My Take On Titans QB Situation And Realizing We Might Need To Move On

MIKE75

First this decision of mine didn't come overnight but gradually over a period of time. I first begin to have serious doubts concerning Mariota when he did not play the season finale at home vs Indy with the postseason on the line.

Most QB's even if they are banged up or at risk of getting hurt more are not gonna miss the last game of the year at home with the playoffs on the line as well. I was extremely disappointed when he missed that game.  Dont get me wrong i think Mariota has the potential to be a really good QB with the injuries and inconsistency its just not worth it.

Sure Mariota hasnt missed a lot of games but he has missed 8 games in 4 years and has yet to finish a whole season yet because of durability issues. For what its worth as long as he is a dual threat type QB he is gonna be at risk more than a normal pocket style QB because he is running and sliding.

There are a couple big things swaying my thinking. First the money. We would not be able to keep as many good players if Mariota got paid and then add to that his inability to stay healthy 16 games a year its too much of a risk. Second the injury prone label he has been fighting each and every year missing games.

The Titans have been very fortunate to recently end their first 20 years with a winning record just outside the top 10 when compared with other teams during the same period especially when they have had QB issues the majority of their first 20 years only having 2 seasons out of 20 with a starting QB playing a full 16 game season.

I think GM Robinson and HC Vrabel are the best we've had in the Titans 20 years here and i would hate to see them pay the price if Mariota bottoms out.

My suggestion is to bring in a decent vet that won't break the bank and try and draft a QB next season.

We draft a QB and we would have lots more cap room and ability to better the team. Weighing that vs Mariota staying and if he can stay healthy. So far he has missed time every season.

One vet i have heard rumors about is Matt Stafford. If Detroit ever got rid of Stafford we would be fools not to look into it.

We are about to be at the crossroads with Mariota the last thing we need is to be stuck with him and him being injured and unable to play.

Would i like for Mariota to somehow have a career year here and go deep into the postseason? Without a doubt i would love it but i am also worried about the injury aspect as well as being stuck in a big contract where Mariota cant play.

Again dont get me wrong i love Mariota and hope he succeeds but i see all the scenarios.........

Edited by MIKE75

The problem we’ll have after moving on is that with Mariota/Tannehill we’re likely to be a middle of the road team. Just based on potential we should be a playoff team. So you’d think we should be 7-9 at worst. 

That means we’ll likely have to give up a king’s ransom to get a top prospect.

2019 is his opportunity to prove he's the solution, whether it be for a few years or longer term.  To do that, he has to stay healthy AND play well on a consistent basis.  If he does, that's wonderful.  If it's a mix of good and bad where the offense sputters and available plays are missed, you have to move on.  It's year 5.

If he played like he did against Dallas and NE on a consistent basis, we would not be having this discussion.  But he doesn't. 

As for the playoff win, it's sad that people fawn all over that game.  Yes it was a good team win but's it took 200 plus yards from Henry and a D shutting out KC in the 2nd half too.  The fact that it came in a year where Indy and Houston were missing their star QB's, we got demolished the next week, and the coaches got canned does make that less impressive of feat.   The bar for excellence should be higher.

Mariota isn't JRobs draft pic. (or Vrabels if that even matters...but surely doesn't help)  That's the one big thing I think he has going against him.

and a draft pic on a rookie deal has a lot of upside if you can hit on it.

as far as drafting late you just gotta make a move and sell the farm.  JRob obviously isn't afraid to give away pic to get who he wants.

Meh, just low ball Mariota and move on.  With a team signing veteran QBs isn't so bad.  Look at the Broncos.  Check out the Eagles.  At least with a veteran you aren't stuck in the same rut year after year as you are with a bad rookie.

Make that next QB pick count.

4 minutes ago, patsplat said:

Meh, just low ball Mariota and move on.  With a team signing veteran QBs isn't so bad.  Look at the Broncos.  Check out the Eagles.  At least with a veteran you aren't stuck in the same rut year after year as you are with a bad rookie.

Make that next QB pick count.

Hey Touched The Tard, this has been quite the KOO KOO dance you’ve done today. Save some moves for September.

This comment said it all for me in a recent power rankings of Tennessee........

It's become clear that Tennessee cannot count on Mariota being available for important games