Could Mariota pass a physical?

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rightly or wrongly I really think JRob/Vrabel want to give Mariota one final shot this year to prove he can be the QB going forward, he has now been surrounded by the best supporting cast of skill pos

Cut him now.

No. That's a bit premature.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Top flight QB's aren't paid $21 million anymore, $21 million is the going rate for an average starting QB, any top shelf QB isn't signing for less than $30+ million now.

We are paying Mariota $21 million basically because the decision was made last year to exercise the 5th year option and run with Mariota at least till the end of the 2019 season.

Exactly, there isn't any big question about it. 

More noteworthy is the fact there has been no discussion about a contract. 

My orthopedic colleagues, who are not taking care of him but seem to know a lot of detail about the injuries (given the HIPPA rules), say he should be able to pass a physical with regard to his cervical vertebrae fracture, his foot , and his ribs.. they don't know what the status of his ulnar nerve is however.. but my going joke about it is "rub some CBD oil on it"  LOL

30 minutes ago, JoelinBellevue said:

I wonder if he can pass a mental physical.

Robinson: Dark.
Mariota: Dark.
Robinson: Within cells interlinked.
Mariota: Within cells interlinked.
Robinson: Within one stem.
*Mariota hesitates again.*
Mariota: Within one stem.
Robinson: And dreadfully distinct.
Mariota: And dreadfully distinct.
Robinson: Against the dark.
Mariota: Against the dark.
Robinson: A tall white fountain played.
*Mariota hesitates again. Robinson sees an emotional response has registered.*
Mariota: A tall white fountain played.
Titans: ...You're not even close to Baseline.

37 minutes ago, OzTitan said:

Robinson: Dark.
Mariota: Dark.
Robinson: Within cells interlinked.
Mariota: Within cells interlinked.
Robinson: Within one stem.
*Mariota hesitates again.*
Mariota: Within one stem.
Robinson: And dreadfully distinct.
Mariota: And dreadfully distinct.
Robinson: Against the dark.
Mariota: Against the dark.
Robinson: A tall white fountain played.
*Mariota hesitates again. Robinson sees an emotional response has registered.*
Mariota: A tall white fountain played.
Titans: ...You're not even close to Baseline.

What is that from?  Bladerunner?

1 hour ago, Soxcat said:

Tannehill wouldn't be a drop off if we had to go that route and he might end up playing quite a bit anyway.

Not sure what they did and what they really wanted to do are the same. It certainly seems plausible the plan was to just role with Mariota and Tannehill and try and win as many games as possible.  Worry about the QB situation at the end of the year.  Many scenarios could happen.  Mariota has a good year and stays healthy so we consider franchising him or signing him to a two year deal that isn't mega money.  Or we could sign Tannehill for another year or two and look for a rookie next year.  I do wonder what their thoughts were on Rosen because he was certainly a guy we could have traded for if we really wanted him. 

I'm not sure that Tannehill wouldn't be a drop off if Mariota was to go down.  Talent wise they may be the same but Mariota is familar with the system and Smith is familar with Mariota.  

Tannehill can probably match the production of an often hobbled Mariota but if Mariota stays healthy I think he would run this offense far better that Tannehill.

New team, new players, new everything for Tannehill and most of the focus will be on Mariota.

I really hope Mariota does what we drafted him to do this season and emerges as the QB. But as I have often mentioned, I cheer for the name on the front of the jersey versus the name on the back. Time for him to sink or swim. If he struggles or is hurt again, draft another QB in 2020. 

Edited by AvgJoe

I don't think they could have cut him if they wanted cause of the injuries.  If they could however I do believe there would have been some serious discussions about cutting him.

tough part is these decisions need to be made early cause you gotta go get another QB...so is it Foles or maybe Flacco.  I personally would be more optimistic about this team if we had Flacco as our QB but then you give up a player like Simmons cause you are probably having to draft a young QB.

The premise in the OP is flawed.  Let's go back to the timeline of what happened:

1. Unsure of Mariota's long term due to inconsistent play, injuries, and a new coaching staff, the Titans exercise the 5th year option as allowed in the CBA.  It was a short term fix to buy more time without committing long term both in terms of money and building around his skill set.  The 5th year option was guaranteed for injury.
  2. Mariota has an up and down, injury plagued season in 2018.  He's unable to play in the finale and the remedy for healing for his various injuries - namely the ulnar nerve and cracked vertebrae - was prolonged rest.
  3. On March 7, the team trades for Tannehill and cuts Gabbert.  Tannehill has one year left on his deal and restructures it to become a Titan.  Tannehill has a similar skill set and is brought in per the GM to "push Mariota".  The strong inference is that he's a viable alternative if Mariota were to miss time or play poorly.
  4. On March 13th, his contract became fully guaranteed.  It's highly debatable that Mariota could have passed a physical before mid March and after the deadline it's moot.  Mariota is getting the $ 21 M regardless - even if he's cut (which he won't be).

The Titans plan is clear to me:

1. They have two QB's who realistically can play in this offense and win games.
  2. They have no long term commitment to either one.
  3. If one steps up and plays really well, they can commit to them either with a franchise tag or a long term deal.
  4. If neither steps up, one can be a place holder and 2020 is all about finding a draftee who is the long term hope.

This idea that Mariota is head and shoulders above Tannehill in terms of talent is completely subjective.  One is the 2012 model and the other is the 2015 model.  They have almost identical career stats in terms of Passer Rating, TD%, INT% and if anything Tannehill has trended up while Mariota has trended down. 

8 hours ago, OILERMAN said:

He's getting 21 mill because that's what the 5th year option pays him. There wasn't a better option at the time they gave him the option.

One thing of note. There hasn't been one mention of a contract extension. 

Why would there be? The guy hasn’t played a whole season in 4 years. 

The only way that I see Mariota as being superior to Tannehill is that he's typically mistake free and effective at the end of games.  I haven't watched Tannehill enough to really know if this is true, but I see that he's more willing to take risks and that could be a problem.

Otherwise, there's just nothing that I can give the advantage to Mariota in.  Tannehill has the superior arm talent, production, pocket poise- he's made several highlight worthy plays while taking a hit or on the run.  He'll stay patient in the pocket and allow plays to develop while Mariota scampers as soon as he senses danger.

People crown Mariota to be a deep ball king because of his 25 attempts over 16 yards, but last year was the only in which he was superior in this area.  Tannehill was better in 15-16, actually #2 in 2016 and #1 in throws over 20 yards and TD percentage .

I heard a snippet during a game where they interviewed a DC after facing both in consecutive weeks, and he claimed that teams knew that Mariota wants to run the ball while Tannehill presents more of an issue with extending plays   mariota has more exploitable weaknesses with his jittery pocket presence, scattershot sideline accuracy, and inability to create plays. That's why his numbers have dropped