What's your Mariota threshold?

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wouldn't give him an extension almost regardless of what he does. I'd give him the franchise tag if he had a good year and make him do it longer.     

Completion pct. - 99% Sacks - 0   Anything less is unacceptable.  Move on.  

Him staying healthy is enough.  I believe he'll produce acceptable numbers and, more importantly, wins if he is healthy.

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

This all depends on how much they cut him loose too. It’s not fair to expect crazy numbers if they only throw 20 passes a game.  Efficiency is the key.

That's a chicken and the egg argument.

They'll cut him loose when he successfully cuts it loose.

Nobody is holding him back.

Edited by big2033

14 hours ago, OzTitan said:

Not numbers based for me. I mean realistically it will require much better numbers but I wouldn't be keen if he suddenly turned into a stat stuffer.

He has to show that without him the Titans likely take a step back, so he has to be key to a successful winning season. Anything else and it's not worth it.

The injury stuff to me is also not overly relevant. Finishing 16 starts would be great but it doesn't mean anything going forward. If he gets hurt again then it seems unlikely he'll satisfy the above criteria so it's sort of beside the point.

This is how I feel as well, he has to be the reason they win games and not just be a game manager. It’s also worth noting that In the history of the Titans they have only had a few seasons where the QB played all 16 games.

5 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Something else to consider is what a rookie's contract would be compared to keeping Mariota. Mariota is counting 21 mill now and will count 27 mill to franchise after this year. 

As the #1 pick Mayfield counted less than 6 mill, Josh Allen counted less than 4 mill, Josh Rosen 3.1 mill!......

If the Titans draft a QB in the 1st round next year they will have him 4 years, then have the 5th year option. A rookie contract for a QB gives the team huge flexibility with the roster. 

Mariota is already giving the team rookie production so you don't even lose anything on the field. 

No brainer, let Mariota go after this season and draft a QB in round 1 next year

To put some of the production numbers into some perspective.

The average NFL QB (qualified passers) in 2017 produced numbers very close to Mariota's rookie season:  272-433 (62.8%), 3074 yards (7.1 YPA), 19 TD (4.3%), 10 INT (2.4%), TD/INT ration of 1.9, Passer Rating of 89.0

The closest to that profile in 2017 were Jameis Winston and Derek Carr. 

Mariota ranked as follows in the efficiency based metrics:  Completion % (20), YPA (18), TD% (29), INT% (32), TD/INT ratio (31), Passer Rating (29)

The average NFL QB (qualified passers) in 2018 produced 307-468 (65.6%), 3510 yards (7.5 YPA), 23 TD (4.9%), 11 INT (2.4%), TD/INT ratio of 2.5, Passer Rating of 94.6

The closest to that profile in 2018 were Roethlisberger and Cam Newton. 

Mariota ranked as follows in the efficiency based metrics:  Completion % (6), YPA (15), TD% (27), INT% (20), TD/INT ratio (28), Passer Rating (22)

wins and availability

I dont think he has to play 16 games but it sure would mean a lot if he did.

and if he did and we get to 10 wins I would say stats be damned...no team is gonna do that well with poor QB play.  Tag him or try to sign him.

less than 10 wins then you gotta start to look at his play and make a decision on if there are better options.

I'm probably drafting a rookie QB next year regardless. Mariota had his shot to show what he can do. Hes not worth the price tag. He is what he is after 5 years in the league. 

Edited by headhunter

These are my minimum requirements otherwise he is a absolute scrub who should play in the arena league:

5500 yards with 3 1000 yard receivers

1200 rushing yards

50 passing TDs

15 rushing TDs

Play in all 19 games.

Apologize for being bad the past two seasons

Hopefully he is able to achieve those easy tasks

22 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

These are my minimum requirements otherwise he is a absolute scrub who should play in the arena league:

1200 rushing yards

50 passing TDs

15 rushing TDs

Play in all 19 games.

Career numbers?

27 minutes ago, TheBukafax said:

1200 rushing yards

50 passing TDs

15 rushing TDs

Play in all 19 games.

Some of those numbers are pretty close to his actual totals for the last 3 years :( 

2016-2018

54 TD passes

9 rushing TD's

1101 rushing yards

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

Something else to consider is what a rookie's contract would be compared to keeping Mariota. Mariota is counting 21 mill now and will count 27 mill to franchise after this year. 

As the #1 pick Mayfield counted less than 6 mill, Josh Allen counted less than 4 mill, Josh Rosen 3.1 mill!......

If the Titans draft a QB in the 1st round next year they will have him 4 years, then have the 5th year option. A rookie contract for a QB gives the team huge flexibility with the roster. 

Mariota is already giving the team rookie production so you don't even lose anything on the field. 

No brainer, let Mariota go after this season and draft a QB in round 1 next year

That's how you build championship contenders.  You get your franchise QB and as he develops at low cost you build a great team around him.  Then you have to pay big for your QB.  

Mariota is wasting all this talent we have.  I used to say MM 2MVP  1 SB MVP (nobody ever got  mad it me then)  I was saying that because that's where the talent on the whole team was headed.  QB gets the glory.

The 2019 Titans would be considered contenders except for one position.  Marcus Mariota.  With him at QB we are picked to finish last in the AFC South.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001030790/article/antonio-brown-headlines-nfl-players-under-most-pressure-in-19

Tennessee is a really solid team. GM Jon Robinson and head coach Mike Vrabel are building a well-rounded roster and establishing the kind of culture that breeds success. One question remains, though, and it's kind of a big one ...

Do the Titans have a franchise quarterback?

I keep waiting for Mariota to be great. The former Heisman Trophy winner and No. 2 overall pick has shown flashes of good, but inconsistency and injury have prevented anything more. Mariota has missed time in each of his first four NFL seasons, which is why the Titans went out and got Ryan Tannehill. He's not a threat to beat Mariota in a quarterback competition -- he's a better backup plan if (when?) the starter goes down. At the same time, let's not pretend Mariota's some kind of established organizational pillar. He's a quarterback in the last year of his rookie contract, which could be his last year in Nashville.