scine09

Steve McNair's First Career Start

Denali   

Veteran-level pocket awareness by McNair in his first game as a starter.

Oh, and @OILERMAN, what do you think of Norgard being used as an eligible receiver 4 times?

OILERMAN   
13 minutes ago, Denali said:

Oh, and @OILERMAN, what do you think of Norgard being used as an eligible receiver 4 times?

The only thing worse was when they asked him to block!

Rolltide   

Steve was 13 of 27 for 198, 1 td and 2 sacks. An average game. The story of that game is that Oiler RBs combined for 35 carries while the Jets backs combined for only 14. The Jets only ran 50 plays so it was a Fisher ball game. 

I thought he played pretty well for a small school rookie and should have been the starter in 96.  

Denali   
2 hours ago, Rolltide said:

Steve was 13 of 27 for 198, 1 td and 2 sacks. An average game. The story of that game is that Oiler RBs combined for 35 carries while the Jets backs combined for only 14. The Jets only ran 50 plays so it was a Fisher ball game. 

I thought he played pretty well for a small school rookie and should have been the starter in 96.  

Chandler was a very good/excellent QB. Hard not to keep him as the starter.

BudAdams   

Chandler had his moments with the Oilers.  I do, however, think the gap was small enough in 1996 to where McNair could have played.  He eventually ended up as the starter at the end of the season.

Face   
10 hours ago, BudAdams said:

Chandler had his moments with the Oilers.  I do, however, think the gap was small enough in 1996 to where McNair could have played.  He eventually ended up as the starter at the end of the season.

Those Oiler teams, the ‘95-‘98 ones, before the stadium, were pretty good. They had some nice talent. It was just too hard to win without a real homefield.

I also think it was a mistake to fire Jerry Rhôme as OC, it seemed liked McNair dumped the ball off a lot more starting in ‘97 when Steckel took over. Then again there was rumors that Rhome never wanted McNair & wanted them to draft Boselli (who obviously wasn’t there) or Westbrook, and that he & Chandler froze McNair out.

Btowner   
19 hours ago, Face said:

Those Oiler teams, the ‘95-‘98 ones, before the stadium, were pretty good. They had some nice talent. It was just too hard to win without a real homefield.

I also think it was a mistake to fire Jerry Rhôme as OC, it seemed liked McNair dumped the ball off a lot more starting in ‘97 when Steckel took over. Then again there was rumors that Rhome never wanted McNair & wanted them to draft Boselli (who obviously wasn’t there) or Westbrook, and that he & Chandler froze McNair out.

Agree. After Fisher fired Rhome, instead of leveraging his experience with the 49ers and hiring a Bill Walsh disciple who worked with Steve Young, he hired one of the worst OCs in recent memory.

To this day, I really believe that if Fisher had used Young and the 49ers as his example for building the offense with McNair, the Oilers/Titans would have been more successful. Instead he hired Steckel and basically used Buddy Ryan's idea of how an offense should operate. Uggh.

Edited by Btowner