NashvilleNinja

What's your Mariota threshold?

It would be nice if Mariota outplayed just one of the younger QBs that has entered the league the past couple of years. 

Edited by headhunter

WG53   
1 hour ago, big2033 said:

Honestly. The issue people have with Mariota's revolving OCs needs to stop.

I understand it's been excessive but:

1. Offensive Coordinators change a lot when the QB/Offense is bad.

2. Offensive Coordinators change a lot with the QB/Offense is good.

It seems like some of you are expecting years and years of the same OC. It rarely happens. Especially today. It's on the QB in the end.

All you can hope for is come kind of continuity.

Alex Smith has had a ton of OCs ... you guys think he's great and has been held back by so many OCs?

If Mariota plays bad, he'll keep getting new OCs whether with us or another team.

IF Mariota plays really well ... he'll also keep getting new OCs at least every two years. 

So he better be good regardless of who's calling his plays. That's the reality.

Lol no.

Revolving OCs are not the norm anywhere.

Smith would be better if he wasn't learning a new offense each year. Any player would.

big2033   
1 minute ago, WG53 said:

Lol no.

Revolving OCs are not the norm anywhere.

Smith would be better if he wasn't learning a new offense each year. Any player would.

Or maybe he has to learn a new offense because OCs keep getting blamed for inability to be a great QB?

It took one of the best minds in history to make him a game manager. Not great, a game manager.

WG53   
3 minutes ago, big2033 said:

Or maybe he has to learn a new offense because OCs keep getting blamed for inability to be a great QB?

Lol not even remotely close.

big2033   
20 minutes ago, WG53 said:

Lol not even remotely close.

Really, you think Alex Smith's career is due to coaching? 

Honestly. The issue people have with Mariota's revolving OCs needs to stop.

I understand it's been excessive but:

1. Offensive Coordinators change a lot when the QB/Offense is bad.

2. Offensive Coordinators change a lot with the QB/Offense is good.

It seems like some of you are expecting years and years of the same OC. It rarely happens. Especially today. It's on the QB in the end.

All you can hope for is come kind of continuity.

Alex Smith has had a ton of OCs ... you guys think he's great and has been held back by so many OCs?

If Mariota plays bad, he'll keep getting new OCs whether with us or another team.

IF Mariota plays really well ... he'll also keep getting new OCs at least every two years. 

So he better be good regardless of who's calling his plays. That's the reality.

We all understand it's been excessive but just because some of you are tired of hearing these excuses or you think that mentioning it needs to stop doesn't change the fact that he has had 3 coaches and 3 different offensive systems in his first 4 years in the league.

If you don't want to hear the reality of the situation then STFU about Mariota.

He's had a tough road his first four years...shitty run organization,  shitty head coaches,  shitload of injuries and yeah...maybe he wasn't actually good enough to overcome all those things and play high level consistent football.  It's impossible to really tell which of the above issues effected him the most.  Probably all of them to a basically equal extent if I had to guess

And we all know what he has to do this year..play well and stay healthy.  I won't weep for Mariota if he's not our QB.  I will actually forget about him very quickly.

big2033   
6 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

We all understand it's been excessive but just because some of you are tired of hearing these excuses or you think that mentioning it needs to stop doesn't change the fact that he has had 3 coaches and 3 different offensive systems in his first 4 years in the league.

If you don't want to hear the reality of the situation then STFU about Mariota.

He's had a tough road his first four years...shitty run organization,  shitty head coaches,  shitload of injuries and yeah...maybe he wasn't actually good enough to overcome all those things and play high level consistent football.  It's impossible to really tell which of the above issues effected him the most.  Probably all of them to a basically equal extent if I had to guess

And we all know what he has to do this year..play well and stay healthy.  I won't weep for Mariota if he's not our QB.  I will actually forget about him very quickly.

No, I think that the belief that Mariota's situation is unique needs to stop.

Most "star" QBs don't come to great situations. Most QBs have a lot of OCs. Most star QBs come to struggling franchises. Most QBs have injuries.

AND:

Most QBs are flops.

It's the ones that can overcome all that survive.

If Baker Mayfield becomes great you think it's because the Browns ownership turned things around? LOL. No, it's because he's the best QB they've had in decades. Suddenly, the shitty franchise seems sturdy.

Mayfield plays great, suddenly players want to play there, suddenly the franchise wants to spend on pieces. 

Edited by big2033

39 minutes ago, big2033 said:

No, I think that the belief that Mariota's situation is unique needs to stop.

Most "star" QBs don't come to great situations. Most QBs have a lot of OCs. Most star QBs come to struggling franchises. Most QBs have injuries.

AND:

Most QBs are flops.

It's the ones that can overcome all that survive.

If Baker Mayfield becomes great you think it's because the Browns ownership turned things around? LOL. No, it's because he's the best QB they've had in decades. Suddenly, the shitty franchise seems sturdy.

Mayfield plays great, suddenly players want to play there, suddenly the franchise wants to spend on pieces. 

well it will be interesting to see what Mayfield becomes.....in cleveland....on the browns.

after one day at camp OBJ had to leave to get his head straight.  Browns are gonna brown.

big2033   
1 hour ago, oldschool said:

The revolving door at OC is a factor. Acting like it's not is disingenuous. 

Never said it wasn't a factor. I'm saying it's a factor for most QBs in the NFL.

So to say it's made him below average when Andrew Luck has had similar hurdles and still excelled shows you who has it and who doesn't. 

Andrew Luck had Bruce Arians as his OC for year 1.

Then Arians left.

Then he had Pep Hamilton for two.

Then he was gone.

Then he had Rudchzinski for two (injured for an entire year). 

Then everyone got fired.

Came back and killed it. He's had 4 OCs in his career including one gone after his rookie season. With a coke snorting franchise that couldn't draft for shit.

And through all that, he's been above average AT LEAST.  Also, you could argue the only good OCs in that group is Arians and Reich, his current coach. And yet, he was putting up pro bowl numbers through it all.

1 minute ago, big2033 said:

Never said it wasn't a factor. I'm saying it's a factor for most QBs in the NFL.

So to say it's made him below average when Andrew Luck has had similar hurdles and still excelled shows you who has it and who doesn't. 

Andrew Luck had Bruce Arians as his OC for year 1.

Then Arians left.

Then he had Pep Hamilton for two.

Then he was gone.

Then he had Rudchzinski for two (injured for an entire year). 

Then everyone got fired.

Came back and killed it. He's had 4 OCs in his career including one gone after his rookie season. With a coke snorting franchise that couldn't draft for shit.

And through all that, he's been above average AT LEAST.  Also, you could argue the only good OCs in that group is Arians and Reich, his current coach. And yet, he was putting up pro bowl numbers through it all.

you may want to pick another comparison.

- Arians is a great offensive coach and players love him. He has a long record of teaching the game

- Hamilton was Luck's college OC... no need to say anymore

WG53   

Really, you think Alex Smith's career is due to coaching? 

If you think going through a new offense every year doesn't affect a player's growth then you are clueless. 

Number9   

Quit. Mariota should quit. He should go on all the networks and tell them off. Explain that he’s had a bunch of different OC. Tell them he’s been hurt a lot so wtf do they expect. Pull out his passing completion percentage record and say I did that, so fuck off. 

Then demand the highest ever contract, fully guaranteed. Either that or he’s going back to the island. 

Edited by Number9