What will Byard get when JR resigns him before training camp?

kyle021

I have been wondering this and I can’t help but wonder if Byard plays under his rookie contract this year and possibly tagged at end of the year. 

I was thinking the tag may come down to Byard and MM IF Mariota has a good year. 

If he does then we pay Byard top pay and tag MM at a crazy number. If MM has a year similar to previous but slightly better he probably still gets tagged. 

It affects Byard. 

Right now it may be best to tag Byard at the end of the year at a lesser. Much lesser tag than MM would command. If Mariota has a decent year and take the team to the playoffs he may be able to be signed at 20-25 a year over 3-4 years. Similar to what Bortles or Dalton got with a way out after a year or so. Then we tag Byard and it comes out just a few million more than what MM would get tagged for. 

Two cornerstone players at the rate of the tag number for a top 5 QB. 

Haven't done the numbers so I could be way off. 

However I look at Byard and he will command top S pay

Landon Collins signed with Washington at 6/84 with 26 guaranteed.

thats what Byard will be aiming for and with Ryan’s contract of 10 million and Walker, and Woodyard pay coming off the books we could allocate the pay of those 3 and put it to Byard. We already have Ryan replacement on the team in Hooker. Woodyard replacement in Evans and Walker replacement in Smith or worst case scenario a draftee in the up coming draft. 

Regardless i expect Byard to be signed in TC or just before similar to Casey and Walker extending last year with no reports of it even being worked on. 

I would venture to say Byard gets 12-15 a year ball park maybe more in the 13 range but his guaranteed eclipses Collins. No state tax allows for us to sign him at same or maybe even cheaper bc the end result will come with Byard bringing in more money in a “softer contract”

I'm thinking...

6 years 81 million and 35 guaranteed. Puts him at 13.5 a year. The guaranteed portion is 7 more than Collins which likely comes out to more than 7 more guaranteed after taxes. 

We are sitting a bit above 30 in cap space before the cap goes up again, and still have to take into account Conklin and a few others coming due. 

I think we see some surprising players walk in FA and start the process of getting comp picks. JR loves draft ammo. He now has a roster that’ll allow him to let talented players walk and get draft picks for the next year. 

What are are your thoughts on the kind of deal Byard will command?

Losing Ryan and Conklin next offseason will sucks but they will get lucrative and I mean very lucrative deals in FA that’ll ring in a few comp 3’s and we seem to have Ryan’s replacement in Hooker on the team. A lot of posters seem to think Hooker will be the future starting SS but I see him as the #3 S this year and backup NB with initial plans to take the starting NB job in 2020. 

But, back to Byard. 

Whats fair, what’s overpaying, and what do you think he deserves?

I think he will get top S pay in guarantee money which is what counts. 

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This should be a fairly easy deal for the Titans to get done.    The much tougher choices are going to be Henry, Conklin/Kelly, Logan Ryan and obviously Mariota

Byard >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&g

You're off your rocker

Posted Images

Earl Thomas just signed for 13.75 a year, Collins and Matheau for 14 mill a year.  14 per year will be the starting point of any negotiation.  I would guess it will be 5 year and around 72 mill.  That is 14.4 mill per year.  

I truly just do not understand Hooker being pegged as the Ryan replacement before he's ever played a single snap in the NFL.  It would be awesome if he could fill that role, but Ryan is a borderline elite nickel back.  It's more than likely going to take some time for him to learn that role and develop.  While his grade at nickel back was tops in the country I personally don't think the level of receivers he was guarding are anywhere near the level he'll be playing at now.

Byard however, needs to be resigned asap.

4 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

This should be a fairly easy deal for the Titans to get done. 

The much tougher choices are going to be Henry, Conklin/Kelly, Logan Ryan and obviously Mariota

I think you have to extend Byard and Ryan. Henry and one of Conklin/Kelly is next. Mariota is solely based on production. 

The smart move is extending Byard, Ryan, and one of the Olinemen and then tagging Henry. Hoping Mariota proves a lot of us wrong this year.

7 hours ago, ctm said:

The other issue is that, depending on the final 2019 roster, the Titans are going to have somewhere in the neighborhood of 20 free agents this coming March.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2020/all/tennessee-titans/

JRob's biggest challenge is dead ahead.

Yeah but over half dont even play and are second and third teamers the other 25% are older replaceable players, there are only 5 that will or should be kept.