Sign in to follow this  
TennesseeTuxedo

When Was America Great?

Rolltide   

So that's what triggers the tards when people talk MAGA. It is the again part. To the libtard you can't make American great again when it was never great. 

9 Nines   

The overall view is two parts, both dealing with the results of the World Wars in the 20th century.  The World Wars destroyed much of Europe, with America left intact.  America also had intact and easy to tap petroleum sources.  

While other parts of the world were rebuilding to get back to where they were, American business continued to grow.  Then while Europe was using resources to rebuilding its cities, America built up is military so it could push its businesses' interest throughout the world in a concerted effort of military and business influence.

That is history.  In the MAGA context, it is wink-wink when White America openly ran supreme in understood social interaction and in some states and local laws. 

Edited by 9 Nines

Seems like he would admit that America would not be great for him if he was alive when the country was founded, but he's choosing to emphasize the great things America stood for even when they did not realize them at the time (all men are created equally, well, not non-white men!) or in some cases still haven't realized them today. The disagreement is not really about the facts of history (at least to anyone not racist), but about the framing of those facts especially in context.

The real answer is that America was a mix of great ideas (some that were not and are not fully realized) and ideas that should be horrifying to anyone (slavery, treatment of women, treatment of Native Americans, etc.). I don't think he and the unnamed lefty would disagree on that if you were able to get them so separate the discussion from actually being about being a Trump supporter or not.

LOL

It is also "history" that America invested roughly $100 Billion (in current dollars) to rebuild Europe in the aftermath of WWII.  AFTER we were begged to join the fight against Hitler and abandoned all pretense of the capitalist model of industrial expansion to facilitate that engagement.

Not only did we send our best to fight and die for Europeans, at home American civilians went without food and fuel and clothes and shoes and more, to save Europe from the Nazis.

Holy fuck but the revisionist bullshit that gets peddled around here is just astounding.

Downtown   
6 hours ago, TitanDuckFan said:

LOL

It is also "history" that America invested roughly $100 Billion (in current dollars) to rebuild Europe in the aftermath of WWII.  AFTER we were begged to join the fight against Hitler and abandoned all pretense of the capitalist model of industrial expansion to facilitate that engagement.

Not only did we send our best to fight and die for Europeans, at home American civilians went without food and fuel and clothes and shoes and more, to save Europe from the Nazis.

Holy fuck but the revisionist bullshit that gets peddled around here is just astounding.

Dude, Hitler declared war on us. Not the other way around. Talk about revisionist...

Btowner   
13 hours ago, Rolltide said:

So that's what triggers the tards when people talk MAGA. It is the again part. To the libtard you can't make American great again when it was never great. 

How can you be so consistently wrong? Did you ever consider that many people who don't support Trump believe that we don't need an incompetent, narcistic, selfish, amoral POS to make America great again because America is already great? Do you consider that many people find it repulsive that a guy who has spent the majority of his life taking advantage of every tax or bankruptcy loop hole, with no interest in contributing to this great country now has the audacity to tell us, he alone can make this country great again?

Do you consider that many people feel Trump's rhetoric is the antithesis of everything that makes this country great? That the fabric of this country was built on its ability to be a melting pot of different religions, cultures and races. You don't seem to understand that many people find Trump's brand of fake patriotism is only a tool to divide us with fear mongering, resentment, victimhood, dissent and anger?

Truman said, "America was not built on fear, but on courage, imagination and determination". If you believe in Truman's statement, then you call bullshit on the idea of America turning to Sharia law, invading caravans or fearing immigrants. You call BS on our inability to reform our immigration laws.

To me, even with all of its flaws, America has always been greatest country on this planet. MAGA is more of a punch line than anything to do with America and the joke is on us.

Edited by Btowner

Downtown   
13 hours ago, Rolltide said:

To the libtard you can't make American great again when it was never great. 

You couldn’t be more turned around and blinded by hate. 

Can you point to a time in your lifetime when America wasn’t great? 

Rolltide   
15 minutes ago, Btowner said:

How can you be so consistently wrong? Did you ever consider that many people who don't support Trump believe that we don't need an incompetent, narcistic, selfish, amoral POS to make America great again because America is already great? Do you consider that many people find it repulsive that a guy who has spent the majority of his life taking advantage of every tax or bankruptcy loop hole, with no interest in contributing to this great country now has the audacity to tell us, he alone can make this country great again?

Do you consider that many people feel Trump's rhetoric is the antithesis of everything that makes this country great? That the fabric of this country was built on its ability to be a melting pot of different religions, cultures and races. You don't seem to understand that many people find Trump's brand of fake patriotism is only a tool to divide us with fear mongering, resentment, victimhood, dissent and anger?

Truman said, "America was not built on fear, but on courage, imagination and determination". If you believe in Truman's statement, then you call bullshit on the idea of America turning to Sharia law, invading caravans or fearing immigrants. You call BS on our inability to reform our immigration laws.

To me, even with all of its flaws, America has always been greatest country on this planet. MAGA is more of a punch line than anything to do with America and the joke is on us.

I could give 2 shits about your opinion of Trump. If you think America has always been great then you are the 10% of democrats who think that way. 

Rolltide   

Look at the derangement in Btowners post. He could have been beaten to a pulp and ass raped by an NFL linemen sized guy and he would have less hate and less disdain for that man then he does Trump.  

You people are sick. The families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown had less hate for OJ than you dimrods have for our president. All this self righteous bullshit. Some beet red cretin with a keyboard carrying on like a 12 year old. Grow the fuck up!

Edited by Rolltide

Btowner   
15 minutes ago, Rolltide said:

Look at the derangement in Btowners post. He could have been beaten to a pulp and ass raped by an NFL linemen sized guy and he would have less hate and less disdain for that man then he does Trump.  

You people are sick. The families of Ron Goldman and Nicole Brown had less hate for OJ than you dimrods have for our president. All this self righteous bullshit. Some beet red cretin with a keyboard carrying on like a 12 year old. Grow the fuck up!

Too funny. Stop projecting your rape fantasies on other people.

I thought you didn't care about my opinion or disdain for Trump? Speaking of derangement. What the hell does OJ have to do with your statement that liberals hate America. As usual, another retarded diversion. 

BTW, remind us again how much respect and love you had for Obama. Grow the fuck up!

Edited by Btowner

1 hour ago, Downtown said:

Dude, Hitler declared war on us. Not the other way around. Talk about revisionist...

Dude!

Hitler's declaration came days after the Pearl Harbor attack and it was a formality that he overrode Ribbentrop's objections to.  He knew we would be fighting the Japs and therefore would be spread halfway around the world on two fronts. 

Roosevelt and Churchill had been in conference about the U.S. entering the war for over a year, and the lend-lease program to the Brits had started almost a year earlier before anyway.  We had been picking off and harassing German U-boats in the Atlantic for just as long.

Roosevelt's "Arsenal of Democracy" chat/speech was pure prelude to war.  He was prepping the people for the idea of entering the war on the basis of national security.

That was barely 1941, and almost a full year before Pearl Harbor.

Churchill understood the isolationist wave Roosevelt faced here and had campaigned against, so both were faced with having to remain less than overt about their intentions and the extent of our involvement.

Yes, the Brits were begging us to get involved.

Long before Hitler declared war on the U.S.

1 hour ago, Downtown said:

And that doesn't change the fact that we spent Billion$ rebuilding Europe, including Germany, after Americans of all stripes sacrificed their very way of life to fight WWII.

It's been said that today's America couldn't win WWII.  But not because of our military, but because our civilian population has become so selfish and self-centered they would never allow themselves to go without the way our parents and grandparents did.

And I strongly suspect that theory is correct.

Number9   

I think the greatest days of America were after WW2.  I think for my generation that's the time people relate too.  We were a country united.  The problem comes when you start to take side issues and say that's all America was.  President Ike said, "barefoot and pregnant"  That was later used to say he was degrading women, but that is what happens during prosperity.  Ask the immigrants who come here.

I went to school in Chapel Hill, TN until the 4th grade.  I loved elementary school.  We had a little two room school house.  One room had the 1st-4th grade and the other room had the 5th-8th grade.  We drank cool well water after running around the school yard playing.  Miss Nim used to always give me the most sought after milk bottle that had a calendar on it.  Some just had a picture and most had nothing.  When we got our books, I always got one of the newest.  Some of them didn't even have covers they had been used so much.  Our books came from the white school.  It was a beautiful red brick bldg, with a big playground.  It looked like a school you saw on TV.

I think sometimes people associate when America was great w/pre-civil rights, pre-womens rights.  I can't say what Trump means because he never explains anything.  Has he ever said "Make America Great Again like when..."  There comes the problem.  America has always been great for me because I, for the most part try to be happy.  This is a free country.  I decided to go into business and I went into business.  I decided to start investing in real estate and I started buying R.E.  Now, I could whine I didn't have a far chance because...  I bought houses and apartments without ever filling out a loan application.  Wait, I did fill one out once.  Declined.

Our big problem is divisive politics.  If you identify yourself as black, you can't be a repub.  If you want to make America Great Again, then you're a homophobe racist woman beater.  If you are a dem you are for giving people everything and not asking them to work.  That's all bs.  I have people in my life who voted for Trump.  One friend would give whatever he had to me voted for Trump, he wouldn't again.  Another Trumper I talk with feels the same way I do about people.  She was saying how horrible the Muslins are, but she said her friend "..." is a Muslim and he's the most Christlike person she knows.  

It pains me today because we have lost the ability to communicate w/o hostility.  We don't know each other anymore and we don't talk.  We label people and start hurling insults.  Condemnation prior to investigation.  We, Americans have started to be our worse enemy.