Number9

Are you for Taxpayer funding of NEW NFL Stadiums for Teams?

SUPPORT TAXPAYER FUNDS FOR NEW STADIUMS  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think city tax dollars should be spent to build new team stadiums?

1 hour ago, TK43 said:

Not like the other tax dollars are being spent wisely ... might as well spend it on something I enjoy

In the same boat. Not a fan of public financing of stadiums.  However...  if my family is going to be punished with a higher tax rate for the crime of not sucking at life in order to (among many other things) waste money those who do suck, I want as much of that money as possible wasted on something that benefits my family.  I simply want as much of an ROI as I can get.

That being said, I don't live in Davidson County and don't care about the taxes in Davidson County.  

One other pet peeve:  what difference does it make if the owners are billionaires?  Public funding for stadiums is a good/bad idea regardless of an owner's wealth.  

japan   

I would suggest that Nashville is the one city to buck these studies.  The arrival of the NFL and to a lesser extent the NHL are a stark dividing line between being a backwoods town then to the ‘it’ city of today. I know people hate to give any credit to the greedy owners but the truth is the truth. 

Edited by japan

Number9   
36 minutes ago, japan said:

I would suggest that Nashville is the one city to buck these studies.  The arrival of the NFL and to a lesser extent the NHL are a stark dividing line between being a backwoods town then to the ‘it’ city of today. I know people hate to give any credit to the greedy owners but the truth is the truth. 

Do you live in Nashville?  Have you been living in Nashville very long?

Number9   

As Titans fans/NFL fans we tend to see things through football colored lenses.  We see a world revolved around football and the Titans.  Nashville has been a kind of well kept secret for a long time.  The city has always enjoyed higher incomes that it's comparable and has had a strong economy based off healthcare and printing(religious).  Those two are almost recession proof, then you add in the universities in the city you come up with an educated populous with slightly more income than other southern cities.  The music industry also isn't being moved to other countries.

The Titans can't even sell out the stadium.  The TV show Nashville is what got all this excitement started.  When that show started, Nashville started this latest growth spurt.  If you ask anyone what's in Nashville, the Titans are not the number one answer.  Even the NFL Draft was huge because of the Nashville venue, not the Titans.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brittanyhodak/2015/10/28/the-real-life-impact-of-abcs-nashville/#7050b2bb1e2d

A tourism study last year found nearly 1 in 5 Nashville visitors who were viewers of the show cited the show as a motivating factor in their decision to vacation in Music City. Viewers also reportedly stayed longer and spent 23% more money while in town. With several Nashville-themed tours and activity guides - including a four-day, three-night tour package dreamed up by ABC’s parent company Disney - it’s not difficult for TV fans to immerse themselves in the world of Rayna Jaymes, Deacon Claybourne and Juliette Barnes.

Beyond the tourism impact, the show is directly responsible for millions of dollars in revenue for those in and around the music industry. 

3 hours ago, Number9 said:

The increased Nashville population isn't because of the Titans.  The downtown renewal and East Nashville development came for different reasons.  East Nashville got popular because the artsy types fled the high rent of the Music Row area.  The older residents are Nashvillians too and they have been forced out of the city.  Additionally, in this case the team name in the Tennessee Titans.  Lot of announcers called them Houston for several years and I met people all the time who said "yeah, Nashville is where the Titans play"

The downtown development is an entirely different story.  All the revenue from that area goes to the Music Center Center, estimate 300sq blocks of downtown called Honky Tonk.  I am sure a lot of revenue comes in now when the team plays, but the city doesn't get any.  Nothing.  So,  in essence the area we were told would bring revenue to the city was budgeted to only one section.  School books.  Parks.  Roads.  EMS.  And a lot of more don't get a nickel.

I would be the first one crying if the team left, but where do I really follow the team?  On the Internet.

The Music City Center is the straw that broke the camel's back. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on three blocks of  convention space on prime real estate when there was already some downtown (that ended up getting sold for pennies on the dollar), and a ton more out at Gaylord has to be the biggest waste of taxpayer dollars ever, I don't care how cool it looks or how great it is during the SEC tournament.

GOAT9   

I am okay with tax fundraising for stadiums but I think the % of the stadium funded should be much lower. The league/owners should foot a larger portion. 

japan   
12 hours ago, Number9 said:

Do you live in Nashville?  Have you been living in Nashville very long?

Yes

japan   
10 hours ago, No1TitansFan said:

The Music City Center is the straw that broke the camel's back. Spending hundreds of millions of dollars on three blocks of  convention space on prime real estate when there was already some downtown (that ended up getting sold for pennies on the dollar), and a ton more out at Gaylord has to be the biggest waste of taxpayer dollars ever, I don't care how cool it looks or how great it is during the SEC tournament.

Wow. Some of you guys have your heads in the sand. The convention center being built on the cheap during the recession was a stroke of genius. 

I agree with @OILERMAN, and every study and book I've read on the matter explains how it's a poor financial move.

If the city wants a team, then raise money through fundraisers and let the people vote with their dollars.  Don't force people to contribute their hard-earned money in taxes because you and the owners want a team or new stadium.

japan   
1 minute ago, IowaOiler said:

I agree with @OILERMAN, and every study and book I've read on the matter explains how it's a poor financial move.

If the city wants a team, then raise money through fundraisers and let the people vote with their dollars.  Don't force people to contribute their hard-earned money in taxes because you and the owners want a team or new stadium.

While that’s the ideal situation, we would never have gotten a team to move here. Cities like LA can do that. 

Number9   
3 hours ago, japan said:

Yes

Then you know the Titans and the Preds haven't been the catalyst to the big boom.  Nashville is the #1 city in the country for bachelorette parties.  They come here to have a girls party for the bride to be and then go see the Titans?  Ok.  The Titans are what we like.  I admit when they first came, they were a boost to Saturday night/Sunday on 2nd Ave.  Today Honky Tonk is rocking seven days a week and this is every week.  The NFL gives a city a big city vibe, but the Titans are not that popular.  During the season people complain about the visiting teams having too many fans.

I love the Titans.  The Adams family is 1.55B richer, how about use .5B to finance a new stadium.  The team will be worth 5B in 20 years.  Greed.  The owners take advantage of cities.  The city just financed the new MLS team.  The key is what will the team be worth in 20 years?  Who owns the team?  Soccer could be extremely popular in the USA in 20 years.  When poor people, represented by poor greedy people negotiate with billionaires-who do you bet get the best $$$ bargain?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/01/10/nashville-mls-stadium-fairgrounds-bond-sale/2537279002/

Edited by Number9
add link

5 hours ago, japan said:

While that’s the ideal situation, we would never have gotten a team to move here. Cities like LA can do that. 

Not trying to build a straw man, but doesn't that mean you're ok using force to make people fund the things they don't really want?  If that's the case, maybe they should have stayed in Houston, or moved elsewhere.

Callidus   
19 hours ago, The Toddster said:

In the same boat. Not a fan of public financing of stadiums.  However...  if my family is going to be punished with a higher tax rate for the crime of not sucking at life in order to (among many other things) waste money those who do suck, I want as much of that money as possible wasted on something that benefits my family.  I simply want as much of an ROI as I can get.

That being said, I don't live in Davidson County and don't care about the taxes in Davidson County.  

One other pet peeve:  what difference does it make if the owners are billionaires?  Public funding for stadiums is a good/bad idea regardless of an owner's wealth.  

I dont wana start something here and if i do we can take it to another part of the forum but......

Are you saying warren buffet and a single mother working at walmart should pay the same % in income tax?

Again sorry if i took what you said wrong

japan   
3 hours ago, Number9 said:

Then you know the Titans and the Preds haven't been the catalyst to the big boom.  Nashville is the #1 city in the country for bachelorette parties.  They come here to have a girls party for the bride to be and then go see the Titans?  Ok.  The Titans are what we like.  I admit when they first came, they were a boost to Saturday night/Sunday on 2nd Ave.  Today Honky Tonk is rocking seven days a week and this is every week.  The NFL gives a city a big city vibe, but the Titans are not that popular.  During the season people complain about the visiting teams having too many fans.

I love the Titans.  The Adams family is 1.55B richer, how about use .5B to finance a new stadium.  The team will be worth 5B in 20 years.  Greed.  The owners take advantage of cities.  The city just financed the new MLS team.  The key is what will the team be worth in 20 years?  Who owns the team?  Soccer could be extremely popular in the USA in 20 years.  When poor people, represented by poor greedy people negotiate with billionaires-who do you bet get the best $$$ bargain?

https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2019/01/10/nashville-mls-stadium-fairgrounds-bond-sale/2537279002/

Silly stuff. I’ve lived here since the early 90s and I know that downtown and Broadway was a ghost town until pro sports arrived.  Mayor Bredesen is the real reason for what we see today as he was smart enough to put the pro sports teams in place then start luring companies to the area. You can’t tie the titans directly to the cities revitalization, but it was a big part of the ingredients that became Nashville. I’m not for using tax payer money to support billionaires but you can’t be ignorant and stick your head in the sand.