Tariffs raised

9 Nines

I can't help but to remember a post by TRac months, maybe even a year ago about Trump supporters.  Something to the effect that the GOP base never had any particular principles that lined up to the GOP platform.  The tariff issue is just another instance in which proved him right.  

It's kind of fascinating how many times I am reminded of that post.  

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I wonder if that teacher who saw an extra ten dollars a pay check is still in the black on this whole deal? 

2 hours ago, JakePA_Titan said:

Its not a big deal but of course, anything the liberals can try and turn into this gigantic problem that Trump is somehow killing us with the trade wars, they will surely pounce on. 

Looks like the GOP senators are also turning into liberals!

FARMERS ARE 'LOSING THEIR PATIENCE' WITH DONALD TRUMP OVER CHINA TRADE DEAL, GOP SENATOR SAYS

https://www.newsweek.com/donald-trump-china-trade-war-farmers-losing-patience-tariffs-1418947

Republican senators warned that American farmers are increasingly frustrated by President Donald Trump’s efforts to secure a new trade deal with China as the economy braces for further tariffs imposed by Washington and the inevitable retaliation by Beijing.

Senator Pat Roberts, a Republican from Kansas, also aired concerns from Trump’s rural base, who helped him to secure the White House in 2016—and could stop his re-election in 2020 if his strategy of pursuing a trade war with China and others goes awry.

We have a “trade imbalance” with China because we buy a lot of cheap Chinese shit. If you make Chinese things more expensive with tariffs all that happens is we spend more money buying it from China or somewhere else. 

Yes, we are sending money to China. We do it in exchange for goods. It’s silly to worry about the “imbalance” because we’re (by we I mean individual private entities) are voluntarily engaging in trade. If they’d be better off buying goods from Vietnam or Indonesia Walmart is free to do that. They would if it was a better deal for them. 

11 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

We have a “trade imbalance” with China because we buy a lot of cheap Chinese shit. If you make Chinese things more expensive with tariffs all that happens is we spend more money buying it from China or somewhere else. 

I actually don't have that big of a problem with some protectionism.  I've held that for a while.  And China should be punished for their actions.  Tariffs may or may not be the best way to do so, but it is a way.    

However, I understand that this action passes costs on to the US consumer.  If ANY of board right wingers would admit this, particularly the stupid "libertarian", we might could have a conversation.  But they won't because it goes against every thing they've ever been told to say and it doesn't look good that King Trump is levying a tax on the US consumer.  

1 hour ago, Titans279 said:

Yes, we are sending money to China. We do it in exchange for goods. It’s silly to worry about the “imbalance” because we’re (by we I mean individual private entities) are voluntarily engaging in trade. If they’d be better off buying goods from Vietnam or Indonesia Walmart is free to do that. They would if it was a better deal for them. 

Trump has been obsessed with this issue since the 80s. Of course you are right, but to the extent Trump has core beliefs, lowering trade deficits and tariffs are among those he holds dearest.

1 hour ago, Rolltide said:

Hey asshole. Tariffs are a tax on goods that we can choose to buy or not to buy. I did not say anything in support of an increase in tariffs so why don't you go fuck yourself.

All my posts were sensible and not one sided vs Obama or in favor of Trump. You are too dumb to see that. Please do not respond to another post of mine. 

So, to be clear, you disagree with Trump's tariffs?  

"Since Trump took office and began his trade war, the total value of America’s agricultural exports to China decreased from $17.142 billion in 2017 to $11.853 billion in 2018, a drop of 31 percent, data from the Foreign Agricultural Service show."

"The fall is set to worsen in the current year. According to the same data, U.S. agricultural exports to China between October 2017 and February 2018 totaled $9.76 billion. The same period a year later, between October 2018 and February 2019, the figure was $1.61 billion, a decline of 83.5 percent."

Sonny Perdue said on Friday that President Donald Trump had asked him to create a plan to help American farmers cope with the heavy impact of the U.S.-China trade war on agriculture.

A new aid program would be the second round of assistance for farmers, after the Department of Agriculture's $12 billion plan last year to compensate for lower prices for farm goods and lost sales stemming from trade disputes with China and other nations.

The toll on U.S. agriculture has been heavy, in a sector that has largely been supportive of Trump. Soybeans are the most valuable U.S. farm export, and shipments to China dropped to a 16-year low in 2018, while soybean futures prices fell this week to 11-year lows - and once again closed down on Friday.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-ready-plan-support-farmers-141756810.html

So, Trump's plan is to sell T-Bills to the Chinese to finance a budget deficit that pays farmers because they can't sell their grain to the Chinese.  Brilliant!

2 hours ago, ctm said:

So, Trump's plan is to sell T-Bills to the Chinese to finance a budget deficit that pays farmers because they can't sell their grain to the Chinese.  Brilliant!

I guess it depends on his true motive