Could Mariota pass a physical?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rightly or wrongly I really think JRob/Vrabel want to give Mariota one final shot this year to prove he can be the QB going forward, he has now been surrounded by the best supporting cast of skill pos

Cut him now.

No. That's a bit premature.

Posted Images

They wouldn’t have cut Mariota imo. They are giving him one last shot.

They clearly think the reasons for his struggles were

1. numerous system/coaching changes,

2. poor surrounding cast, and

3. his injuries. 

They have tried to manage and correct 1 and 2. 3 is up to Mariota. 

I don’t think they would have brought in a guy who is almost literally a Mariota clone (also on a 1 year deal) if they were basically ready to move on from him. 

They’re saying look we think it could work, we realize we’ve made decisions that didn’t help your development but here’s a chance for you to prove it. 

They dont want to waste the year though so Tannehill is some insurance if his injuries come back to bite us. 

One thing I’m wondering is with the huge number of FA’s we have next year and no 2020 QB on the roster it’s possible 2020 is kind of a rebuilding/tanking year setting us up to draft a 2021 QB...

Edited by Titans279

14 hours ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

We are paying him 21 million this year. Is that because we took the option and he isn’t healthy enough to be cut? It’s a pretty black and white situation when he’s being paid over 10% of the cap and we traded for a similar QB. 

Im not sure what to think at this point. I think he’s healthy enough to be cut. I can’t see any other scenario besides the two situations where he is healthy enough and Robinson still believes in his skill set and leadership, or he couldn’t pass a physical so we might as well give it a try since we picked up the option. 

1 hour ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

What is flawed? You literally just stated what I said in the OP lol. 

I think their plan all along was to have him on the team in 2019.  The acquisition of Tannehill provided them a viable alternative to him (but with the same issues of durability and production).  Why would Robinson have ever cut Mariota?  What if Tannehill gets hurt?  The plan was to have two relatively equal QB's so that the team isn't sunk if one gets hurt and/or sucks.  Why?  Because the team is in win now mode.

Saying all of that, it's likely he would not have passed the physical in March and then the deal became fully guaranteed anyway.

5 hours ago, japan said:

Why would there be? The guy hasn’t played a whole season in 4 years. 

Why wouldn't he be? Because good QBs are super hard to find. Stafford got a new deal after missing a ton of time early in his career. If you get a good QB you sign him, period. 

Here I'll give you an example:

Howie Roseman is known to be a frugal and smart front office guru, so it makes sense for the Eagles to give Carson Wentz an extension before the star signal-caller and one of the 100 most famous athletes on the planet, wins an MVP or leads the team to another Super Bowl. Speaking Monday at the NFL Annual Meetings in Phoenix, Roseman confirmed that a contract extension was in the works, and made it sound as if it’ll be sooner than later.

PHOENIX — It’s coming. 

At some point, be it this offseason or next, the Eagles are going to break the bank for Carson Wentz. They’re going to sign him to a mega contract to be their franchise quarterback for years to come. That contract is going to be wildly expensive. It’s also an inevitability. 

At the 2019 owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore, it’s pretty clear every move the Eagles have made recently keeps in mind the fact that they will one day soon pay Wentz over $30 million annually. 

The Eagles are trying to sign Wentz to a monster contract now because they're afraid he'll win MVP or take the Eagles to the SB and have to pay him even more. 

The Titans announced MM was still the starter after they traded for Tannehill

It's not hard to figure out

6 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Why wouldn't he be? Because good QBs are super hard to find. Stafford got a new deal after missing a ton of time early in his career. If you get a good QB you sign him, period. 

Here I'll give you an example:

Howie Roseman is known to be a frugal and smart front office guru, so it makes sense for the Eagles to give Carson Wentz an extension before the star signal-caller and one of the 100 most famous athletes on the planet, wins an MVP or leads the team to another Super Bowl. Speaking Monday at the NFL Annual Meetings in Phoenix, Roseman confirmed that a contract extension was in the works, and made it sound as if it’ll be sooner than later.

PHOENIX — It’s coming. 

At some point, be it this offseason or next, the Eagles are going to break the bank for Carson Wentz. They’re going to sign him to a mega contract to be their franchise quarterback for years to come. That contract is going to be wildly expensive. It’s also an inevitability. 

At the 2019 owners meetings at the Arizona Biltmore, it’s pretty clear every move the Eagles have made recently keeps in mind the fact that they will one day soon pay Wentz over $30 million annually. 

I think Stafford was only injured his first 2 seasons. Mariota on 4. 

2 minutes ago, japan said:

I think Stafford was only injured his first 2 seasons. Mariota on 4. 

Wentz about to get paid, Russell Wilson type money

You know why

If MM played like Wentz he'd be getting paid too. 

3 minutes ago, OILERMAN said:

Wentz about to get paid, Russell Wilson type money

You know why

If MM played like Wentz he'd be getting paid too. 

Maybe it’s a good move but Wentz was pretty bad last year. Was basically pulled for Foles. I guess you could chalk that up to injury though...

1 minute ago, japan said:

Maybe it’s a good move but Wentz was pretty bad last year. Was basically pulled for Foles. I guess you could chalk that up to injury though...

Be glad I don't keep of score like you do on me. 

Distance yourself from this nonsense 

Just now, OILERMAN said:

Be glad I don't keep of score like you do on me. 

Distance yourself from this nonsense 

From what? That Wentz was bad last year coming off an injury? I’ll stand by that. 

7 minutes ago, japan said:

From what? That Wentz was bad last year coming off an injury? I’ll stand by that. 

That's why he's getting a monster deal, a poor year for him is a 102 passer rating, 21 TDs and 7 INTs by your standards

2 hours ago, audissey said:

Here's a bold take: He might just be a good QB who hasn't had a competent team or staff around him his entire career?

Same could be said for Tannehill.They didn’t exactly set him up for success either,but he still managed decent numbers minus the Ints.I hope for arguments sake Mariota and the team in general stays relatively healthy that way it’s no debate and we can finally saddle the horse or put that mofo down!!

17 minutes ago, JMoney420 said:

Same could be said for Tannehill.They didn’t exactly set him up for success either,but he still managed decent numbers minus the Ints.I hope for arguments sake Mariota and the team in general stays relatively healthy that way it’s no debate and we can finally saddle the horse or put that mofo down!!

I guess we'll find out.  No matter what one says, Gabbert only averaged 25 fewer yards per game last year than Mariota, and more TDs per game.  A guy with 160 yards per game and 6.1 YPA in his career was right behind our starter in terms of production in this offense, and he had a skeleton crew OL during one of those games.  

The caveat is that Mariota looks sharp when the game is on the line, and many of his weaknesses are less obvious.  I really believe that they want to channel this Mariota on every snap, and Tannehill is the motivation with which to do so.  The call to Tannehill telling him that he was a backup was a move to add fire to the competition as well, as he's looking for a new contract.  If that doesn't work, then they know that Mariota isn't the guy,  and they've got a good backup plan in place. 

Mariota is passive, not an alpha dog or a chip on the shoulder guy.  But he'll fight when the game is on the line, and presumably when his job is. Competition has been a huge topic this off-season, and Robinson has stayed true to his word.  

Edited by abc2330