Titans 2019 OTAs

Jonboy

Yea Alex Smith was a huge bust early in his career and even after he played better KC couldn't wait to get rid of him. 

I hardly doubt Mariota's agent will argue that case when trying to get a new deal. 

The issue is now whether or not Mariota is worth extending or would the team be better off going with a rookie next year at a much reduced cap hit for 4 years

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good little bits of information on the offseason program so far on today's OTP   - Amani Hooker is already taking reps with the 1st team defense and not looking out of place doing so.

This entire offseason and every thread is going to be a referendum on Mariota isn't it?

Lol.    Everyone knows if it was the opposite happening, you’d be grilling Mariota for not playing as fast. 

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Justafan said:

Alex Smith rookie year - Played 9 games and started 7.  875 yards with 1TD and 11 INTs

Alex Smith year two - 2800 yards in 16 games.  16 TDs and 16 INTs.

Alex Smith year three - Played in 7 games - 914 yards and 2TDs to 4INTs.

Alex Smith year four - Missed entire season due to shoulder injury

Alex Smith didn't come close to Mariota's production until year 7 where he finally threw for 3100 yards with 17 TDs and 5 INTs.  He "broke out" in KC under one of the most prolific passing offensive minds in the league after 9 years in the league with a whopping 3300 yards and 23 TDs.

Mariota managed to beat all but Alex Smith's very best year in a dumbed down run-first offense his second year in the league.

Mariota is head and shoulders above Alex Smith in terms of talent and production.

Yes, Mariota is not elite but some of ya'll are completely delusional the other way around too.  Mariota, when healthy is somewhere in the 15-25 area and he's only 25 years old.  He has to improve but to say he's not on Alex Smith's level or to make comparisons to Andy Dalton who has had prolific help for most of his career is just not accurate.

Justafan with a strong take. You’d think Mariota was Danny Wuerffel if you read this board lately.  

Edited by japan

6 minutes ago, japan said:

Justafan with s strong take. You’d think Mariota was Danny Wuerffel if you read this board lately.  

This is what it's come to? 

I know myself and others have stated Mariota has played well at times, even in streaks of consecutive games. Far better than the major busts have played. 

Has he played well enough to warrant an extension or make you think the Titans could make a SB run with him at QB? Not in imo

7 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

Just flashing up stats doesn't tell the story.  Mariota's stats the last two years suck anyway.  Smith went from horrible to a decent QB (his last year in KC was more than solid).  Mariota seems to have gone the opposite direction after looking like a sure thing to Jake Locker (missing the Colt's game still pisses me off). 

One of the biggest reasons Smith was able to improve in the latter part of his career is because he was staying healthy enough to improve. Mariota just keeps getting hurt in ways that not only affect his on-field play but also get in the way of him improving between seasons and in practice throughout the season. Injuries have literally stunted the guy's career and are the biggest threat to it. 

There are certainly a number of parallels with Mariota and Alex Smith. 

However,  even if we assume this comparison is accurate.....Marcus' first four years are head-and-shoulders above Smith's first four seasons.   (Or five...or six).    Marcus has also developed into a very good deep passer....which is an area where Smith has historically struggled.   

If we're making predictions based on their first four seasons....then at worst, Marcus projects as a more talented and productive version of Smith with greater big-play potential.   (And a much better and more effective runner, to boot.)

2 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

They both suck and couldn't stay healthy? 

The injuries are obviously a huge part of it....but I was also referring to unstable, inconsistent coaching and a revolving door receiving corps.

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

Yea Alex Smith was a huge bust early in his career and even after he played better KC couldn't wait to get rid of him. 

I hardly doubt Mariota's agent will argue that case when trying to get a new deal. 

The issue is now whether or not Mariota is worth extending or would the team be better off going with a rookie next year at a much reduced cap hit for 4 years

47 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

This is what it's come to? 

I know myself and others have stated Mariota has played well at times, even in streaks of consecutive games. Far better than the major busts have played. 

Has he played well enough to warrant an extension or make you think the Titans could make a SB run with him at QB? Not in imo

All I'm saying is that some people are over the top in their criticism and make comparisons that are silly to try and pound home a point that can't stand on its own merit.

I won't argue that Mariota hasn't played up to expectations of a #2 overall pick or that a rookie contract doesn't look awfully tempting if Mariota gets hurt again or shows that after five seasons he can still put up only mediocre, even if often effective, numbers.

I'll also say that, if healthy, the Titans can absolutely make a run with Mariota at the helm.  Teams have done it with less at QB so that argument doesn't hold weight IMO.  Now if the argument is, can they be a perennial contender with Mariota then I think that is far less likely because they would have to be so good across the rest of the roster.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's time to scrap things and start over with a rookie though.  If Mariota comes out this season and throws 23 TDs to 5 Ints or something like that, I think he gets his extension and it will be deserved at that point.  

24 minutes ago, Justafan said:

All I'm saying is that some people are over the top in their criticism and make comparisons that are silly to try and pound home a point that can't stand on its own merit.

I won't argue that Mariota hasn't played up to expectations of a #2 overall pick or that a rookie contract doesn't look awfully tempting if Mariota gets hurt again or shows that after five seasons he can still put up only mediocre, even if often effective, numbers.

I'll also say that, if healthy, the Titans can absolutely make a run with Mariota at the helm.  Teams have done it with less at QB so that argument doesn't hold weight IMO.  Now if the argument is, can they be a perennial contender with Mariota then I think that is far less likely because they would have to be so good across the rest of the roster.  That doesn't necessarily mean it's time to scrap things and start over with a rookie though.  If Mariota comes out this season and throws 23 TDs to 5 Ints or something like that, I think he gets his extension and it will be deserved at that point.  

Would also have to stay mostly healthy too imo. But it's certainly within the realm of possibility that he puts it together (and I hope to God he does). But I think his ceiling is well outside the top 7-10 QB range though. 

I think it’s funny that people continue on about how MM needs to be shielded and how we shouldn’t run an open offense. Why would you want to shield a QB you think won’t succeed, especially when you think his immediate replacement is the backup? It’s logically inconsistent, which isn’t even to mention how the massive majority of his best games the past two years came when they opened up the offense and made him the centerpiece. Baltimore and Jax in 2016 are the two games where this was attempted and he was historically awful. Other than that though he’s done well when we open the offense, much better than when we trot out the offenses against Buffalo and Cleveland. 

53 minutes ago, nine said:

However,  even if we assume this comparison is accurate.....Marcus' first four years are head-and-shoulders above Smith's first four seasons.   (Or five...or six).    Marcus has also developed into a very good deep passer....which is an area where Smith has historically struggled.   

If we're making predictions based on their first four seasons....then at worst, Marcus projects as a more talented and productive version of Smith with greater big-play potential.   (And a much better and more effective runner, to boot.)

That was never really the perception prior to being paired with a OC in a system which excels in PA.  And he only had 25 attempts of 16+ yards last year. 

1 hour ago, nine said:

Not true actually. Alex Smith had a great deep ball season the same way Mariota did. Schemed, forced throws within the offence.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000921980/article/alex-smith-matthew-stafford-head-top-deepball-throwers-of-17

That's the problem. It has to be forced, he's not actually a deep ball thrower.

Smith pretty much did nothing until Harbaugh showed up.  Either injured or bad.  Under Harbaugh/Roman, he played pretty well and actually was playing really well when he suffered a concussion in their SB year.  That's how he lost his job to Kaepernick.

In KC, he was pretty good under Reid, especially in his last year.  Of course, Mahomes steps in the next year with the same team and was A LOT more productive.

If Mariota could play at the level that Smith did under Harbaugh and Reid, you can win in this league.  Maybe not a SB but be a playoff team.

• Jonboy pinned this topic
  • Jonboy unpinned this topic