Sign in to follow this  
begooode

Jon Stewart speaking to Congress on 9/11 victim's fund

On 6/11/2019 at 12:09 PM, begooode said:

Powerful reminder of how we and congress may have indeed forgotten how to take care of our own. The video was worth the 10min, for sure.  

Jon Stewart on Tuesday torched lawmakers in emotional testimony for failing to attend a September 11 victim's fund hearing, calling it "shameful" and "a stain on this institution."

https://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/447929-jon-stewart-excoriates-lawmakers-for-skipping-hearing-on-9-11

That was one kick ass speech. He is one pissed off MF and right on target. Love Jon Stewart.

Edited by freakingeek

kgsTitan   

Love Jon too, but he wasn't exactly accurate on this. I was reading earlier where the room appeared empty because they used the full chamber, and there are only 14 people on the subcommittee. Only two people were missing: Swalwell who is campaigning, and one other. 

The bill easily passed on voice vote, so what exactly was he mad about?

43 minutes ago, kgsTitan said:

Love Jon too, but he wasn't exactly accurate on this. I was reading earlier where the room appeared empty because they used the full chamber, and there are only 14 people on the subcommittee. Only two people were missing: Swalwell who is campaigning, and one other. 

It could have been full and he was going off regardless. 

It was prime opportunity for him to look good. Hell, we even have ppl hoping he runs for office because of this.

Justafan   
9 hours ago, kgsTitan said:

8 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

It could have been full and he was going off regardless. 

It was prime opportunity for him to look good. Hell, we even have ppl hoping he runs for office because of this.

There's 14 members on the House judiciary subcommittee.  5 of them were not present and all five of them are Republicans.  The reason Jon is mad is because they already fought this fight and won but now the fund is running out of money.  It passed to the house because after that speech and because of the love people have for this cause, anyone voting against it would be skewered in the media and they knew it.

The real fight will come when it gets to the Senate and it is used by McConnell as a political football.  If you actually listened to what he said, you would know all of this.  

4 hours ago, Justafan said:

There's 14 members on the House judiciary subcommittee.  5 of them were not present and all five of them are Republicans.  The reason Jon is mad is because they already fought this fight and won but now the fund is running out of money.  It passed to the house because after that speech and because of the love people have for this cause, anyone voting against it would be skewered in the media and they knew it.

The real fight will come when it gets to the Senate and it is used by McConnell as a political football.  If you actually listened to what he said, you would know all of this.  

Oh, so more of the "I'm crying about WHAT I THINK will happen", not what actually has happened?

I love so many liberals can see the future. Makes you wonder how they ever lose an election or debate. Astounding. 

They can get what they are hoping for. Two years from now Stewart will be crying again and pointing the finger because it makes him look good. 

Justafan   
1 hour ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Oh, so more of the "I'm crying about WHAT I THINK will happen", not what actually has happened?

I love so many liberals can see the future. Makes you wonder how they ever lose an election or debate. Astounding. 

They can get what they are hoping for. Two years from now Stewart will be crying again and pointing the finger because it makes him look good. 

It happened before. Again, listen then speak.

kgsTitan   
6 hours ago, Justafan said:

I listened to him. As far as the attendence, I guess that's what I get for trusting the untrustworthy NBC News:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jon-stewart-lashes-out-mia-lawmakers-9-11-victims-fund-n1016356

"The hearing, however, had not been slated to take place before the whole Judiciary Committee — it was being held before the subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. The subcommittee has 14 members, compared with the full committee, which has 41 members. Two of the 14 members, Reps. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., and Guy Reschenthaler, R-Penn., were absent. Both are co-sponsors of the bill."

Justafan   
2 minutes ago, kgsTitan said:

I listened to him. As far as the attendence, I guess that's what I get for trusting the untrustworthy NBC News:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/jon-stewart-lashes-out-mia-lawmakers-9-11-victims-fund-n1016356

"The hearing, however, had not been slated to take place before the whole Judiciary Committee — it was being held before the subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Civil Liberties. The subcommittee has 14 members, compared with the full committee, which has 41 members. Two of the 14 members, Reps. Eric Swalwell, D-Calif., and Guy Reschenthaler, R-Penn., were absent. Both are co-sponsors of the bill."

I got you. That article makes it sound like he thought the entire committee was supposed to be there.  I’ve seen several reports where only about half of the sub-committee was even there. (Not just the two mentioned in the nbc article)

Here’s one

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newser.com/story/276386/jon-stewart-yells-at-absent-lawmakers-during-911-hearing.html

If true (from accounts I’ve seen) that means he was expecting to speak to 41 members of Congress and was instead greeted by 9. It’s also a bill they’ve had to fight tooth and nail over because it’s been used repeatedly for political gain and his estimation this should be an issue all Americans support.

21 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I got you. That article makes it sound like he thought the entire committee was supposed to be there.  I’ve seen several reports where only about half of the sub-committee was even there. (Not just the two mentioned in the nbc article)

Here’s one

https://www.google.com/amp/amp.newser.com/story/276386/jon-stewart-yells-at-absent-lawmakers-during-911-hearing.html

If true (from accounts I’ve seen) that means he was expecting to speak to 41 members of Congress and was instead greeted by 9. It’s also a bill they’ve had to fight tooth and nail over because it’s been used repeatedly for political gain and his estimation this should be an issue all Americans support.

Some Americans believe in the conspiracy theory that it was the Governemnts doing. So he is clueless if he really thinks there is anything the entire American civilization can agree on. 

All Americans as a whole will never agree on anything. Especially if they can't support preventing illegal immigration and the murdering of babies.