Number9

Are you for Taxpayer funding of NEW NFL Stadiums for Teams?

SUPPORT TAXPAYER FUNDS FOR NEW STADIUMS  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think city tax dollars should be spent to build new team stadiums?

The Titans have done well in Nashville.  The Oilers came to Nashville worth about 500M.  Over the years they put some great teams, some good teams and some bad teams on the field.  The Titans are now worth about 2.05B.  Similar values are assessed to teams around the NFL.  Some cities refuse to pay for new NFL stadiums.  San Diego and St Louis saw their teams move to LA.  Oakland's Raiders is moving to Las Vegas.  Do you think the taxpayers should have paid?  

opinions

Edited by Number9

Nashville just hosted the NFL Draft.  They announced the city made 244M and soon after they announced a plan to increase property taxes by 20%.  I love the Titans, but I would be against funding a new NFL stadium.  The team is worth 1.55B more today than it was when they came.  Should they just get to keep all that appreciation and just leave us with an empty stadium to tear down?

In theory I’m against public funding but the harsh reality is that cities that take the hard stand lose the teams.  Exactly how the Oilers came here.  

If you want to be a true major league city, you need a pro team.  Houston ended up building a new stadium at a higher cost 5 years later in order to get the NFL back.

No hosting of the NFL draft if there’s no team. No hosting of playoff games or providing citizens with great memories.

Edited by BudAdams

3 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

In theory I’m against public funding but the harsh reality is that cities that take the hard stand lose the teams.  Exactly how the Oilers came here.  

If you want to be a true major league city, you need a pro team.  Houston ended up building a new stadium at a higher cost 5 years later in order to get the NFL back.

No hosting of the NFL draft if there’s no team. No hosting of playoff games or providing citizens with great memories.

I agree with you on those things, but I'm not so sure San Diego will be a sad place without the Chargers.  Does St Louis miss the Rams?  Oakland is the worse example of NFL greed over people in the history of the league.  The Raiders are an NFL icon and it all grew out of poor ass Oakland.  They just didn't have the money and the NFL left them.

On 6/21/2019 at 4:18 PM, BudAdams said:

I’d add that most cities blow through taxpayer money across the board with gross negligence.

What’s twice as shitty about the revenue collection, imo, is that often it is disproportionately placed on visitors through hotel and car rental taxes, etc,... essentially turning the city into something resembling a speed trap to feed their stadiums. classic taxation without representation, jacking up costs with no opportunity for travelers to opt out — terribly disingenuous. 

Edited by begooode

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

So? It's not a big deal 

33 minutes ago, oldschool said:

You guys are thinking on too small a scale. Think about what Downtown Nashville looks like since yhe Titans and Preds built stadiums. If done correctly it can be very beneficial to taxpayers and the city from an economic and development standpoint. 

There has been a ton of data since cities have started funding stadiums, the cities always lose and the promise for revenue always falls short 

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

There has been a ton of data since cities have started funding stadiums, the cities always lose and the promise for revenue always falls short 

Not Always. It has to be done right.