Sign in to follow this  
52O

Nfl.com names Mary worst qb misstep for us

GOAT9   
16 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Flipside is we should have traded for Cooper.  Means we probably don't use a 2nd on a WR this year.  We certainly needed more weapons last year and barring Mary's injury had a real shot at the playoffs.  

We def should have went after Cooper. He is good Oakland is just a toxic organization in general. It would be nice to see this team with a top level WR. 

17 hours ago, Soxcat said:

and barring Mary's injury had a real shot at the playoffs.  . 

What does that have anything to do with giving up a first for another player?

Soxcat   

Let me make this simple.

With a healthy Mariota and a guy like Cooper at WR we might actually have a chance to make the playoffs.

abc2330   
1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Let me make this simple.

With a healthy Mariota and a guy like Cooper at WR we might actually have a chance to make the playoffs.

I think that this easily could have looked like a bad investment.  He didn't have a bad game against us by any means, actually quite good considering the circumstances, but he had to be a difference maker Last year in order to make that look like a good move.  And with Gabbert and an injured Mariota, I just don't see that happening.  I can envision people saying, "We could have saved our 1st and drafted a receiver in the 2nd!   J Rob dumb! A 1st for a 600 yard WR ROFL!!!"

Edited by abc2330

Soxcat   

I'm not going to argue hypothetical crap but Cooper had 75 catches for 1000 yards last year.  He had an off year in 2017 but prior to that had 1100 two years in a row.  So yea, there we ended up picking in the draft I'd have easily given up a 1st round pick as hard as it is to get good WRs.  We spent the #5 pick in the draft on a comparable player in Davis.  We also got lucky getting Simmons (his injury allowed us to take him where we picked) so we can wait to see how that goes.  Too bad he won't be helping us make the playoffs this year.  Cooper would have.  Obviously getting Cooper would have changed FA and the draft so all that is speculative as to how that might have worked out. 

abc2330   

Nobody questions Cooper's ability.  I question whether or not that would have translated into production which would justify the cost.  I think we agree that it is unlikely he changes the outcome of any of those losses, so he'd ultimately be judged by not only being worth a #19 pick, but the $14M cap hit this year and what will probably be a bigger annual cap hit thereafter.  We acquired both Humphries and Brown for lesser assets, which could definitely work out for the better.  

OILERMAN   
1 hour ago, rns90 said:

Worse draft pick:Locker or Chance Warmack? I think Locker "wins" that one.

Warmack was a bigger bust and more experts were way wronger

Warmack might be the biggest miss in history from the pundits

Soxcat   

Considering the fact that QBs are always a crap shoot but OGs taken that early usually at least make decent starters......

Warmack can't even break into a roster let alone a starting line up.  You would assume Warmack would have at least been as good as a guy like Spain.

japan   
6 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Warmack was a bigger bust and more experts were way wronger

Warmack might be the biggest miss in history from the pundits

Robert Gallery may be able to give him a run for the money. 

OILERMAN   

I don’t remember people guaranteeing those guys would be 10yr pro bowlers 

OILERMAN   
Just now, BudAdams said:

Mandarich was supposed to be the best OT of all time in that draft 

Oh yea.... I thought you posted Todd Maravich at first lol!!!!!

9 Nines   
13 hours ago, Soxcat said:

Let me make this simple.

Cooper would not work with Mariota.  Cooper is a superb route runner. Mariota's ad-hoc targeting style  would waste that talent.