Arthur Smith Athletic Article

tgo

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Smith also talks about how he basically hated coaching under Cignetti at North Carolina and then went to Washington as a scouting intern, then got pulled back into coaching which he didn't want to do

Originally Posted all of this in several posts in the chaotic chasm that is the Titans OTA's thread, but moving here so the info doesn't get lost amongst the rabble.    A few interesting quo

“Some of these guys, it’s comical,” Smith said. “They’re so worried about their brand or whatever. They’re so worried about trying to be a head coach that they’re shitty at the job they’re hired to do

Man I don’t know if Smith turns out to be a good Oc or anything but dude says everything u like to hear.Sounds like he’s well grounded and understands what needs to be done.Gotta give the staff credit they have done everything possible to set mariota and the team up for success.

31 minutes ago, CaliTitan3518 said:

The cool thing about Smith is you know he does this because he enjoys it. We all know he comes from a billionaire family. He is probably the richest coach in the NFL. 

Makes me question his judgement, honestly.  Not necessarily in football, but I think you get my admittedly shallow point.

“Some of these guys, it’s comical,” Smith said. “They’re so worried about their brand or whatever. They’re so worried about trying to be a head coach that they’re shitty at the job they’re hired to do. I could give a crap about that.”

Definitely talking about Lafleur here.  

1 hour ago, begooode said:

Makes me question his judgement, honestly.  Not necessarily in football, but I think you get my admittedly shallow point.

Because he wants to make something of himself and not just live off his dad's success?

13 minutes ago, Righteous said:

“Some of these guys, it’s comical,” Smith said. “They’re so worried about their brand or whatever. They’re so worried about trying to be a head coach that they’re shitty at the job they’re hired to do. I could give a crap about that.”

Not necessarily. I actually doubt it given the positive overtones that LaFleur was mentioned in several times throughout this article. 

I’m sure the point applies to LaFleur though. 

Edited by tgo

20 minutes ago, Righteous said:

Are you sure that he isn't referring to "Exotic Smashmouth"?  Mularkey defended his methods and decision making until his eventual firing.

LaFluer never really came in and promoted an identity for this offense, and when asked about his roots in a West Coast offense , he simply said "I don't know what that even means anymore".  Plus, it's a bit harsh to slam a coach who dealt with the circumstances that LaFluer did last year.

Edited by abc2330

25 minutes ago, Righteous said:

I'd say he's more likely talking about Whisenhunt.

I think that's really speculative.  Smith has been around a handful of staffs (UNC, Washington, here).  It very well could have been about Cignetti, who was a rising OC in the college ranks before hooking up with Fisher and the Rams.   Or Whisenhunt cramming the system down a team without the talent to execute it.

19 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I'd say he's more likely talking about Whisenhunt.

Whisenhunt has had success as an OC.  Also, Whisenhunt was already the HC. LeFleur has had absolutely none.  If it wasn't for Henry catching fire over the last few weeks, he would have gone down as the worst OC in team history.

Edited by Righteous

18 minutes ago, abc2330 said:

Are you sure that he isn't referring to "Exotic Smashmouth"?  Mularkey defended his methods and decision making until his eventual firing.

LaFluer never really came in and promoted an identity for this offense, and when asked about his roots in a West Coast offense , he simply said "I don't know what that even means anymore".  Plus, it's a bit harsh to slam a coach who dealt with the circumstances that LaFluer did last year.

Mularkey was a head coach and Robiskie had no desire to be an HC.  Don't think it fits.