Weaknesses left after the draft?

Weaknesses left after the draft?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think our weaknesses are after the draft?

• Quarterback
    • Interior Offensive Line
    • Speed Wide Receiver to stretch the field
    • Edge Rushers
    • Running Back
    • Secondary
    • Defensive Line
    • Other

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rather than to focus on weakness, I prefer to look at the unanswered questions for this team.  As I see them....   1.  What version of Mariota, Henry and Conklin do we get?  All three player

People pointing fingers at the #3 scoring defense instead of the 24 TD/23 INT quarterback.  Get a clue.

1 hour ago, nine said:

Poor OL play was an ongoing issue last year.  The interior OL was terrible, Conklin struggled badly...even Lewan had probably the worst season of his career.  The entire O-line got real bad, all at the same time.

A lot of this was obviously poor execution...but I’ve always believed that when an entire group suddenly takes a step back, the root of the problem lies with coaching,

I liked LaFleur’s scheme...but the implementation left a lot to be desired, resulting in consistently abysmal OL performance for most of the season.   How much of this was on LaFleur and how much was on OL coach Keith Carter is anyone's guess....but the results were clearly inadequate.

We obviously can’t know whether Arthur Smith will bring a better approach...but with the systems he’s worked in, he’s seen where mistakes were made and learned  valuable lessons in what NOT to do.  And I’m guessing his approach to OL play is near the top of that list.  

There’s no telling how much improvement we’ll see from the O-line this year...but it certainly can’t  be any worse.

I think the transformation from power to zone was underrated by many.  Add in Conklin's slow recovery from the ACL and it took a while.  If they can come close to picking up from December, they should be better.  Saying that, the physicality of a run game tends to take longer in this era because of the minimal practice time in pads.

2 hours ago, JoelinBellevue said:

You are better than this. You can't use one team to support data. You ALSO have to have a competent QB to take advantage.

What data? I’ve only seen your suggestions and opinions. I have not seen any data presented.

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

I think the transformation from power to zone was underrated by many.  Add in Conklin's slow recovery from the ACL and it took a while.  If they can come close to picking up from December, they should be better.  Saying that, the physicality of a run game tends to take longer in this era because of the minimal practice time in pads.

Conklin said himself that the knee itself wasn't so much the issue;    his biggest challenge was adapting to the new scheme and processing the variety of new techniques they were taught....with virtually zero practice reps.   

While the rest of the OL were learning the system, doing drills and getting reps to commit new techniques to muscle memory, Conk was still rehabbing his knee and just trying to get back on the field.  By the time he was healthy enough to suit up,  he was months behind everyone else...but the season was already underway;  all he could do was bite the bullet and get out there.