The Lawfare Podcast: Bill Galston on Populism and Impeachment

OILERMAN

https://www.lawfareblog.com/lawfare-podcast-bill-galston-populism-and-impeachment

This is a really great podcast. Bill Galston worked for Clinton. He explains why The House shouldn't impeach. 

But way more interesting to me is his talking of populism, manufacturing job loss and immigration, reasons Trump won. He freely admits mistakes were made in the 90s concerning the potential loss of manufacturing jobs. 

Because of inequality people have been less willing to support traditional leaders. 2015-2019 there have been populist victories in elections all over the world including Bretix because of Immigration, same reason Trump mainly won. 

Whoever wins the Dem nomination needs to run on at least a somewhat populist platform to counter Trump. Warren probably won’t win, but she may be best positioned for this.

Trump's best argument (for anyone other than his white supremecist supporters) should be the strength of the economy. Whoever his Democratic opponent is needs to push how the economy and Republican tax cuts for decades have been great for the wealthy but not so great for most of the country. Rising costs on healthcare and college and housing and everything else is not being offset by most people's income growth.

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Trump's best argument (for anyone other than his white supremecist supporters) should be the strength of the economy.

Trump ran on keeping jobs, affordable healthcare for all, terrible trade agreements... he also called the market a bubble that didn't represent the true economy. He ran on raising taxes on the rich, like himself. 

Now it's all bullshit and he didn't mean any of it but that's what he ran on 

42 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Trump ran on keeping jobs, affordable healthcare for all, terrible trade agreements... he also called the market a bubble that didn't represent the true economy. He ran on raising taxes on the rich, like himself. 

Now it's all bullshit and he didn't mean any of it but that's what he ran on 

Sure it’s all bullshit. He lied and his voters either didn’t care or just bought into it.

But people will still just say that GDP is growing during his next campaign and that’s all they know. The Dem nominee simply needs to have a more convincing argument to counter to make sure they can swing back independent voters and get people to the polls.

And I’ll check out the podcast, though I’m backed way up on my podcasts. I was listening to the OTP when they were going daily leading up to the draft and History of Westeros has 3 episodes a week during the show season. I have a backlog now.

7 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

Sure it’s all bullshit. He lied and his voters either didn’t care or just bought into it.

But people will still just say that GDP is growing during his next campaign and that’s all they know. The Dem nominee simply needs to have a more convincing argument to counter to make sure they can swing back independent voters and get people to the polls.

Trumo has 3 options to win. 

1) Trash the opponent with real and made up claims to the point where people question them as much as they did Hillary. 

2) Divide the voters (possibly with a 3rd party candidate) and disenfranchise Dems to reduce the voters available to his primary opponent. 

3) Cheat wherever and however possible. Aka help from the Russians in whatever they're willing and able to do.

Winning strategy? No clue but it's a sign of a dying Republican party facing a shrinking base but trying desperately to hold onto any power.

Long term? Progress wins.

The question is if our democracy will survive the Republican party's death throes.

I still think any competent Dem candidate should beat Trump having to run on his record, and most of the field is competent. No one will have Hillary's negatives and the base will be energized to vote this time.

1 minute ago, Starkiller said:

I still think any competent Dem candidate should beat Trump having to run on his record, and most of the field is competent. No one will have Hillary's negatives and the base will be energized to vote this time.

He won't be running on his record.

That being said I don't think the economy will matter much either.

2 minutes ago, reo said:

He won't be running on his record.

That being said I don't think the economy will matter much either.

He will be running against his record. That’s not a problem he had in 2016.

4 minutes ago, Starkiller said:

He will be running against his record. That’s not a problem he had in 2016.

We'll see. I don't think his record will matter.

Archived