Compton and Lewan Interview Arthur Smith

Jonboy

2 hours ago, nine said:

I’ve said it before:  when a handful of isolated players struggle or play poorly, that’s on them.  But when an entire position group (or multiple groups) play poorly....that’s an indictment of the coaching.  

The offense was straight garbage for much of the 2018 season...especially before the bye week.  In weeks 1-7,  they were equally inconsistent/ineffective in both the run game and the passing game.  Things improved across the  post-bye...but for the first several weeks, not a single member of the offense played anywhere close to an acceptable level.  

We can blame the players all we want for a  lack of execution...but when every single member of the offense plays poorly, that speaks directly to the performance of the coaching staff .  

i dont think anyone was happy with the offense last season. but there are 5 legitimate reasons for it falling apart / slow starting. delanie/rishard/nerve injury/new offense/unfit blocking scheme with unhealthy oline.

those arent excuses. they are real losses we were not prepared for... and they all started from game 1. if you spread them out over the season, you have a chance to fix some individual problems more quickly. but all at once was a recipe for inconsistency. 

even then, there was bright spots before the bye. philly/chargers showed what the offense could be capable of. houston/jax showed the teams heart and fight with all the odds against us. buffalo/balt showed we werent ready to be great. 

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The most telling thing about this interview to me is Smith's trepidation and hesitation when asked about how much he learned from LaFleur. He started talking about how LaFleur has been in the same sys

Lol here is a great quote from Smith, talking about coaches that don't "understand or remember what plays look like through a facemask":    "Some coaches are so hard headed and fixed. One th

This podcast is already pretty amazing. Compton and Lewan are great at this. I'm actually surprised the Titans PR department is even allowing it, tbh.     

Posted Images

The Baltimore game was the most disappointing. They knew the run game was sputtering and put the ball in MM’s hands. Our line proceeded to fold and MM refused to hit his hot routes. The guy still isn’t processing against the Zone Blitz. 

7 hours ago, StephenIsLegend said:

We no longer have MLF and it was the offense mostly sputtering..

So LaFluer was the problem with the offense? 

7 hours ago, titanruss said:

he is being serious. but he'll type it in a way that he can say he was joking at a later date. he's been doing it for years. 

What exactly am I supposedly (not)joking about? 

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

No he will be the problem this year.  Lingering Robiskie ether was the issue last year.  LaFluer ether will be the issue this year.  Rumor has it the fumes could last up to 18 months from the old OC.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

I was misty being facetious with my response because of how you responded. It’s not just black and white. As nine pointed out, there were other factors as well. 

I dont think he was that big of an issue. There were a few times last season I was scratching my head at play calling. 

Don’t take my response so heavy. 

Lots of the fan boys like to frame it that all of the problems are blamed on the QB by the "haters".  Most of us in the critical of Mariota camp acknowledge other factors but to pretend he's not a big piece of it going on multiple years, personnel, coaches is delusional.

21 minutes ago, BudAdams said:

Lots of the fan boys like to frame it that all of the problems are blamed on the QB by the "haters".  Most of us in the critical of Mariota camp acknowledge other factors but to pretend he's not a big piece of it going on multiple years, personnel, coaches is delusional.

LMAO

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

This isn’t MCM. 

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

I’d say he definitely is a big part of the issue, but it’s also due to other factors. My issue with the anti Mariota crowd (not so much you) is that they want to paint him as the only issue and everything else is just an “excuse,” rather than reason. 

9 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

I’d say he definitely is a big part of the issue, but it’s also due to other factors. My issue with the anti Mariota crowd (not so much you) is that they want to paint him as the only issue and everything else is just an “excuse,” rather than reason. 

Many "issues" were issues when he was actually playing well.  I think that's why they are regarded as excuses.  It's obviously possible for them to be overcome.