Sign in to follow this  
Oiler FANatic

Are the Cowboys really stupid enough to pay Dak Prescott $30M/year??

2 hours ago, headhunter said:

Are you all saying Mariota is a better QB than Cousins?

Not even people in Hawaii or Oregon are dumb enough to attempt to justify that argument

OzTitan   

Cousins is much more skilled and capable as a passer but doesn't he have some all time unbelievably bad record against winning teams? Seems like Cutler.

nine   

As far as Prescott goes....I'd rank him among the second tier of NFL quarterbacks, somewhere in the #10-20 range.    

At this point, he's not a guy who will singlehandedly carry an offense...and maybe never will be.   Like most other less-than-elite QBs, his individual performance is often a reflection of the team's situation.     Give him a good O-line, a good receiving corps, and a strong running game to lean on, and Dak looks very good.  When the offense has issues in other areas....Dak often struggles.   Funny how that works, huh?

It's interesting that the past two seasons have been sharply defined before/after scenarios for Dak.  In each season, a mid-season change influenced his production significantly.

Last year, the Cowboys made two huge moves during the bye week: trading for Amari Cooper and firing their O-line coach.   Here are Prescott's numbers before and after the bye week:

• Weeks 1-7 (no Amari, poor O-line):  8 TD, 4 INT, 87.4 passer rating
  • Weeks 9-17 (with Amari & improved O-line):   14 TD, 4 INT, 103.0 passer rating

That's a pretty signficant jump.   But Prescott's 2017 season was an even more dramatic contrast during Ezekiel Elliot's six-game suspension in weeks 9-14.

• Weeks 1-8 (with Elliott):   16 TD, 4 INT,  97.9 passer rating
  • Weeks 9-17 (mostly w/o  Elliott):   6 TD, 9 INT, 74.0 passer rating

Is Prescott a great QB?   Nope.   Not at this point in his career, he's not.    But with quality pieces around him, he's capable of being productive and playing at a high level.

Number9   

@nine that's a great explanation of Dak's numbers.  There are a lot of QB who if the pieces were never missing get most the credit for the numbers they put up.  The Cowboys also have the good sense to retain their coaching staff.  If they had fired Garrett and brought in a new coach, Dak would probably be considered a bust by now.

I think Amy gets this and is smart enough to hold onto JRob.  Vrabel too if he shows consistency, but has a down season.  They couldn't help it with ML, but in hindsight they may have been better off with an OC that wasn't on such a high trajectory career path.

abenjami   

Of course they will pay Dak.  As much as Jerry Jones wants to win, it comes second to making money...and Dak is a media darling.

BudAdams   

If you have a good QB, you pay him.  Dak has his limitations but he has reasonably good stats, has done really well in GW drive/comeback situations, and actually has the most wins since 2016 besides Brady.  He reminds me a lot of McNair to be honest as a mobile QB with one big caveat - he's never missed a game.

Number9   
1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

If you have a good QB, you pay him.  Dak has his limitations but he has reasonably good stats, has done really well in GW drive/comeback situations, and actually has the most wins since 2016 besides Brady.  He reminds me a lot of McNair to be honest as a mobile QB with one big caveat - he's never missed a game.

Dak must be one tough s.o.b.   I have to watch some more Dallas games because l haven't seen that Dak.

nine   

Having watched most of his college career, I always saw Dak more along the lines of a Cam Newton type.

japan   
On 5/13/2019 at 1:08 PM, Callidus said:

I don't think any player is worth 30mil a year. As good as Brady is he knows making more than 10-15mil a year is a joke. Yes he has his rich ass wife's cash to add to the pot.

But difference between making 10-15mil and 30-35mil is 2 or 3 probowlers.

12 hours ago, japan said:

They were 13th in spending at the position last year (the one they actually won fyi)... They paid their QBs the same as Matt Ryan, Cam, pre-contract Rodgers and Alex Smith.

Nothing too crazy but when you have the best QB in the history of the game for the price of Alex Smith, Matt Ryan or Cam you know you are getting a steal.

Edited by wiscotitansfan