Titans 2019 OTAs

Jonboy

3 hours ago, abc2330 said:

There wasn't that big of a different in Murray.  I remember two long runs against GB and Detroit looked no different than his long run against Seattle in 17 where he looked like some fat kid in PE trying to complete a lap around the track.  I believe teams just lost any shred of respect for our passing game in 17 and refused to let us run the ball

LMAO, he was a totally different back the next year.

Edited by Huston

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good little bits of information on the offseason program so far on today's OTP   - Amani Hooker is already taking reps with the 1st team defense and not looking out of place doing so.

This entire offseason and every thread is going to be a referendum on Mariota isn't it?

Lol.    Everyone knows if it was the opposite happening, you’d be grilling Mariota for not playing as fast. 

Posted Images

44 minutes ago, Vintagerobots said:

I think part of the reason for this is how good Mariota is at faking handoffs, despite his other issues. I don't see it mentioned very often, but he really sells the PA. I've lost count of how many times I've been genuinely fooled by his fakes.

Dont know if it realy helps with play action but his ball handling has always been very good, especially with the RPO mesh point hand offs.

31 minutes ago, Huston said:

LMAO, he was a totally different back the next year.

Yeah he was washed up in 2017.  And with Henry's inconsistent play, defenses really didn't have to respect/fear the running game.

4 hours ago, abc2330 said:

There wasn't that big of a different in Murray.  I remember two long runs against GB and Detroit looked no different than his long run against Seattle in 17 where he looked like some fat kid in PE trying to complete a lap around the track.  I believe teams just lost any shred of respect for our passing game in 17 and refused to let us run the ball

You are insane if you think that. Murray never looked the same after the Jax Thursday night injury. 

And you could have made the long run against GB as the hole was a mile wide and there were zero safeties. 

Edited by japan

The Jax game in 2016 was so f'n stupid.  Giving Murray those carries instead of Henry was unnecessary.

Murray was 2001 Eddie George as a runner in 2017.  Still, Henry got almost the same # of carries and the Titans were 14th/15th in most of the rushing production stats.  It was a drop off from 2016 (3rd/4th in most metrics) but this idea it was the worst in the NFL is simply overstated and we all know why.

The passing game, overall and in the RZ, was what fell off the cliff from 2016 to 2017 and the top 3 in receptions from the prior year (Walker, Matthews, Murray) were on both teams.

30 minutes ago, japan said:

You are insane if you think that. Murray never looked the same after the Jax Thursday night injury. 

And you could have made the long run against GB as the hole was a mile wide and there were zero safeties. 

Most of our wins came after that Jacksonville game.  11 of Mariota's TDs came in the 4 games after that Jacksonville game.  The demise of the offense wasn't correlated with the demise of Murray

1 hour ago, Huston said:

Dont know if it realy helps with play action but his ball handling has always been very good, especially with the RPO mesh point hand offs.

I don't know man, I see so many QBs do that half ass motion towards the RB on PA. Mariota really acts like its a run until the fake most of the time. 

I cant remember which game it was last season, but there was one RPO play where Henry was a hair of a second from taking off with the ball, but Mariota pulled the ball back all the way from Henry's opposite side and ran it for the TD. It was like at the very last possible moment Mariota saw something he liked and took off. I'm pretty convinced that Henry was just as surprised as I was that he didn't have the ball. 

25 minutes ago, Vintagerobots said:

I don't know man, I see so many QBs do that half ass motion towards the RB on PA. Mariota really acts like its a run until the fake most of the time. 

I cant remember which game it was last season, but there was one RPO play where Henry was a hair of a second from taking off with the ball, but Mariota pulled the ball back all the way from Henry's opposite side and ran it for the TD. It was like at the very last possible moment Mariota saw something he liked and took off. I'm pretty convinced that Henry was just as surprised as I was that he didn't have the ball. 

Or the one in Dallas when he stuck the ball in Lewis' gut and held it there until the DE was a half-step from crushing Lewis.

Then he pulled it and shoveled the ball to Jonnu for the TD.

He's been doing that kind of stuff since his early days at Oregon.

• Jonboy unpinned this topic