Eagles give Carson Wentz a 4yr contract extension

54 minutes ago, Downtown said:

suuuuure.

It had nothing to do with Foles being 30 and Wentz being 26 or that Wentz was going to be a Eagle for at least 2 more years regardless of the decision made. Or that trying to keep Foles as your starting QB was going to result in nearly 1/4 of your cap being spent on the QB position in 2019/2020.

NFL teams aren't that shitty of business people. You're foolish if you think the business side of it doesn't come into play. 

"His skills erode over time."

That fits your narrative too.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So does Blake Bortles.

That's what you do when you have a franchise QB.  I wonder when Mariota's deal will happen....

Nah you're missing the message completely. Not surprising.

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, big2033 said:

"His skills erode over time."

That fits your narrative too.

This is an irrelevant and useless point. Every player in every position in the NFL will have "skills that erode over time." 

2 minutes ago, Downtown said:

This is an irrelevant and useless point. Every player in every position in the NFL will have "skills that erode over time." 

Exactly 30 meet 26.

Also, Foles have never sustained his "high level" play.

Outside of injury Wentz has.

You're not going to be able to say Foles and Wentz are equal in skills. The NFL knows this not to be true.

1 hour ago, japan said:

Look out for Oilerman’s next big prediction that Ezekiel Elliot will get a big second deal!

Japan you were one of the retards who mocked me for saying I’d rather have Wentz

Just own it

3 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Foles has only played in 12 games in two years so his "inconsistency" could be less extreme if he was the main guy from the start of the season.  What we know for a fact is that Foles thrives in that system and is obviously capable of winning a SB.  Nobody doubts that Wentz is the better QB but his injury history is a factor big time.  It becomes even bigger now as they eat $32 mil so have less to spend on depth at QB or other positions.  IMO it is a valid consideration to think the Eagles might be better served with Foles at QB (who has shown to be more reliable) and then spending the extra $12 mil on upgrading the roster.  They were able to win a SB with him.  Don't think for a second they didn't ponder the decision to part ways with Wentz (maybe in a trade) and keeping Foles.  Time will tell but if Wentz does not prove himself to be less injury prone they will not be happy with the decision.  The greatest QB in the world on the bench is worthless. 

They just spent a guaranteed $100 million on a clunker. Injuries like that just don't go away, they compound. Your body attempts to support itself in activity and adds strain to other parts. I can only imagine how tough that is as a pro athlete. There are not a lot of players that have mounting injuries year after year that all of a sudden go on long streaks without them. The healthy guys stay healthy. 

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Japan you were one of the retards who mocked me for saying I’d rather have Wentz

Just own it

I mocked you for your convenient jump to Wentz during his 2017 season, not the 2016 season like you want us to believe. Wentz looks to be a good QBs in a hyped market who has the same main problem that Mariota has which is that he cant stay healthy. 

2 minutes ago, japan said:

I mocked you for your convenient jump to Wentz during his 2017 season, not the 2016 season like you want us to believe. 

I brought up a thread in October 2016 where Jamal was mocking me, you were in on it too dummy

14 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I brought up a thread in October 2016 where Jamal was mocking me, you were in on it too dummy

Look, I’ve given you credit for being on, then off, then on, then off the bandwagon for a long time regarding Mariota. You were ahead of all of us. 

Edited by japan

11 minutes ago, japan said:

Look, I’ve given you credit for being on, then off, then on, then off the bandwagon for a long time regarding Mariota. You were ahead of all of us. 

17 hours ago, big2033 said:

No. It validates that injuries can't derail a franchise-QB contract if he's posting numbers on the field.

Injuries or not. Wentz's overall performance when healthy makes the risk worth it. So he got paid early.

Franchise QBs are hard to find. They'll deal with the injuries if he plays at a high level when on the field.

Wentz' numbers are moreso a product of talent and excellent offensive coaching. See: Nick Foles.

3 hours ago, Downtown said:

Well, production's fair game. But I think its actually more complicated than that as The Eagles have had and still have a VERY strong supporting cast for their QB (including a proven offensive coach that gets the most out of the QB position.) Their roster and coaching situation puts them in a position where they won't be picking early in the draft even if Wentz goes down, which makes the extension for Wentz even more important without a good backup in place.

I think the Titans approached this similar scenario in a different way, by instead stacking the backup QB position while evaluating a new offensive system. An extension for Mariota right now does not give them the ability to evaluate the whole picture. This is why I don't think its a 100% production-related decision. 

Give it a rest. People just want to look at box scores.