Bad Situation

Number9

4 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

That is bizarre.  Was there unanimous resentment towards him prior to that going down, or were people getting carried away with the humor of that entire situation?  I'm sure it didn't help that he claimed himself to be better than everyone else.  I'm just curious if the backlash was because everyone felt betrayed by having a level of respect on some level to find out that he was a fraud, or if they just didn't like him.

He had started - I dunno the best way to put it - becoming a parody of himself for awhile.  He was always contentious and a bit controversial but every so often he’d take part in some meaningful discussion.  That had started becoming more rare in his last couple years here.  Instead it was basically all just self-congratulatory, usually outlandish takes on things to the point even those that were kinda his buddies were put off by him.  It was a gradual decline at first that turned into an avalanche at the end.  I will say the ribbing he got at first when he posted the pictures wasn’t that bad.  But he made it get bad by being overly defensive and trying to “own” the haters.  Once there was real blood in the water it was over for him.  

Edited by Mercalius

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am one of those 'older guys' who does not understand the need or the desire to harass, insult, demean, or otherwise bully and intimidate another person anywhere in life, including a message board.  

I really thought this was going to be another Mariota thread tbh

merc has it pretty well laid out.    CTF actually sent me some stuff from his family business. It was some fitness type stuff, a box of various stuff. It was a nice genuine gesture. Honestly

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, scine09 said:

CTF had serious issues I think.  He'd randomly go off on someone for what seemed like no apparent reason.  It's almost like he used this board as his way to blow off steam.  But he took things to a level that was way too personal.  

I wish he was still here for when Jeff Fisher got fired.

I remember several times he had come at me for reasons completely unrelated to the Titans, and that’s what really charged my frustration with him. I do remember him walking around with some bravado, thinking he was better than everyone else. 

Wasnt he a mod at some point as well? 

28 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

That is bizarre.  Was there unanimous resentment towards him prior to that going down, or were people getting carried away with the humor of that entire situation?  I'm sure it didn't help that he claimed himself to be better than everyone else.  I'm just curious if the backlash was because there was respect for him on some level only to find out that he was a fraud, or if they just didn't like him.

If I recall correctly, his devolution was slow at first. I remember not minding him at first, then started really disagreeing with EVERYTHING he would post.

i think your final thought is spot on. 

9 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I remember several times he had come at me for reasons completely unrelated to the Titans, and that’s what really charged my frustration with him. I do remember him walking around with some bravado, thinking he was better than everyone else. 

Wasnt he a mod at some point as well? 

It was quite obvious that he had stopped watching the games and hadn't followed the team for a while which is why he mostly posted in the OT section.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:59 PM, Number9 said:

I have been posting here since 2000(?).  I used to post on the AOL Oilers MB before I found out about this bunch.  Over the years, I have learned a lot about the Titans, football and the NFL.  The board also has expanded to have the OT and Politics sections.  I'm not the smartest guy about anything, but I am not anybody's dummy.  A few years ago a poster on here for some reason picked up some type resentment against me.

The first time I noticed it was in the chat room.  We would be in there watching the game and he would make remarks aimed at irritating me.  My response was to just stop going into the chat room and I haven't been back since.  I don't look for fights and will walk away before getting into one.  This was about three years ago.  After that, he was using the follow feature to read my posts and then try to start up arguments.  My response was to just make jokes about it and tell him to go away.  I am posting this openly because I am not interested in having personal MB fights about non football issues or really any kind of MB fights.

Once, I told him I wasn't interested in having a paparazzi.  He slowed down, left me alone for a good while.  Now, he's back at it.  I really have no idea what could stir up a person this bad on a message board.  I see this as somewhat of an alter ego, but also we all are friends of sorts.  I have no animosity toward anybody who posts here and often don't even know a poster's style or position on issues.  I respect everyone and think you are great guys who like me love the Titans.

So, I am putting this out here to just say maybe it's time to let this go.  I come here daily to read about the team and enjoy the conversation.  I do not start attacks on you or anybody.  We all joke and people call each other names.  But this is different and it's mean spirited.  These remarks are intended to actually make the recipient feel bad.  Why?  Over the years, I have reached out to individual posters to apologize when something I said I later felt was not appropriate.  I have also offered to pray for people and be open if they needed someone to share with.  That's how I am and it's how I live.

Sincerely, this is my open offer to just end this.  You win.

Again, I repost what I said.  Call it a severe meltdown?  It's just enough is enough.  If you think it's so cool, you go find him and get on his bad side.  Let's see how you fare, I bet it won't be three years.  Meltdown my ass, I am just done fighting back.  

But a lot of the comments made me think of some comparisons of the different age groups.

Here is what an advanced football game looked like when I was a kid.  Most people couldn't even afford them.

19cnbbxo9olnogif.gif

Now, a lot of you grew up playing football games like this.  Every kid can get one.

giphy.gif

Who is going to learn today's football terms the best?  But all people enjoy the game.

Also, like @prometheus said, words that some of you call each other cause a different reaction in different generations.  Some of you tough guys, go in Walmart, pick out a well built man about 6'2" and around 42 years old.  Step up and call him a "fucktard"  Yep, it's easy to be a badass in the TR Thunder Dome.

1 hour ago, Mercalius said:

From my understanding he (or he had someone else) delete all of his posts after he decided it was time to call it a day here.  I think a few folks screen capped some of it, or at least saved some of the pics he posted.  Granted this was a couple of years ago so some of the stuff that was saved could be lost by now.  But it absolutely happened.  Many here will vouch for that.  

The gist of it was this:  CTF had presented himself here for two decades as this (basically I think) retired, super handsome, very wealthy guy who had some very strong opinions on certain things.  He prided himself on his wealthy lifestyle, superior intellect, and basically having it made compared to most of the plebes here.  He was a HUGE proponent of pot.  Like, imagine the Joe Rogan DMT meme but apply it to weed.  That was CTF.  He worked it into every conversation.  He had some other strong opinions that were kinda out there (namely debt is a better reflection of wealth than savings, etc).  He’d argue tooth and nail over his assertions then kinda do the typical thing of LOLing at other posters who disagreed with him because he was rich, getting high on the reg, and better looking than everyone here.  His forum handle was “Powerful and attractive”

anyway he got into a debate with folks over the benefits of pot - how it actually made one smarter than non smokers.  It went back and forth with him not waivering that weed actually made him more intelligent than everyone else. It wasn’t shtick.  He believed it. To prove his point he finally posted some real life pictures.  It started with him taking a selfie and including the wrong date.  People laughed at the self ownage.  He doubled down by posting more selfies of his lavish lifestyle to rub it other folks faces - with his luxury vehicle and golf equipment.  In doing so, it was revealed he wasn’t in the best physical shape and also given the possessions shown, very likely not as wealthy as he had claimed for the better part of two decades.  He got made fun of yet again.   And he tripled down with more pictures - all of them slowly revealing the charade he’d been presenting himself as to all of us on the forums.  The masses weren’t kind.  He went nuclear and raged and made it worse.  And basically revealed he’d been strong armed out of his own family business because he was too immature/irresponsible to be trusted with it and was living on an allowance.   The piling on didn’t stop.  He had become a meme. And his ego couldn’t take it, so he finally just Thanos’d himself.   It was ugly. 

Just to add to this: it wasn’t just the wrong date,  it was the wrong month. 

8 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Again, I repost what I said.  Call it a severe meltdown?  It's just enough is enough.  If you think it's so cool, you go find him and get on his bad side.  Let's see how you fare, I bet it won't be three years.  Meltdown my ass, I am just done fighting back.  

But a lot of the comments made me think of some comparisons of the different age groups.

Here is what an advanced football game looked like when I was a kid.  Most people couldn't even afford them.

19cnbbxo9olnogif.gif

Now, a lot of you grew up playing football games like this.  Every kid can get one.

giphy.gif

Who is going to learn today's football terms the best?  But all people enjoy the game.

Also, like @prometheus said, words that some of you call each other cause a different reaction in different generations.  Some of you tough guys, go in Walmart, pick out a well built man about 6'2" and around 42 years old.  Step up and call him a "fucktard"  Yep, it's easy to be a badass in the TR Thunder Dome.

Quit crying. 

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

19cnbbxo9olnogif.gif

giphy.gif

Wow.  I used to play the 'lectric football game for hours and hours.  That was well over 65 years ago, actually close to 70 years.  I had the only one in my neighborhood in Miami and the other kids would flock to our house.  We had contests to win the game, and contests to race the players from one end of the field to the other. You could redirect your man two times only (the players would jump and change directions constantly).  I was the only one who knew which player in what color would usually go the fastest and the straightest.  Ergo, I won most of the time.

Madden changed all that crazy fun.  Nice memories.  Thanks.

pro

3 minutes ago, scine09 said:

There's no way it was 2017.  I'm going to say it was at least 2015 if not earlier. 

Yes, I believe it was MM's rookie season now that you mention it.