Jump to content

Recommended Posts

OILERMAN   
48 minutes ago, 8MM said:

I guess AAS and Jrob doesn't have the same opinion like yours...yet.

No extension is glaring 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
13 minutes ago, StephenIsLegend said:

Of course not. What QB looks good when you watch videos of sacks and interceptions?

Depends 

 

In Mariota’s case it’s rookie type INTs and self inflicted sacks with a glaring lack of awareness 

 

If you can’t see that then you’re not seeing an obvious problem 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

When you watch the cut ups of those sacks and INTs he doesn't even look average 

To be fair any QB would look terrible if you only watched cut ups of just their sacks/INT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Depends 

 

In Mariota’s case it’s rookie type INTs and self inflicted sacks with a glaring lack of awareness 

 

If you can’t see that then you’re not seeing an obvious problem 

I mean, I can definitely agree that some of them are pretty bad, but I would like to see cut ups of other QBs where they look pitiful and compare. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
38 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

To be fair any QB would look terrible if you only watched cut ups of just their sacks/INT.

You aren't going to see the better QBs looking like MM did in those cut ups. Do they all the occasional mistake, sure. Do they make terrible INTs/Sacks, sure. 

 

Mariota consistently looked lost. I believe he was the most sacked QB on a per drop back ratio. 

 

Here is the thing. The team bends over backwards to keep Mariota out of these situations. They ran the ball more on 1st down this past year than either year under Mularkey. 

 

They know he can't succeed being a drop back passer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   

Down to earth truth is this. 

1.  Any HC is going to want to run a run first offense if Mariota is your QB. 

2.  Tannehill wasn't brought here just to be Mariota's backup.  Mariota will get first shot but JRob doesn't know who is the QB next year.

3.  With Tannehill, and Mariota in his last season, there is no reason to go out of our way to accommodate Mariota. 

4.  1,2 and 3 apply even before figuring in the injury history of Mariota. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd argue the decision should have already been made on Mariota if the team truly believes he has to be in a run first offense. We've seen him excel multiple times when the team goes hurry up and opens up the offense. The question is whether he can be consistent or not; the skills are there. I suspect his pocket awareness and lack of killer instinct, I'm just going to let it ride this season is a cringe worthy statement by the leader of the team, are things that he won't be able to overcome. I was willing to give him last year to prove it but the freak nerve injury washed the entire season out. If he does it this year can you really give him a long term contract? The answer should be no.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, oldschool said:

Not sure what Russ is smoking but Collins was not the problem in the playoff loss to the Ravens. It's beyond moronic to claim VY would have done more. CJ went out early and the Titans still moved the ball all game. They fumbled twice inside the 20, missed a FG, and went for it on 4th&8 at the 30. at a minimum thats 12 points down the drain. 

KFC wasn’t the problem .. he wasn’t the solution and he wasn’t the problem. 

 

Im simply stating that we had no solutions after Christmas went down. The only chance we had at all was VY... 

 

now you can say he was terrible and all .. fine. I actually mostly agree with that. But we all saw big plays and players rallying around him. Comebacks and wins we shouldn’t have had. I’m not even saying it was VY doing it. But I AM saying we won more games during his time as a starter here than any other QB we’ve ever had.  Which is a fact. Ugly but true. 

 

So so the only option to win we had that game was to put him in as a wildcard and see how the  team responded.

 

 I also said multiple times that it was an almost impossible decision for fisher to make. ... but I’m adamant in the argument that it was out only choice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, oldschool said:

I'd argue the decision should have already been made on Mariota if the team truly believes he has to be in a run first offense. We've seen him excel multiple times when the team goes hurry up and opens up the offense. The question is whether he can be consistent or not; the skills are there. I suspect his pocket awareness and lack of killer instinct, I'm just going to let it ride this season is a cringe worthy statement by the leader of the team, are things that he won't be able to overcome. I was willing to give him last year to prove it but the freak nerve injury washed the entire season out. If he does it this year can you really give him a long term contract? The answer should be no.

It’s purely a dedication to a passing first offense that’s the problem. 

 

Hes excelled as we’ve passed more. We refuse to do it. 

 

At at this point I almost think it’s amy pushing a run first attitude. 

 

Sink or swim is what people say? Well, let it friggin happen. 

 

When we come out throwing, he’s been good. When we come out hiding him ... he plays like an after thought instead of the focus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Down to earth truth is this. 

1.  Any HC is going to want to run a run first offense if Mariota is your QB. 

2.  Tannehill wasn't brought here just to be Mariota's backup.  Mariota will get first shot but JRob doesn't know who is the QB next year.

3.  With Tannehill, and Mariota in his last season, there is no reason to go out of our way to accommodate Mariota. 

4.  1,2 and 3 apply even before figuring in the injury history of Mariota. 

Oof... so wrong 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   
24 minutes ago, titanruss said:

KFC wasn’t the problem .. he wasn’t the solution and he wasn’t the problem. 

 

Im simply stating that we had no solutions after Christmas went down. The only chance we had at all was VY... 

 

now you can say he was terrible and all .. fine. I actually mostly agree with that. But we all saw big plays and players rallying around him. Comebacks and wins we shouldn’t have had. I’m not even saying it was VY doing it. But I AM saying we won more games during his time as a starter here than any other QB we’ve ever had.  Which is a fact. Ugly but true. 

 

So so the only option to win we had that game was to put him in as a wildcard and see how the  team responded.

 

 I also said multiple times that it was an almost impossible decision for fisher to make. ... but I’m adamant in the argument that it was out only choice

My God man how much more clear can @oldschool be.  We fumbled the game away.  Add in the no call where they should have had a delay of game penalty that wasn't called.  KC didn't even come close to losing that game.  Odd to see the return of the sausage club on this.  Especially considering the meltdown and suicide watch were the best thing to happen to the 2008 team.  They went on to have the best record in the AFC with VY playing with himself on the sidelines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mythos27   
11 hours ago, big2033 said:

Dak Prescott is not elite. Agreed. And yet he hasn't had a season as bad as Mariota.

 

Case closed.

Mariota isn't elite either and like Prescott will likely never be but there is a reason Dak has never had a season as bad as Mariota. Simply put, Dak, from the beginning has been surrounded by superior offensive talent. As the talent started to decline (OL not as good, Dez declining) Dak's production went with it. It actually rally speaks to my point of how much of a difference the surrounding cast can make. If you swap Mariota and Prescott for the first few years I bet there isn't much difference either way. The major difference between the two has IMO been injuries which of course is the biggest strike against Mariota. 

 

Of course, the ideal scenario is to acquire a top 5-7 QB for whom the surrounding cast is more ancillary but by definition these guys are rare and extremely hard to find so until you do, putting legit talent around a mid-range guy like Mariota is your only play. I get the frustration since we didn't draft him at #2 overall to be the kind of QB he's become but short of identifying and successfully acquiring a legit top 5-7 guy we don't really have many other options. 

Edited by Mythos27

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
japan   
11 hours ago, big2033 said:

I had no faith in Collins doing anything for us in the playoffs. The Titans had the look of a phantom 13-3 team that lived on ball control. Get down early, you're in trouble.

 

Collins was just savvy and mistake free despite being sub-par overall. And considering how good our defense and run game was that's all we needed, a marginally better Trent Dilfer. 

 

Stranger things have happened, but I didn't have faith in Collins leading us anywhere in the playoffs.

 

He had 12 TDs and 7ints in 16 games with less than 2700 yards passing ... the fact we want to give him props is part of our "QB perception" problem.

Nah.  For me it was just that he replaced that bum VY and had some success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...