Sign in to follow this  
IsntLifeFunny

Could Mariota pass a physical?

BudAdams   

This idea that Mariota is head and shoulders above Tannehill in terms of talent is completely subjective.  One is the 2012 model and the other is the 2015 model.  They have almost identical career stats in terms of Passer Rating, TD%, INT% and if anything Tannehill has trended up while Mariota has trended down. 

japan   
8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He's getting 21 mill because that's what the 5th year option pays him. There wasn't a better option at the time they gave him the option.

One thing of note. There hasn't been one mention of a contract extension. 

Why would there be? The guy hasn’t played a whole season in 4 years. 

abc2330   

The only way that I see Mariota as being superior to Tannehill is that he's typically mistake free and effective at the end of games.  I haven't watched Tannehill enough to really know if this is true, but I see that he's more willing to take risks and that could be a problem.

Otherwise, there's just nothing that I can give the advantage to Mariota in.  Tannehill has the superior arm talent, production, pocket poise- he's made several highlight worthy plays while taking a hit or on the run.  He'll stay patient in the pocket and allow plays to develop while Mariota scampers as soon as he senses danger.

People crown Mariota to be a deep ball king because of his 25 attempts over 16 yards, but last year was the only in which he was superior in this area.  Tannehill was better in 15-16, actually #2 in 2016 and #1 in throws over 20 yards and TD percentage .

I heard a snippet during a game where they interviewed a DC after facing both in consecutive weeks, and he claimed that teams knew that Mariota wants to run the ball while Tannehill presents more of an issue with extending plays   mariota has more exploitable weaknesses with his jittery pocket presence, scattershot sideline accuracy, and inability to create plays. That's why his numbers have dropped

1 hour ago, BudAdams said:

This idea that Mariota is head and shoulders above Tannehill in terms of talent is completely subjective.  One is the 2012 model and the other is the 2015 model.  They have almost identical career stats in terms of Passer Rating, TD%, INT% and if anything Tannehill has trended up while Mariota has trended down. 

I think he has an advantage over Tannehill based on having been on the team and familiarity with the system that the team went out of their way to make sure stayed the same for him.  Guessing Mariota is going to get most of the first team snaps and he's played with Corey, Delanie and others.  Tannehill is new to everything here.

Maybe Tannehill will pick it up quickly but based on some things I've seen on him he doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.

Guess we may see.

Number9   
7 minutes ago, Omar said:

Oh good, another Mariota speculation thread. Because everyone has not made their feelings and speculation about him clear in 100 different threads. 

Marcus Mariota, the gift that keeps on giving.

Number9   

I said last year the Mariota Massacre* was going to be bigger than the Great VY War.  Get ready, this is going to continue for a long time.

Mariota Massacre, so named because Mariota gets hurt more that the Union soldiers at Little Bighorn.

abc2330   

It's extremely difficult for me to buy into any QB who has never reached 3,500 yards to be a good deep ball passer.  He's a poor man's Alex Smith, if anything, which would not be considered good at much of anything.

I like Tannehill I think him and mariota have a lot of similar issues.Inconsitent qb play,staff turnovers,injuries etc.If we were just going off the stats and numbers alone Tannehill looks alot better.Mariota on one hand has always had a decent to good oline where Miami did nuthin for Tanny.His weapons weren’t exceptional either so add that fact in.Cupboard was bare for mariota when he got here so have to consider that.Its kinda crazy as the team as a whole has gotten better mariota has seemed to regress.Idk I’d rje injuries just added up,frustration over constant coaching oc changes or what. 

83032FE6-3CA2-4726-A41F-B04702FF6681.png

BAC70685-737B-44F5-8001-7344056CFECE.png

BudAdams   
56 minutes ago, bizzyeddie said:

I think he has an advantage over Tannehill based on having been on the team and familiarity with the system that the team went out of their way to make sure stayed the same for him.  Guessing Mariota is going to get most of the first team snaps and he's played with Corey, Delanie and others.  Tannehill is new to everything here.

Maybe Tannehill will pick it up quickly but based on some things I've seen on him he doesn't seem like the sharpest tool in the shed.

Guess we may see.

No question Mariota has the in-house advantage but I'm talking about the objective view of the player's talent levels.  Plenty of NFL scouting analysts, including Jeremiah, have Tannehill as the comp for Mariota.  Mariota being 5 years younger is really the big advantage but at the same time that premise is based on the younger player being healthier and having continuous improvement........

This is the year for him. He either puts up the numbers and stays healthy, or he takes less money than he's worth. 

Teams are paying outrageous amounts for mediocre QB's right now. AAS/Jrob have said that they want him as a franchise QB but that he must stay healthy and prove value.