Honor makes second Breakout Player list*Moving the Sticks*Now Prisco UPDATED

Number9

Bottom line is that Titans were bottom half (around 16 or 17 if adjusted for percentage) for sacks, 18th in yards per run allowed, etc.  To make matters worse, the majority of the sacks came from the ILBs and the DBs and not the OLBs.  Casey, a 3T was the sack leader on the defensive line.  Your two starting OLBs last year combined for, what, 2-3 sacks?

It's not exactly a high bar this year's crop of edge players have to hurtle over to be better than last year.  Any damn idiot can see that.  

Edited by Justafan

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Congrats Honor! That's a huge Harold to even be considered!

Given the number of snaps they played (1000+), Orakpo and Morgan's lack of sacks was really quite amazing.    Orakpo's 1.5 sacks tied for #212 in the league;  Morgan tied for #394 with 0.5 sacks.   Th

1 hour ago, Justafan said:

Bottom line is that Titans were bottom half (around 16 or 17 if adjusted for percentage) for sacks, 18th in yards per run allowed, etc.  To make matters worse, the majority of the sacks came from the ILBs and the DBs and not the OLBs.  Casey, a 3T was the sack leader on the defensive line.  Your two starting OLBs last year combined for, what, 2-3 sacks?

It's not exactly a high bar this year's crop of edge players have to hurtle over to be better than last year.  Any damn idiot can see that.  

You seem to be pretty passionate on this but everything you cite is just pure speculation. As edge was the runaway leader in the weakness poll, I think a lot of people are concerned about the lack of depth and the fact that we only really have 1.5 starters and a bunch of ‘improved’ UDFAs and a rookie 5th rounder. 

22 minutes ago, japan said:

You seem to be pretty passionate on this but everything you cite is just pure speculation. As edge was the runaway leader in the weakness poll, I think a lot of people are concerned about the lack of depth and the fact that we only really have 1.5 starters and a bunch of ‘improved’ UDFAs and a rookie 5th rounder. 

It's all speculation.  You're speculating that Wake will fall off a cliff, none of the young guys can produce (even though they did last year) and Landry won't take the expected step.  

I'm not passionate about it.  Anything could happen.  Everything you predicted COULD happen.  I'm just pointing out the stupidity of it because they would all have to be incredibly bad to be worse than Orakpo and Morgan were last year and that's just not very likely.  Both Kenny Vacarro and Kevin Byard outproduced Orakpo and Morgan last year... as DBs.  The OLBs were historically bad and yet you're predicting these guys could be worse.  It's silly.  

Edited by Justafan

2 minutes ago, Justafan said:

It's all speculation.  You're speculating that Wake will fall off a cliff, none of the young guys can produce (even though they did last year) and Landry won't take the expected step.  

I'm not passionate about it.  Anything could happen.  Everything you predicted COULD happen.  I'm just pointing out the stupidity of it because they would all have to be incredibly bad to be worse than Orakpo and Morgan were last year and that's just not very likely.  Both Kenny Vacarro and Kevin Byard outproduced Orakpo and Morgan last year... as DBs.  The OLBs were historically bad and yet you're predicting these guys could be worse.  It's silly.  

Ha ha.  You are the one passionately arguing with me about my opinion and the majority opinion on this board.

Edited by japan

12 minutes ago, Justafan said:

I tell you what @japan, if Wake and Landry fail to produce more than two sacks on the year, you can come back and say I told you so. 

Yeah, I was about to say that both of us just have opinions and we should see how it plays out as we've been kind of going round and round on this.  Nothing would make me happier than for you to be right and these guys to produce.  Well, maybe if Mariota returned to his 2016 stretch play I would be happier...

BTW, I'm not arguing that Orakpo and Morgan should have been kept.  I'm just not impressed with the steps we took to fix that position.

Edited by japan

I think what may be getting overlooked or isn't being considered enough is what the coaching staff thinks about the edge.  We have a pretty good DC, HC and GM.  They are very familiar with these guys and think they'll be okay in these roles.  They think these younger players will make up in youth what Po and Morgan had in years of experience.

Edited by Number9

1 hour ago, japan said:

BTW, I'm not arguing that Orakpo and Morgan should have been kept.  I'm just not impressed with the steps we took to fix that position.

Edge rushers have obviously been a mainstay of defensive football philosophy...well, pretty much forever.   JRob obviously recognizes this and addressed it by trading up for Landry last year.

However, I’ve heard at least one NFL analyst mention that recent trends have put the emphasis more on interior pass rushers...guys like Aaron Donald who wreak havoc up the middle and put pressure right in the quarterback’s face, where they can’t just step up in the pocket. The Simmons pick suggests this is likely JRob’s vision for the Titans D as well.  

There’s obviously no such thing as having too many quality  pass rushers..but at the end of the day, pressure is pressure, regardless whether it comes from the edge or the interior.  

11 hours ago, japan said:

Can't wait for this elite edge corp.  Who cares about depth when you have a 38 year old rusher (BTW, some arguing that he will set the world on fire, in the past have preached that age is a large deciding factor in the NFL [ie. the opinion that Walker was done after the 2017 season - before his injury] but they seem to be backsliding on that here.)  And I expect Landry to make a big jump this year but I also wouldn't say that he 'was better and improving' as he flashed relatively early and hit the wall while Evans was the one who came on late in the season and looked elite. 

I chuckle a little when I read the hype above for guys like Correa, or that Finch was some improving player as his stats show differently or people saying we are just going to plug that 5th round OLB in who we haven't even see practice with the team yet.  I hope you are right and that edge is a strength, but from the results of that weakness poll, I don't think I'm the only one concerned about it.

I’m not going to delve too far in, but Finch is exactly the kind of guy you want taking over for Morgan in the base. 

5 hours ago, Justafan said:

What Morgan and Orakpo provided was a sound scheme that didn’t leak. Going off of memory we didn’t give up a single long TD on the ground last year besides the one in Houston. Both of them were beasts in the base.

I agree we will be better rushing the passer this year. We are definitely losing two elite edge setters though. Time to change the scheme up. 

Edited by IsntLifeFunny

2 hours ago, patsplat said:

When it comes to sure bets in football, nothing beats a 38 year old veteran!

Last season PFF ranked Wake second in the NFL in pass-rush productivity, and second in QB-pressure rate. So yeah, he’s old, but there’s no reason to expect him to take a massive drop off from just a year ago.

Plus, he was still better than both Morgan and Orakpo last year.