Sign in to follow this  
9 Nines

Anyone regret that the Titans drafted Mariota

5 hours ago, Number9 said:

That's it!  They said Mariota and Carr were going to be two of the new QB to carry the NFL into the future.

Its the draft hyperbole is at an all time high during that spectacle. His numbers in college were great but the second and third progressions were bad. As of right now I think he will play in the NFL for a while and win some games. At this point, unless he takes off and reaches several new levels, I would not hitch my wagon to him any longer. I am rooting for the kid, but Im betting against him...

nine   

I see little point in pondering "what if".

Had the Titans not drafted Mariota....would Whisenhunt have been fired at midseason for failing to protect the team's #1 investment?   Or would he have been allowed to finish the season?     

It's hard to imagine Wentz or Goff having the same success under Mularkey/Robiskie...but then again, would Mularkey have been the hire?  Or would the organization have gone in a different direction?

Too many variables and what-ifs.

japan   

Eh.  It’s a crap shoot at QB even picking that high. If he doesn’t put it together this season, he at least won us our first playoff game since 2003.  

OILERMAN   
1 hour ago, nine said:

It's hard to imagine Wentz or Goff having the same success under Mularkey/Robiskie...

Not really. 

Goff's first season under McVay he had 28 TDs 7 INTs

Mariota's first season under Mularkey 26 Tds and 9 INTs

Their passer rating was within 4 or 5 points. 

Looks pretty easy to imagine to me 

HOTT   

I don't regret it because I didn't do it.  He was the top QB on the board that year but he hasn't progressed much if any at all since joining the Titans.  It's very close to fish or cut bait for the Titans.  I wouldn't be surprised to see him gone by this time next year.

Number9   

Injuries.  Inconsistent play may or may no improve, but if a player isn't on the field/hampered by injury you will never know how much he could develop.  My guess is not much more than he has been, improved but still not the solution.

PSG3®, shout out to my followers.

abc2330   

Of course not.  Even in hindsight.  He isn't close to being a top QB draft bust out a top 5 bust in general.  But giving him an extension if he is anything short of great this season could be very regrettable.