the edge ...|                                                                                                 IowaOiler

Downtown   

I don't buy the argument that the city got "nothing" out of the deal. Nashville was never going to spend tax revenue to revitalize the industrial wasteland that was the east side of the river. If it takes a football stadium to get fiscal conservatives on board with tax funded urban redevelopment, then so be it. I actually don't agree with tax-payers footing the bill for sports stadiums/arenas, but it seems to be the most approachable strategy to get the majority of citizens on board with revitalization. I strongly believe that tax-payers should make development of their community a priority and actively take part in utilizing a city's amenities. If that amenity is a river, then its in the economic interest of that city to build up that area. And so forth for other cities. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Downtown   

Now if we could go back in time and decide whether to spend 500 million on a stadium OR 500 million on greenways, parks, and river development, you're damn right I'm choosing the greenways. That just isn't the option that most cities have on the table. So it becomes easy to rally your support around the symbol that is your "hometown team."

abenjami   
On 6/21/2019 at 1:32 PM, begooode said:

What’s twice as shitty about the revenue collection, imo, is that often it is disproportionately placed on visitors through hotel and car rental taxes, etc,... essentially turning the city into something resembling a speed trap to feed their stadiums. classic taxation without representation, jacking up costs with no opportunity for travelers to opt out — terribly disingenuous. 

You can opt out by not travelling there or by bringing a tent.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:00 PM, japan said:

Silly stuff. I’ve lived here since the early 90s and I know that downtown and Broadway was a ghost town until pro sports arrived.  Mayor Bredesen is the real reason for what we see today as he was smart enough to put the pro sports teams in place then start luring companies to the area. You can’t tie the titans directly to the cities revitalization, but it was a big part of the ingredients that became Nashville. I’m not for using tax payer money to support billionaires but you can’t be ignorant and stick your head in the sand.

The team was a result of the growth, not a cause of it.  The city was growing before the Titans arrived (that was part of Bredesen's selling point to Adams) and the city was growing afterwards.  Had the Titans never moved here there wouldn't be much difference in the growth of the city.  It would still be the mess that it is.

22 hours ago, IowaOiler said:

There is nothing more democratic in this world than a public referendum on the ballot...