NashvilleNinja

What's your Mariota threshold?

Start at least 14 games and win a wildcard playoff game with the team winning with him and not despite him.  The loss in the divisional round can't be mostly attributed to his mistakes.  If that happens the stats will be adequate enough and it's much much more about helping the team win than anything to do with stats anyway.   That will get him another chance(franchise tag) to prove he can be successful consistently.  Less than this and Jrob will get his chance to draft a first round QB.

An obviously huge win in the divisonal round and berth in the afc championship game gets him an extension.  The team will in no way be able to get that far winning despite him-he would have to be doing a ton of things right. 

OzTitan   

Not numbers based for me. I mean realistically it will require much better numbers but I wouldn't be keen if he suddenly turned into a stat stuffer.

He has to show that without him the Titans likely take a step back, so he has to be key to a successful winning season. Anything else and it's not worth it.

The injury stuff to me is also not overly relevant. Finishing 16 starts would be great but it doesn't mean anything going forward. If he gets hurt again then it seems unlikely he'll satisfy the above criteria so it's sort of beside the point.

8MM   
43 minutes ago, smokeater said:

Start at least 14 games and win a wildcard playoff game with the team winning with him and not despite him.  

Interesting.  How many games did the team win despite of him?

1 hour ago, StephenIsLegend said:

He has to be available for all 16 games for me. I’d like to see around 30 tds/10 ints and over 4K yards passing. 

This seems like an unrealistic bar. Plenty of good QBs miss a few games. It's the big injuries that matter.

FRT   

It all depends on how many games/years it takes for a 5th year QB to pick up Smith’s  Offense.

10 minutes ago, FRT said:

It all depends on how many games/years it takes for a 5th year QB to pick up Smith’s  Offense.

I've been told changing OCs and offenses is no big deal...

Justafan   
2 hours ago, big2033 said:

I don't think he even needs to start 16 games.

He needs to put up top 10 numbers: 25+ TDs, 12 INTs or less and 3,400 plus passing yards.

But I agree with @OILERMAN you might as well bite the bullet and franchise him regardless.

It's all about production not games started for me. If he was still putting up numbers and missing 2 games a year I'd be fine with it.

This is the reasonable answer in my eyes.  He has to produce at a level that makes the contract worth it.  If he doesn't, then you're better off getting a rookie on a rookie contract.  

1 hour ago, 8MM said:

Interesting.  How many games did the team win despite of him?

Got me. Dam 50 year old brain strikes again. I’d blame it on fat texting fingers but I don’t think that’s believable. Sux getting old...lol. 

Callidus   

I don't want to give a strait statistical answer to this because it depends on how we run the offense.

If I had to say something though.

If we have a low passing attempts again

3200yrds 25tds 7ints 65%

If we are mid or higher in attempts

4000yrds 30tds 10ints 63%

I hope he can go without injury but 1 or 2 games I wouldn't cry over as long as it isn't during the playoff push.

japan   
3 hours ago, big2033 said:

I don't think he even needs to start 16 games.

He needs to put up top 10 numbers: 25+ TDs, 12 INTs or less and 3,400 plus passing yards.

But I agree with @OILERMAN you might as well bite the bullet and franchise him regardless.

It's all about production not games started for me. If he was still putting up numbers and missing 2 games a year I'd be fine with it.

I get what you guys are saying but after reading you and Oilerman the last year, why would you even consider franchising him.  Seems to go against everything you guys have been preaching.  Even if his numbers are good enough, cut bait and draft the next QB.

BudAdams   

I took it that they would franchise him only if he had a good to great year.  If he’s average or worse, you move on because you can at worst duplicate that production at far less than the franchise tag.

japan   
3 hours ago, AvgJoe said:

He has to play 16 games, win in the playoffs, and finish Top 5 in the MVP race for me. I don’t give a damn about the award, but that will mean he had dominant stats. Even then, I would tag him and make him do it again while seriously considering a Round 1 QB.

Him winning the first playoff game since the McNair era probably means more to the organization than we think.  Although his injury costing us the playoffs last season probably took some of the luster off.  He'll be given every chance to do something this season I think.  I am going to guess the leash may be long.  Tannehill is here for the injury insurance I believe.

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

If he does that then all the better

Let's be real, a better question is how long until Tannehill is starting 

Oilerman keepin' it real. Thats why he is the Tupac of this place!

spacer.png