Titans 2019 OTAs

Jonboy

31 minutes ago, tgo said:

Imo, Mariota has a chance to do enough with the talent around him to draw the franchise tag in 2020, but he will never be a top 10 QB. 

Yeah, so we shouldn't be happy with that. We should take the Alex Smith approach or we're going to waste what I believe is a at-worst a solid roster created by J-Rob.

Obviously easier said than done. 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some good little bits of information on the offseason program so far on today's OTP   - Amani Hooker is already taking reps with the 1st team defense and not looking out of place doing so.

This entire offseason and every thread is going to be a referendum on Mariota isn't it?

Lol.    Everyone knows if it was the opposite happening, you’d be grilling Mariota for not playing as fast. 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, oldschool said:

I'm pretty sure Russ is one of the ones I argued with regarding Collins being better than VY. Even a washed up Collins was better. If you compare their careers it's not even close.

I'll fully admit I backed VY through a lot of it. But, unlike some, I learned my lesson when it came to pointing fingers at others and not your new franchise QB. 

Not just the Titans but there's something about drafted QBs that compels people to latch on to them. It's like they become your own child you don't want to see fail.

Edited by big2033

37 minutes ago, big2033 said:

I agree. But acknowledge your QB is average or even below and that part of the problem is not the talent around him but the QB himself. 

That's the problem we have here.

At some point you have to realize you're wasting your roster going with an average arm. Stop saying everyone is the problem and realize maybe the problem is the QB.

The Raiders were doing NOTHING with Cooper and they blamed him for it. Look at Cooper now with marginal talent versus the QB they stuck with.

You can waste the talent on your roster with sub-par QB play.

I don't disagree at all. An average QB can indeed limit a good roster and we've seen this with guys like  Dalton. I believe we now unquestionably have enough talent around Mariota for him to be deemed the problem if shit goes sideways. If he shits the bed due to injury or otherwise, I'm out. 

1 hour ago, abc2330 said:

Mariota needs to work on his TD/INT ratio more than I need to work on my reigning in my emotions.  

Ok but I'm sure he's out there working on that as we speak. Meanwhile you're just getting worse. Hyperbole certainly does have it's place in legitimate conversation but a comment that is purely hyperbolic like the one you made is pretty useless unless the point is to express some kind of negative emotion. 

1 hour ago, tgo said:

Imo, Mariota has a chance to do enough with the talent around him to draw the franchise tag in 2020, but he will never be a top 10 QB. 

Going out on a limb here...

15 hours ago, BudAdams said:

He had Mariota like numbers in 2008 - 12 TD (2.9%), 7 INT (1.7%), 80.2 Passer Rating.  That team was driven by a dominant defense and CJ/Lendale running it down team's throats.  Collins was the ultimate game manager. 

Collins would not just throw the ball away...he would throw it 10 rows deep in the stands to avoid a TO.

He was Fisher's pride and joy!

1 hour ago, Adams said:

If MM could only improve or at a minimum get back to where he use to be, it would need to be his red zone play.  Dude used to be money.

This was one of our biggest problems last year.  I felt like we moved the ball well for the most part but just stalled out.  There were many times I felt like we weren't calling the best plays down near the goal line.  Took 8 games to figure out that sometimes you just give the ball to Henry.

I know that Mariota is to blame also but it started right off the bat in the Miami game.  1st and goal on the 5 and we throw the ball 3 times and run it once.

59 minutes ago, Mythos27 said:

Ok but I'm sure he's out there working on that as we speak. Meanwhile you're just getting worse. Hyperbole certainly does have it's place in legitimate conversation but a comment that is purely hyperbolic like the one you made is pretty useless unless the point is to express some kind of negative emotion. 

Stop blaming his teammates then.  Please tell me about this awesome supporting cast that Dak had.  We saw that team the year before he arrived, and it was shit.  They went from the 31st scoring offense to #5.  There is more to it than him simply having a better team around him, which other than Mariota's rookie year, I disagree with as well.

2 hours ago, tgo said:

maybe not but that's would be a nice start to turning his career around.  couple years without any major injuries is what he needs if he's gonna ever be able to climb his way back to being considered a top QB.

34 minutes ago, Soxcat said:

The 2017 tape says it all.  inaccurate throws and horrible decision making.  Most of the time he was throwing an int with no real pressure.  Add in he has no feel for the pocket and never really makes plays moving in the pocket.  He either runs, makes a shit throw or tosses it into the sidelines.  That is if he doesn't run the wrong way and get sacked.  I hate saying this about a guy I wish could be our legit franchise QB but facts are facts.

For a mobile qb, this is sort of ironic.  Agree with most of the post.  

The ringer had the overthecap guy on their podcast today and they were talking QBs. He was basically saying if you have anything at all at QB the team will sign them. He was talking about Prescott specifically. 

He said Mariota and Winston would be test cases on how bad the QBs can be that get extensions, he said their teams shouldn't sign them but might anyway. 

5 hours ago, Mythos27 said:

Forgive him. He's baked.

Edited by Somedude

1 hour ago, OILERMAN said:

The ringer had the overthecap guy on their podcast today and they were talking QBs. He was basically saying if you have anything at all at QB the team will sign them. He was talking about Prescott specifically. 

He said Mariota and Winston would be test cases on how bad the QBs can be that get extensions, he said their teams shouldn't sign them but might anyway. 

I could see the Titans being interested in bringing him back, i.e. coming to the table with a legitimate intention to keep him on the roster and the suitable amount of $ to do that. Unlike other positions I think a team can do that at QB and still treat the position as unfilled in the impending offseason - scout the rookies top to bottom, target any FAs of interest, work the trade blocks. Actually having it completely unfilled seems very risky. If you do that, there's a good chance you end up overpaying out of desperation in FA, for the same or worse.

MM may not want that but perhaps that's why Tannehill is here. I think you need one of them for 2020 as well.

• Jonboy pinned this topic
  • Jonboy unpinned this topic