BudAdams

Bernard Pollard weighs in on the QB situation

BudAdams   
4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

And this is why it's not completely irrelevant. You definitely don't want to hear that your inconsistent QB is continuing to be inconsistent in practice. Just gotta avoid overreacting to it which it felt like some were already starting to do.

Said almost the exact same in the OTA thread.  The up and down nature of his accuracy, due to poor mechanics, is a legitimate issue.  

big2033   
7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

And this is why it's not completely irrelevant. You definitely don't want to hear that your inconsistent QB is continuing to be inconsistent in practice. Just gotta avoid overreacting to it which it felt like some were already starting to do.

Honestly. I guess deep down I don't want my fears to be reinforced. 

18 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

lol @ people who evaluate practice

I don't give a shit if Mariota or Tannehill or Henry or anyone else lights it up or stinks it up in practice. It means nothing. It never has. It never will. Stop giving a shit how someone performs in practice, it's never going to matter.

Remember when Malcolm Butler was the best CB ever in camp? Then was one of the worst CBs in football for the first like 8 or 9 weeks of the season before finally getting his shit together?

Man what a great indicator his outstanding practice reps were.

Remember when McNair would absolutely suck in practice(or in a lot of cases not even practice at all due to injuries? Then was our franchise QB and eventual NFL MVP?

Man what a great indicator his shitty practice reps were.

He mostly sucks in games too....the seemingly rare games when he's medically available.

17 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Pretty ordinary by most reports.

So, much better than Mariota!

15 hours ago, 8MM said:

Ahh the hall of fame QB.  He MUST KNOW what he's talking about then.

Bart Starr's in the hall of fame and didn't even know why!

14 hours ago, OzTitan said:

Maybe the D is just that good?

Tastes gross, but feels great!

16 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Have you ever seen a great player who didnt give a fuck about being good in practice? I haven't. The best treat practice as if it's just as meaningful as a game. As a fan you can say you dont care, but there are takeaways to be had from anyone's practices. If you want to narrow it down to one practice, ok. But if we're talking days/weeks, I disagree. 

Comparing a player on his first year with a new team is not a good one. And was he actually that good or was it a lot of homer hype?

My takeaway is he kept trying and actually improved. When will Mariota? 5th year starter shouldnt be struggling that bad in practice. Really. 

There is just no comparing the two.  

But Mariotas practices actually translate to games. Sooo.....Maybe Mariotas practices are a good indicator.

10 hours ago, big2033 said:

So you're saying Mariota has been consistently great in the regular season?

The importance or unimportance of practice is whether it reinforces a pattern.

25 minutes ago, woolfolksunclesuncle said:

He mostly sucks in games too....the seemingly rare games when he's medically available.

I'm saying you evaluate Mariota off his game performance, not his practice performance, because his practice performance means nothing. It never has and never will.

Got 4 seasons of play to evaluate for Mariota and we got people going "HURRRRRRRRRR DURRRRRRRRRRRR HE HAD A BAD PRACTICE HE CANT BE OUR FRANCHISE QB".

And the best part is afterwards Vrabel said each QB(Tannehill was apparently bad too?) got like 6 reps.

So not only are people reacting to a bad practice, they're reacting to a bad 6 reps in practice, lmao.

If you think Mariota sucks that's fine. Base it off his 4 years of play, don't base it off what he does or doesn't do in practice.

I'll always laugh at how Mariota went like the entirety of camp in his rookie year without an INT or some shit then threw one on like the first or second pass of preseason. Such important and telling practice reps man.

enigma   

A little off-topic as this doesn't pertain to how they "practice" but rather provides some perspective on their careers up to this point...Winston & Mariota versus Wentz & others...

In other words: while we think we know a lot about Mariota and Winston — two quarterbacks who admittedly seemed to have plateaued more than grown — it’s worth remembering that most quarterbacks are not finished products by the time they are 25 years old. Winston has spent his entire NFL career under Dirk Koetter, which may not be a good thing: we should find out more this year with him and Bruce Arians.  For Mariota, as he enters his 5th NFL season in 2019, he will have his 5th new offensive playcaller, and that sort of inconsistency can stunt a young quarterback’s growth.  For both quarterbacks, 2019 will be a huge year, but studies like this help  remind me of how young these two are. By way of comparison, Aaron Rodgers (who is 10 years older than both) had won 6 games in the NFL when he was the age that Mariota and Winston are now.

https://www.footballperspective.com/comparing-jameis-winston-and-carson-wentz-by-age/

Edited by enigma

big2033   
17 minutes ago, enigma said:

A little off-topic as this doesn't pertain to how they "practice" but rather provides some perspective on their careers up to this point...Winston & Mariota versus Wentz & others...

In other words: while we think we know a lot about Mariota and Winston — two quarterbacks who admittedly seemed to have plateaued more than grown — it’s worth remembering that most quarterbacks are not finished products by the time they are 25 years old. Winston has spent his entire NFL career under Dirk Koetter, which may not be a good thing: we should find out more this year with him and Bruce Arians.  For Mariota, as he enters his 5th NFL season in 2019, he will have his 5th new offensive playcaller, and that sort of inconsistency can stunt a young quarterback’s growth.  For both quarterbacks, 2019 will be a huge year, but studies like this help  remind me of how young these two are. By way of comparison, Aaron Rodgers (who is 10 years older than both) had won 6 games in the NFL when he was the age that Mariota and Winston are now.

https://www.footballperspective.com/comparing-jameis-winston-and-carson-wentz-by-age/

I'm hoping that comparison ends up being true but it's misleading. Rodgers was a backup QB for years. There's no telling what he'd be if he was an immediate starter. There's a huge sampling of QB that take the next step at least in their third year.

big2033   
36 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I'm saying you evaluate Mariota off his game performance, not his practice performance, because his practice performance means nothing. It never has and never will.

Got 4 seasons of play to evaluate for Mariota and we got people going "HURRRRRRRRRR DURRRRRRRRRRRR HE HAD A BAD PRACTICE HE CANT BE OUR FRANCHISE QB".

And the best part is afterwards Vrabel said each QB(Tannehill was apparently bad too?) got like 6 reps.

So not only are people reacting to a bad practice, they're reacting to a bad 6 reps in practice, lmao.

If you think Mariota sucks that's fine. Base it off his 4 years of play, don't base it off what he does or doesn't do in practice.

I'll always laugh at how Mariota went like the entirety of camp in his rookie year without an INT or some shit then threw one on like the first or second pass of preseason. Such important and telling practice reps man.

If Mariota was a top 10 QB and not an inconsistent one do you think anyone would care that he was inconsistent in practice? 

Ironically, I didn't even point to this practice specifically as a problem I originally I said I'd expect a franchise QB to have consistently great practices. Is that too much to ask? 

BudAdams   

To me, actual games played and the experience one gains in seeing different looks and adjusting to what teams do to stop what is initially successful is the key to real QB growth more than age.  Especially in an era where guys leave school early and play right away instead of 4 years of college and sitting for a year or two like a Rodgers or McNair. 

Once they hit the field, you want to see progression in their play, not regression or plateauing. 

Peyton Manning in year 3 was a lot better QB than he was in his rookie season and one could go on and on with other examples. 

Number9   
7 hours ago, oldschool said:

My goodness your are dumb as a rock. Not being one of the 15 strongest doesnt mean Mariota has a weak arm. Look at all the combine metrics. He has an NFL caliber arm and can make all the throws. His issues are elsewhere...

See, they you go again.  Insult.  But you said nothing.  Squat.  He has an NFL caliber arm means nothing.  All 32 QB starting have NFL calibers arms.  Some of them have strong arms.  

Read read that until you understand.

Number9   
4 hours ago, headhunter said:

Why are you downplaying Mariota's performance in practice? To me this is terrible news. He cant even be accurate in 7 on 7's. 

Because he thinks he knows a lot more than he does.  

begooode   
2 hours ago, big2033 said:

Honestly. I guess deep down I don't want my fears to be reinforced. 

From the looks of things, you must retrace your steps countless times while whistling loudly past the graveyards in your area.

BudAdams   

Mariota has an adequate arm.  He can sling it when his footwork and torque is right.  When it's off, that's when the ball sails and flutters.  He himself has talked about it, as have the various coaching staffs, since his rookie year.

No way does he have the arm of a Mahomes or Favre.

Having said that, arm strength isn't everything either.  Accuracy - ball placement and on time is.

Number9   
4 hours ago, oldschool said:

Thats the entire point; of course I wouldn't expect you to get it. (HAS TO MAKE SELF SMARTER)

What he does in OTAs and preseason is irrelevant.(JUST PLAIN IGNORANT.  WHY THE HELL WOULD THEY PRACTICE THE PLAYS IF IT DIDN'T MAKE ANY DIFFERENCE?)

It's how he performs on the field.(THAT'S WHY THEY PRACTICE TO PERFECT WHAT THEY DO ON THE FIELD) If he plays well this year and stays healthy he'll get extended. If he doesn't the team will move on. Neither outcome will be based on how things went in practice good or bad.

We've seen this story before. When you are a good QB errant throws are ignored. Brady makes several bad throws a game as does Brees but no one cares because they are elite.(BRADY/BREES HAVE NEVER HAD A PRACTICE THAT BAD) When average or bad QBs miss throws its the end of the world because fans like you need validation your perception is correct. Everyone would be better off taking a step back and not harping over the result of every single snap in OTAs, practice, and preseason. 

The WR need practice catching his passes.  If they can see his ball in practice they can track it better and he could learn who to trust.  Taylor drops a pass in practice he's a bum.  Mariota, under no pressure of being hit can't complete passes is a story.

You don't know how Brady/Brees look in red jersey practice.  You are just saying that.

Some people don't believe fat meat is greasy.  

BudAdams   

PK put it into some perspective in his article

He’s had good days, average and bad through OTAs and the Titans began to wrap the offseason with mandatory minicamp Tuesday, three days that could wind up being chopped to two.

As I’ve mentioned, the team periods now are minimal and focused largely on third down. The second focused predominantly on swing passes dump offs to running backs. But the first was more standard passing against the blitz, and Mariota’s segment wasn’t pretty.

Mike Vrabel said it might have been just six snaps per quarterback.

Mariota missed Corey Davis to the right, he missed Davis to the left, he threw a ball for MyCole Pruitt in a crowd that Malcolm Butler should have intercepted and he threw an uncatchable ball into the ground at Tajae Sharpe’s feet. It was a bad combination of inaccuracy and poor decisions.

It’s not super-telling by any means, as it’s a tiny snapshot. But people are constantly asking how the starting quarterback is doing, and it’s the first performance of the practices that I’ve been at that has really stood out. It was striking to me in the moment, but we should not read a ton into it.

Here's a part I find encouraging

I was not part of the conversation, but Kevin Byard mentioned in a conversation with some reporters that Mariota asked for a redo of that third-down period. When the QB was questioned about that, he kind of shrugged it off. That was the surest acknowledgment, however, that while he may not be concerned with results, he was conscious that they weren’t good.

Number9   
3 hours ago, japan said:

And when I linked to an article that detailed Brees having a horrendous training camp practice with 4 picks in one drill, I get the ‘well he’s a great QB....’ No shit Mr. Obvious.

Here is another example of disproving the statement that ‘good QBs never have really bad practices.’ 

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/ContentGallery/Packers-training-camp-Aaron-Rodgers-throws-multiple-interceptions-in-fourth-practice-120213966/

Aaron Rodgers isn't out there trying to prove he's a franchise QB.  QB throw picks, no-one is discounting that.  The difference here is as has been stated, MM isn't throwing enough TD.  If Aaron Rodgers had Patrick Mahomes behind him with people saying he was probably going to end up being the starter, I bet he would focus differently.