Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IsntLifeFunny

Could Mariota pass a physical?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, BudAdams said:

The premise in the OP is flawed.  Let's go back to the timeline of what happened:

  1. Unsure of Mariota's long term due to inconsistent play, injuries, and a new coaching staff, the Titans exercise the 5th year option as allowed in the CBA.  It was a short term fix to buy more time without committing long term both in terms of money and building around his skill set.  The 5th year option was guaranteed for injury.
  2. Mariota has an up and down, injury plagued season in 2018.  He's unable to play in the finale and the remedy for healing for his various injuries - namely the ulnar nerve and cracked vertebrae - was prolonged rest.
  3. On March 7, the team trades for Tannehill and cuts Gabbert.  Tannehill has one year left on his deal and restructures it to become a Titan.  Tannehill has a similar skill set and is brought in per the GM to "push Mariota".  The strong inference is that he's a viable alternative if Mariota were to miss time or play poorly.
  4. On March 13th, his contract became fully guaranteed.  It's highly debatable that Mariota could have passed a physical before mid March and after the deadline it's moot.  Mariota is getting the $ 21 M regardless - even if he's cut (which he won't be).

The Titans plan is clear to me:

  1. They have two QB's who realistically can play in this offense and win games.
  2. They have no long term commitment to either one.
  3. If one steps up and plays really well, they can commit to them either with a franchise tag or a long term deal.
  4. If neither steps up, one can be a place holder and 2020 is all about finding a draftee who is the long term hope.

 

What is flawed? You literally just stated what I said in the OP lol. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8MM   
1 hour ago, Number9 said:

Marcus Mariota, the gift that keeps on giving.

The most intelligent thing you ever said. 200.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
scine09   
1 hour ago, Number9 said:

I said last year the Mariota Massacre* was going to be bigger than the Great VY War.  Get ready, this is going to continue for a long time.

 

Mariota Massacre, so named because Mariota gets hurt more that the Union soldiers at Little Bighorn.

If you reversed the times of the players’ careers Young would be way more than what Mariota gets. 

Edited by scine09

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They wouldn’t have cut Mariota imo. They are giving him one last shot.

 

They clearly think the reasons for his struggles were

 

1. numerous system/coaching changes,

2. poor surrounding cast, and

3. his injuries. 

 

They have tried to manage and correct 1 and 2. 3 is up to Mariota. 

 

I don’t think they would have brought in a guy who is almost literally a Mariota clone (also on a 1 year deal) if they were basically ready to move on from him. 

 

They’re saying look we think it could work, we realize we’ve made decisions that didn’t help your development but here’s a chance for you to prove it. 

 

They dont want to waste the year though so Tannehill is some insurance if his injuries come back to bite us. 

 

One thing I’m wondering is with the huge number of FA’s we have next year and no 2020 QB on the roster it’s possible 2020 is kind of a rebuilding/tanking year setting us up to draft a 2021 QB...

Edited by Titans279

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BudAdams   

 

14 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

We are paying him 21 million this year. Is that because we took the option and he isn’t healthy enough to be cut? It’s a pretty black and white situation when he’s being paid over 10% of the cap and we traded for a similar QB. 

 

Im not sure what to think at this point. I think he’s healthy enough to be cut. I can’t see any other scenario besides the two situations where he is healthy enough and Robinson still believes in his skill set and leadership, or he couldn’t pass a physical so we might as well give it a try since we picked up the option. 

 

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

What is flawed? You literally just stated what I said in the OP lol. 

I think their plan all along was to have him on the team in 2019.  The acquisition of Tannehill provided them a viable alternative to him (but with the same issues of durability and production).  Why would Robinson have ever cut Mariota?  What if Tannehill gets hurt?  The plan was to have two relatively equal QB's so that the team isn't sunk if one gets hurt and/or sucks.  Why?  Because the team is in win now mode.

 

Saying all of that, it's likely he would not have passed the physical in March and then the deal became fully guaranteed anyway.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
5 hours ago, japan said:

Why would there be? The guy hasn’t played a whole season in 4 years. 

Why wouldn't he be? Because good QBs are super hard to find. Stafford got a new deal after missing a ton of time early in his career. If you get a good QB you sign him, period. 

 

Here I'll give you an example:

 

Howie Roseman is known to be a frugal and smart front office guru, so it makes sense for the Eagles to give Carson Wentz an extension before the star signal-caller and one of the 100 most famous athletes on the planet, wins an MVP or leads the team to another Super Bowl. Speaking Monday at the NFL Annual Meetings in Phoenix, Roseman confirmed that a contract extension was in the works, and made it sound as if it’ll be sooner than later.

 

PHOENIX — It’s coming. 

At some point, be it this offseason or next, the Eagles are going to break the bank for Carson Wentz. They’re going to sign him to a mega contract to be their franchise quarterback for years to come. That contract is going to be wildly expensive. It’s also an inevitability. 

 

At the 2019 owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore, it’s pretty clear every move the Eagles have made recently keeps in mind the fact that they will one day soon pay Wentz over $30 million annually. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   

The Eagles are trying to sign Wentz to a monster contract now because they're afraid he'll win MVP or take the Eagles to the SB and have to pay him even more. 

 

The Titans announced MM was still the starter after they traded for Tannehill

 

It's not hard to figure out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
japan   
6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Why wouldn't he be? Because good QBs are super hard to find. Stafford got a new deal after missing a ton of time early in his career. If you get a good QB you sign him, period. 

 

Here I'll give you an example:

 

Howie Roseman is known to be a frugal and smart front office guru, so it makes sense for the Eagles to give Carson Wentz an extension before the star signal-caller and one of the 100 most famous athletes on the planet, wins an MVP or leads the team to another Super Bowl. Speaking Monday at the NFL Annual Meetings in Phoenix, Roseman confirmed that a contract extension was in the works, and made it sound as if it’ll be sooner than later.

 

PHOENIX — It’s coming. 

At some point, be it this offseason or next, the Eagles are going to break the bank for Carson Wentz. They’re going to sign him to a mega contract to be their franchise quarterback for years to come. That contract is going to be wildly expensive. It’s also an inevitability. 

 

At the 2019 owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore, it’s pretty clear every move the Eagles have made recently keeps in mind the fact that they will one day soon pay Wentz over $30 million annually. 

I think Stafford was only injured his first 2 seasons. Mariota on 4. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
2 minutes ago, japan said:

I think Stafford was only injured his first 2 seasons. Mariota on 4. 

Wentz about to get paid, Russell Wilson type money

 

You know why

 

If MM played like Wentz he'd be getting paid too. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
japan   
3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Wentz about to get paid, Russell Wilson type money

 

You know why

 

If MM played like Wentz he'd be getting paid too. 

 

 

Maybe it’s a good move but Wentz was pretty bad last year. Was basically pulled for Foles. I guess you could chalk that up to injury though...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OILERMAN   
1 minute ago, japan said:

Maybe it’s a good move but Wentz was pretty bad last year. Was basically pulled for Foles. I guess you could chalk that up to injury though...

Be glad I don't keep of score like you do on me. 

 

Distance yourself from this nonsense 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...