PFF: Tannehill among the most accurate ball placement in 2018

Titans279

4 hours ago, reo said:

Watched a PFF on this. They didn't get too much into Tannehill but did note that a lot of his passes were screens iirc.

They said he had an inordinate number of screens or dump off type stuff where the receivers had a ton of YAC.

4 minutes ago, Face said:

They said he had an inordinate number of screens or dump off type stuff where the receivers had a ton of YAC.

ML had a lot of plays like that, but the ball has to get there on time. Remember when all the board experts were explaining the new offense. Or remember how everybody was all excited about Taylor’s big TD in PS. We went into the season, expecting explosive plays like that. 

20 minutes ago, Number9 said:

It’s about the QB. The Titans won nine games last season. Could they have beaten the Colts one out of two?  IDK. I think with a QB playing as l described they would have done better. What do you think?

I think that given the O-Line's struggles (scheme and injuries) the season was pretty much in the shitter when Delanie went down and then Matthews decided to walk.

At the bye week one of the media pundits asked either Sharpe or Taylor (I can't remember which) how many guys had the new scheme memorized.

The answer was just one,...  Marcus.

And then post-season we learned he was riddled with injuries we'd never heard about.

I think if the whole team had been able to play, and decided to play, and hadn't been hampered by injuries when they did play, that things would have turned out differently.

But,... YMMV

14 minutes ago, Number9 said:

ML had a lot of plays like that, but the ball has to get there on time. Remember when all the board experts were explaining the new offense. Or remember how everybody was all excited about Taylor’s big TD in PS. We went into the season, expecting explosive plays like that. 

It’s not a comparable amount

This is the most impressive stat that I think I've seen up to this point. The ability to place balls exactly where they need to be is such an underrated asset.

Have you ever been teabagged by someone with terrible ball placement? Instead of inside the mouth, they land on the nose. It kills the romanticism of the entire moment.

9 minutes ago, TitanDuckFan said:

I think that given the O-Line's struggles (scheme and injuries) the season was pretty much in the shitter when Delanie went down and then Matthews decided to walk.

At the bye week one of the media pundits asked either Sharpe or Taylor (I can't remember which) how many guys had the new scheme memorized.

The answer was just one,...  Marcus.

And then post-season we learned he was riddled with injuries we'd never heard about.

I think if the whole team had been able to play, and decided to play, and hadn't been hampered by injuries when they did play, that things would have turned out differently.

But,... YMMV

So, you agree with me.  This is why the whole thing just goes round and round.  In your words "The answer was just one,...  Marcus.  And then post-season we learned he was riddled with injuries we'd never heard about."   

If he was healthy, could play full seasons and not have his development stifled by injuries, he could be the guy.  But he can't develop if he's hurt, he's trying to survive through the game.  Then there's practice.  How can your QB practice the game plans while he hurting?  Some of this isn't that hard to understand.  The QB has a bad foot and broke ribs, how can you expect his A game.  And again, his development in slowed or nonexistent.  

The situation appears to not be getting better, but worse.  When the 2017 season ended, I was one of the posters who said "see, that's why Mariota was having problems.  The hammy never fully healed and they had him out there anyway."

You know all this and so does everybody else.  @StephenIsLegend will fly in here next and say "that's nothing new.  Tell me something new."  Well, it ain't nothing new.  Mariota gets hurt too much.  It hurts his play.  It hurts his development.  It keeps the Titans from being as good as they could be.

1 hour ago, Number9 said:

So, you agree with me.  This is why the whole thing just goes round and round.  In your words "The answer was just one,...  Marcus.  And then post-season we learned he was riddled with injuries we'd never heard about."   

If he was healthy, could play full seasons and not have his development stifled by injuries, he could be the guy.  But he can't develop if he's hurt, he's trying to survive through the game.  Then there's practice.  How can your QB practice the game plans while he hurting?  Some of this isn't that hard to understand.  The QB has a bad foot and broke ribs, how can you expect his A game.  And again, his development in slowed or nonexistent.  

The situation appears to not be getting better, but worse.  When the 2017 season ended, I was one of the posters who said "see, that's why Mariota was having problems.  The hammy never fully healed and they had him out there anyway."

You know all this and so does everybody else.  @StephenIsLegend will fly in here next and say "that's nothing new.  Tell me something new."  Well, it ain't nothing new.  Mariota gets hurt too much.  It hurts his play.  It hurts his development.  It keeps the Titans from being as good as they could be.

Should have played Gabbert and finished 7-9.

how is 2 steps of separation not considered "open"? 

i wonder what the criteria is for accurate? like the receiver doesnt have to stretch outside their frame any at all?

12 minutes ago, AvgJoe said:

Mariota actually has some competition. Let’s see if he can stay on the field and actually THROW THE BALL this year.

An equally compelling story is that Tannehill has competition.  And a good team.  He's never really had either.  I expect that there will be some debate when TC rolls around.  Tannehill's ability as well as his confidence and demeanor on the field are really going to stand out.

Edited by abc2330