Saints sign Rishard Matthews

Tex in a Can

43 minutes ago, titanruss said:

Not true. It was intended for him to be but Davis was not even the largest WR worry of opposing Defenses... yet. Davis had 1 game against the Pats the year before. 

Rishard's 2 season before last year were on par or significantly better than that Davis last season. 

Now before you and tweedledum go do some retarded shit... I'm not saying (nor have i indicated anywhere that) Matthews is better than Davis is right now. 

Matthews was also recovering from injury. 

Do you actually watch the games?  Davis was the #1 heading into camp and throughout the entire season.  Matthews was already losing targets because of this and snaps to Sharpe too.  Some of why he quit.

You want to paint that Matthews was some massive loss.  It’s overstated because of your Mariota love.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Watching footage of the 2016-2017 seasons....Matthews really was head-and-shoulders above every other receiver on the roster.    He was a big-bodied, physical, sure-handed receiver who wasn’t afraid t

Its ok Bud! You're forgiven. 

And half the board thinks him not playing last year shouldn’t have been a big deal. 

2 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Do I actually watch the games?  Davis was wanted by the staff to be the #1 heading into camp and throughout the entire season even though he had done nothing and was thought a bust by myself and many of tards here.  Matthews was already losing targets because of this and his injury. Some of which along with a giant prima donna complex is why he quit. 

I want to paint that Matthews wasn't some massive loss.  It’s overstated because of my Mariota love. hate

My agenda clouds my thinking on this issue and has since I decided I wanted Mariota gone before we even drafted him. 

I apologize to the board for not being able to differentiate. 

Its ok Bud! You're forgiven. 

2 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

LOL Rishard Matthews being the problem!

So you think we were a better team without Matthews.

Noted.

Weird since you said he was a number 1 wr a few times that you don’t think his loss was a big deal... 

2 minutes ago, titanruss said:

So you think we were a better team without Matthews.

Noted.

His loss is not the reason Mariota is producing like a mediocre rookie 

1 minute ago, OILERMAN said:

His loss is not the reason Mariota is producing like a mediocre rookie 

That wasn’t the argument. 

So... you don’t believe losing a #1 wr matters. Cool. 

Edited by titanruss

Matthews was one of the best intermediate targets in the league for his short-lived prime.  Averaged 15 YPC and 60 YPG with Mariota and Tanne hill throwing the ball.  I'm not convinced that he's the same after the injury

2 hours ago, abc2330 said:

Matthews was one of the best intermediate targets in the league for his short-lived prime.  Averaged 15 YPC and 60 YPG with Mariota and Tanne hill throwing the ball.  I'm not convinced that he's the same after the injury

This very well may be true. 

Still doesnt mean that it wasn’t a massive loss to go from what he provided the two previous years to almost zero without real warning. 

Matthews wasn't a massive loss from a production standpoint.

159 catches, 1977 yards, 6 TD in 268 targets (59% catch rate)

147 catches, 1867 yards, 7 TD in 247 targets (61% catch rate)

Just catastrophic

2 hours ago, titanruss said:

This very well may be true. 

Still doesnt mean that it wasn’t a massive loss to go from what he provided the two previous years to almost zero without real warning. 

No one typed the words "massive loss"...only you.

Magnifying cases, typing things that weren't...may put over you a tag you will not like.

49 minutes ago, Huston said:

Give me a break, they same cats who use hyperbole to describe every weakness of Marcus are crying fowl about that lol.

Well, it's because titanruss is wrong once again.  There's zero evidence that losing Matthews had a massive impact.  Why are the WR numbers for 2017 and 2018 almost identical then?  Targets, yards, TD's, catch %, distribution of passes.  All it meant was more PT/targets for Taylor and Sharpe primarily as Davis was already the #1 as of TC and was going to be targeted accordingly - at the expense of Matthews.  One big reason that he decided to quit the team.

Matthews - 87 targets, 53 catches for 795 yards and 4 TD's

Decker - 83 targets, 54 catches for 563 yards and 1 TD

Davis - 65 targets, 34 catches for 375 yards

Taylor - 28 targets, 16 catches for 316 yards and 1 TD

Douglas/Weems, 5 targets, 2 catches for 13 yards

Totals - 268 targets, 159 catches for 1977 yards and 6 TD's, 59% catch/target and 12.4 YPC

Davis - 112 targets, 65 catches for 891 yards and 4 TD's

Taylor - 56 targets, 37 catches for 416 yards and 1 TD

Sharpe - 47 targets, 26 catches for 316 yards and 2 TD

Jennings - 15 targets, 11 catches for 101 yards

Batson - 11 targets, 8 catches for 82 yards

Matthews - 6 targets, 3 catches for 11 yards 

Totals - 247 targets, 150 catches for 1867 yards and 7 TD's.  61% catch/target and 12.4 YPC

Walker was out and the TE numbers were down across the board - targets, catches, yards.  TD's and catch % and YPC was up though.   The offense basically shifted more passes to the RB's (mainly Lewis) with Walker out but WR targets and production were pretty identical.