Bernard Pollard weighs in on the QB situation

BudsOilers

20 minutes ago, oldschool said:

whoosh. your ability to miss the forest for the trees is staggering. Insert any good QB into the equation and it's the same. When you are a good QB a bad practice or errant throw doesn't matter. When the jury is out on a developing or average QB every single snap is magnified 100x by the fanbase. 

I'm not optimistic about Mariota at all but the level of hyper focus you and others have placed on him to confirm your bias needs to be called out.

And when I linked to an article that detailed Brees having a horrendous training camp practice with 4 picks in one drill, I get the ‘well he’s a great QB....’ No shit Mr. Obvious.

Here is another example of disproving the statement that ‘good QBs never have really bad practices.’ 

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/ContentGallery/Packers-training-camp-Aaron-Rodgers-throws-multiple-interceptions-in-fourth-practice-120213966/

Edited by japan

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Titans just made Pollard look pretty stupid. He’s just got a grudge against the team he quit on because they wouldn’t pay his old washed up ass.         

Thats the entire point; of course I wouldn't expect you to get it. What he does in OTAs and preseason is irrelevant. It's how he performs on the field. If he plays well this year and stays healthy he'

whoosh. your ability to miss the forest for the trees is staggering. Insert any good QB into the equation and it's the same. When you are a good QB a bad practice or errant throw doesn't matter. When

24 minutes ago, oldschool said:

whoosh. your ability to miss the forest for the trees is staggering. Insert any good QB into the equation and it's the same. When you are a good QB a bad practice or errant throw doesn't matter. When the jury is out on a developing or average QB every single snap is magnified 100x by the fanbase. 

I'm not optimistic about Mariota at all but the level of hyper focus you and others have placed on him to confirm your bias needs to be called out.

If you think Brady has as many inconsistent practices as Mariota you're the one missing the point. This is about pattern. Not one-ofs, a pattern.

Can you or @japan honestly tell me Brady has as many bad practices as Mariota?

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

If you think Brady has as many inconsistent practices as Mariota you're the one missing the point. This is about pattern.

Ha ha. Now moving the goal posts. You said good QBs don’t have dreadful practices. 

3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

If you think Brady has as many inconsistent practices as Mariota you're the one missing the point. This is about pattern. Not one-ofs, a pattern.

Can you or @japan honestly tell me Brady has as many bad practices as Mariota?

Don’t change the subject. 

17 hours ago, big2033 said:

Honestly. I expect a star QB to be better than the competition in most practices.

Maybe be off a little. But never horrible.

It's always a bigger deal if a QB is bad than if a QB is good in practice.

1 minute ago, japan said:

Don’t change the subject. 

"I expect a star QB to be better than the competition in most practices."

IN. MOST. PRACTICES.

Did you see that part?

You guys should know by now I generally don't deal in absolutes.

Edited by big2033

Just now, big2033 said:

IN MOST PRACTICES.

Did you see that part?

You have tons of legit reasons to convince people that Mariota isn’t the answer. Don’t make up stuff that isn’t true.

1 minute ago, Mythos27 said:

Good God. You guys can really blow everything out of proportion. I get the concern but this is no where near as consequential as it's being made out to be.

I'll amend my previous statement that practice and OTAs don't matter at all to you need to see consistent underperformance before it becomes an issue. 

2 minutes ago, japan said:

You have tons of legit reasons to convince people that Mariota isn’t the answer. Don’t make up stuff that isn’t true.

Wait, are you saying I didn't say that? You're the one who just quoted me.

I expect a QB to be better than the competition in most practices. Consistently great. Not consistently horrible. And no, I'm not saying Mariota has been consistently horrible. I'm saying he's been consistently inconsistent in his career.

This actually isn't a big deal. It's what he's been.

Edited by big2033

5 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Wait, are you saying I didn't say that? You're the one who just quoted me.

I expect a QB to be better than the competition in most practices. Consistently great. Not consistently horrible. And no, I'm not saying Mariota has been consistently horrible. I'm saying he's been consistently inconsistent in his career.

This actually isn't a big deal. It's what he's been.

And this is why it's not completely irrelevant. You definitely don't want to hear that your inconsistent QB is continuing to be inconsistent in practice. Just gotta avoid overreacting to it which it felt like some were already starting to do.

4 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

And this is why it's not completely irrelevant. You definitely don't want to hear that your inconsistent QB is continuing to be inconsistent in practice. Just gotta avoid overreacting to it which it felt like some were already starting to do.

Said almost the exact same in the OTA thread.  The up and down nature of his accuracy, due to poor mechanics, is a legitimate issue.  

7 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Honestly. I guess deep down I don't want my fears to be reinforced. 

18 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

lol @ people who evaluate practice

I don't give a shit if Mariota or Tannehill or Henry or anyone else lights it up or stinks it up in practice. It means nothing. It never has. It never will. Stop giving a shit how someone performs in practice, it's never going to matter.

Remember when Malcolm Butler was the best CB ever in camp? Then was one of the worst CBs in football for the first like 8 or 9 weeks of the season before finally getting his shit together?

Man what a great indicator his outstanding practice reps were.

Remember when McNair would absolutely suck in practice(or in a lot of cases not even practice at all due to injuries? Then was our franchise QB and eventual NFL MVP?

Man what a great indicator his shitty practice reps were.

He mostly sucks in games too....the seemingly rare games when he's medically available.

17 hours ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Pretty ordinary by most reports.

So, much better than Mariota!

15 hours ago, 8MM said:

Ahh the hall of fame QB.  He MUST KNOW what he's talking about then.

Bart Starr's in the hall of fame and didn't even know why!

14 hours ago, OzTitan said:

Maybe the D is just that good?

Tastes gross, but feels great!