Who Here Was Originally An Oilers Fan And Followed Them To Tennessee?

MIKE75

Born and raised in south Texas between San Antonio and Corpus Christi in the 70’s and 80’s. Entire family were Cowboy fans and so was I until I was about 8-9 years old when I learned to read a map and saw Houston was closer to us than Dallas and I was like wtf?  Then, in Earl Campbell’s hey day with the Oilers I got his autograph while visiting some other relatives in Houston and that was that.  

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You don't need to ask this. Look for the most bitter, cynical posters. Not the angry ones. The ones who are kind of numb, and resolved to suck forever. Those are the fans that used to be Oiler fans an

He actually addressed the team before the season and told them the team would be dismantled regardless of what happened because of upcoming free agency and the salary cap.   Entering that se

Houston native. I'm still pissed at Lanier and Adams for letting the team move.

I attended my first football game as a Sophmore in 98 when the team went undefeated. Accepted the offer to join the team from the coach in spring of 99. Summer, I think July I read in the paper about an NFL team the Titans and said sure I will follow them.  Funny enough the only Football game I ever watched on TV prior to all that  (not the whole thing) Was maybe 1996 or 97? Against the Dolphins. I only saw maybe a quarter. I remember someone making a long run. Maybe have been Eddie I don't know. Maybe it was a catch. I just have a vague memory of someone in blue making a long play running by the sideline.

Med school and residency in Houston.. so a fan since 1971 .. waxed and waned because of moves and raising kids etc but always a fan .. really lucky they moved to Nashville

I know plenty of Tennessee fans that started following the team once the move was announced.  Pretty sure the intent of the OP was for true fans of the Oilers who then still remained fans after they moved to Memphis and then Nashville. 

A lot of us lived through the Bum/Luv Ya Blue teams, the aftermath of that, the Moon era, Glanville, Pardee, and then onto Fisher, McNair, Eddie George, etc.

16 hours ago, originaloiler said:

My parents had season tickets from 1976 until the day they left so I naturally followed them to Tennessee, the only team I ever rooted for since age 7.

You and I are almost the same. My parent bought season tickets in 77. I was born in 79, and I went to every home game, minus maybe 2 or 3, from 84-96.

Hybrid here.  I started following the team 1996 when they announced the move and started showing the games in Nashville every Sunday.  The Oilers had a player I had been following when he was in college, the Tennessean had a little article about Air McNair every Sunday.  I became a big fan.  I actually wanted them to keep the team name and was pissed about the change.  I though Fisher should have been COY a couple of times, especially 99'.

**The team was selling out, but it was the 99' Titans that sold the city.

6 minutes ago, Number9 said:

Hybrid here.  I started following the team 1996 when they announced the move and started showing the games in Nashville every Sunday.  The Oilers had a player I had been following when he was in college, the Tennessean had a little article about Air McNair every Sunday.  I became a big fan.  I actually wanted them to keep the team name and was pissed about the change.  I though Fisher should have been COY a couple of times, especially 99'.

**The team was selling out, but it was the 99' Titans that sold the city.

1999, 2007, 2008 were COY worthy. 

In 2007, they made the playoffs with VY throwing 9 TD and 17 INT and a 71.1 passer rating.  At least his passer rating was > than his IQ.

7 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

Decided to make the Oilers my team after watching them loose to the Steelers in the 1979 AFC championship game.    The play that infuriated me:

It was a bad call but that play would have tied the game and they lost 27-13.  The Steelers were just better.  The Oilers from 78-80 lost in the playoffs to the eventual SB champs each year. 

4 minutes ago, Little Earl said:

Decided to make the Oilers my team after watching them loose to the Steelers in the 1979 AFC championship game.    The play that infuriated me:

They are always going to go with the Steelers, Cowboys and the PATRIOTS.  Just the facts.

I think this is why it was bitter sweet for me when they announced the team we would get.  The Oilers were not on national TV much and unfortunately they lost a lot in the playoffs to popular teams in big televised games like 79' championship game.  I'm pretty sure I watched the Bills great comeback.  There was one time they were on and the Dome looked like the most exciting stadium in the NFL.  The fans were wild and they we playing the "Houston Oiler's" song.  It wasn't until they came here that I found out more about all the great teams they had fielded.

The problem the good Oilers teams had, both in the Luv Ya Blue days and in the Moon era, was that they would lose a game or two each year that they had no business losing and would be a wild card team.  Only once in Houston did they have the #1 seed and that was in 1993, which was a crazy season.

• They started 1993 blowing the Bills game so Bud fired the DC Jim Eddy and personally hired Buddy Ryan without the input of Pardee
  • Buddy immediately pitted the defense against the offense
  • They started out 1-4 and Moon got benched
  • Carlson lasted like one quarter before pulling his hamstring on a scramble so Moon comes back.  That was also the baby gate game where Williams didn't show up to play because of paternity leave and the team was pissed and caused a national debate about it.
  • Alm got in that wreck that killed his BFF (maybe lover?) and swallowed a shot gun
  • Somehow they get hot and win 11 in a row.
  • Buddy punched Gilbride on the side lines in the last game and then refused to apologize
  • They had KC on the ropes but only had a 10-0 lead but let them hang in there and Montana brought them back.
  • In the aftermath, they blew up the team.