Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Kyle021

I’m still salivating over this draft. This roster in honesty.

Recommended Posts

BudAdams   
1 minute ago, bizzyeddie said:

I am interested to see how Landry and Evans do this year....Evans looks like he could really reach another level based on his play at the end of last year.  Landry is gonna get his opportunity to shine.  If they both turn into impact players and possibly pro-bowl players that would really be a hell of a draft considering we gave up pics and moved up to get them both.

That was some bold shit on JRobs part.

Given that's their entire draft haul - yes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
56 minutes ago, Alcibiades said:

I like when people get excited. Ignore the haters.

 

That said, I'm not sold on Walker like some of you. I mean, I was REALLY glad we didn't take him in the 3rd. To get him as late as we did makes me OK with the pick, but I still don't see him as more than a STs guy. What am I missing?

 

I think Brown and Hooker were tremendous value, though. And I like the Simmons pick. Yeah, not for this year, but once he's healthy...I mean, look at his tape. He is a DOMINANT player out there. He really could be the next Haynesworth for this team (minus the character problems). Guy looks almost unstoppable, and if we can keep Casey playing at a high level on the same DL, we are scary up front, especially with Landry screaming off the edge.

 

Brown may have been the best WR in this draft. I'm surprised he fell so far. I'm guessing his speed didn't wow people. But he has quickness and moves that remind me of Mason, actually. Mason used to do that same spin away from where the tackle is coming and pick up extra yards. Brown does that a LOT. Very good ability to adjust in short area, which is great for a WR. Oh, and watch him sell his routes. The guy is hard to read when he runs 10 yards up and then flashes into his route. Consistent, and should play right away.

 

I know almost nothing about our new OL guard dude :)

I think Walker's initial role will be to spell Landry/Wake on run downs and STs.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Huston   
10 minutes ago, nine said:

I think it’s a very solid draft with tons of potential.

 

But I’m also realistic: even for good teams,   it’s rare for a single draft class to produce more than 2-3 solid starters.  If this group provides three quality players for the long term, I’ll be satisfied.  

I think year two is where we see three of them realy establish themselves as starters but they all should contribute in some meaningful way this year as well. That's whats exciting to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TitansAB   
1 hour ago, Cajun said:

Love that he's known for being so aggressive during drafts and this year he sat back and took what fell to him. Even trading back at one point. During the AJ Brown pick video he even says "Be Patient. Be Patient"

 

Love me some JRob.

Do you have a link to the video or point me in the direction, I cant seem to find it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Alcibiades said:

I like when people get excited. Ignore the haters.

 

That said, I'm not sold on Walker like some of you. I mean, I was REALLY glad we didn't take him in the 3rd. To get him as late as we did makes me OK with the pick, but I still don't see him as more than a STs guy. What am I missing?

 

I think Brown and Hooker were tremendous value, though. And I like the Simmons pick. Yeah, not for this year, but once he's healthy...I mean, look at his tape. He is a DOMINANT player out there. He really could be the next Haynesworth for this team (minus the character problems). Guy looks almost unstoppable, and if we can keep Casey playing at a high level on the same DL, we are scary up front, especially with Landry screaming off the edge.

 

Brown may have been the best WR in this draft. I'm surprised he fell so far. I'm guessing his speed didn't wow people. But he has quickness and moves that remind me of Mason, actually. Mason used to do that same spin away from where the tackle is coming and pick up extra yards. Brown does that a LOT. Very good ability to adjust in short area, which is great for a WR. Oh, and watch him sell his routes. The guy is hard to read when he runs 10 yards up and then flashes into his route. Consistent, and should play right away.

 

I know almost nothing about our new OL guard dude :)

Exactly....DK Metcalf would have been the pick if Reinfeldt or Webster were still at the helm. They'd have taken the measurables while the Patriots would have chuckled and taken AJ Brown!

 

8 hours ago, Cajun said:

It's really not though.

It is for a few expensive minutes!

 

8 hours ago, MIKE75 said:

:91_thumbsup:

Recreational opiates? Now we're talkin.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Face   
11 hours ago, bizzyeddie said:

I am interested to see how Landry and Evans do this year....Evans looks like he could really reach another level based on his play at the end of last year.  Landry is gonna get his opportunity to shine.  If they both turn into impact players and possibly pro-bowl players that would really be a hell of a draft considering we gave up pics and moved up to get them both.

That was some bold shit on JRobs part.

If Evans & Landry play like they look like they should this defense is going to be pretty friggin good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a pretty big pivot point for the franchise this season, 27 guys off contract at the end of this season, 9 of which could be starters in week 1.

 

Likely offensive starters Mariota/Conklin/Jones/Pamphile/Henry are among those off contract, that is a large chunk of the potential starting OL in contact years.

 

On defense Byard/Ryan/Johnson/Woodyard are among those off contract.

 

Obviously there is roster churn every year in the NFL, but on the back of 3 consecutive 9-7 seasons should things not go well this year, this current iteration of the roster could be dismantled next offseason.

 

Going to be interesting to watch how this season plays out, either the team makes the leap back into the playoffs or significant change will be coming.

 

 

Edited by AussieTitanFan08

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Going to be interesting to watch how this season plays out, either the team makes the leap back into the playoffs or significant change will be coming.

I've actually thought about what direction they'll go if they have a disappointing season. I don't expect a staff change but they could really revamp the roster after this season. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ctm   
22 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

I've actually thought about what direction they'll go if they have a disappointing season. I don't expect a staff change but they could really revamp the roster after this season. 

There is also another scenario that seems possible.  What if the team's record is about like last year, maybe a little better.  They are drafting in about  the same spot and for whatever reason they decide to move on from MM.

  

Then the team is potentially in QB hell. Their draft slot would force them to use extra picks to move up to get a quality guy.  All the while they can't afford to give up picks because they have so many other free agents to replace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Soxcat   

We will only go as far as our QB can take us.  The rest of the roster is pretty solid.  IMO JRob hit a homerun in FA and the draft getting very good value at positions of need.  For example, to get a guy like Hooker in the 4th is ridiculous.  Brown is a legit consideration in the 1st where we picked.  It was a decent draft even without considering Simmons and if he plays at a pro-bowl level when he finally gets in there the defense should be bad ass. 

 

Break it down by position group. 

WR was a mess.  We had Corey Davis and not much else.  Taylor has some ability but simply isn't on the same level of what we need.  JRob comes out of FA with Humphries and the draft with Brown. 

 

OL.  I've said repeatedly Jones wasn't great but he was solid.  The main issue was Kline (horrible) and Spain (average).  Spain gets replaced by an all-pro guy and JRob drafts Davis.  They love Davis.  Loved what they saw him do in the Sr. Bowl practices.  The kid has a chance to be a real good one and gets to learn from Staffold. 

 

Edge.  Wake comes in as a pass rush specialist and despite his stats not being outstanding his pressures and play is still at a high level.  We draft as much value at OLB as possible in the draft with Walker.  We still have Landry and Finch who both could be viable starters.  Considering we lost two starters at OLB we are in pretty good shape. 

 

DB.  Only glaring deficiency was depth.  What if one of our Ss or Ryan goes down.  Gee, all JRob did was draft a best fit for this need in the entire draft in the 4th round.  Hooker is a baller and versatile.  We lose Ryan or a S we have a perfect guy to fit into a role.  Should see Hooker contributing in a number of ways; packages and STs. Probably a future starter. 

 

ILB.  Again, this was more of a depth issue with Woodyard, Evans and Brown.  Long lasted in the draft because he misses a bunch of tackles.  Still he made 111 tackles and had 8 sacks. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
16 minutes ago, ctm said:

There is also another scenario that seems possible.  What if the team's record is about like last year, maybe a little better.  They are drafting in about  the same spot and for whatever reason they decide to move on from MM.

  

Then the team is potentially in QB hell. Their draft slot would force them to use extra picks to move up to get a quality guy.  All the while they can't afford to give up picks because they have so many other free agents to replace.

Yea teams are in the spot all the time 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nash   

I do agree that the roster is in pretty good shape... but there is definitely a sense of produce now.. it sure seems that this team can take advantage of an opponents weakness on defense, can control the clock, and can play catch when the need occurs.. and the defense can take away another team's strength, forcing them to go to option#2... the fact we are practicing against the Pats surely says something about the overall versatility..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...