Could Mariota pass a physical?

We are paying him 21 million this year. Is that because we took the option and he isn’t healthy enough to be cut? It’s a pretty black and white situation when he’s being paid over 10% of the cap and we traded for a similar QB. 

Im not sure what to think at this point. I think he’s healthy enough to be cut. I can’t see any other scenario besides the two situations where he is healthy enough and Robinson still believes in his skill set and leadership, or he couldn’t pass a physical so we might as well give it a try since we picked up the option. 

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rightly or wrongly I really think JRob/Vrabel want to give Mariota one final shot this year to prove he can be the QB going forward, he has now been surrounded by the best supporting cast of skill pos

Cut him now.

No. That's a bit premature.

Posted Images

The decision had to be made back in March, and at that point it may have been questionable as to whether he could have passed. Even if they wanted to cut him at that point, they would have probably gotten into a dispute about his health with his agent and it would have not played out well no matter who ended up prevailing; they've worked hard to create a culture and the last thing they would have wanted to do is cut one of the team's leaders that a lot of the fan base still supports under questionable circumstances. Would not have played out well publicly or in the locker room.

6 minutes ago, No1TitansFan said:

The decision had to be made back in March, and at that point it may have been questionable as to whether he could have passed. Even if they wanted to cut him at that point, they would have probably gotten into a dispute about his health with his agent and it would have not played out well no matter who ended up prevailing; they've worked hard to create a culture and the last thing they would have wanted to do is cut one of the team's leaders that a lot of the fan base still supports under questionable circumstances. Would not have played out well publicly or in the locker room.

They made the choice last March. Paying him 21 million as some token gesture doesn’t seem like a good way to handle things. 

I guess we at least know he's healthy enough to throw with some WRs. He won't see any live action for about 3 months when the first preseason game rolls round, which seems like our first real confirmation he's at least healthy enough for full contact.

I assume if there are any doubts about his health as the season approaches we'd start to hear some rumblings about it. For now I guess we do know they haven't come out and said he's 100%... IIRC they've just said they expect he'll be healthy for the season.

Edited by Titans279

7 minutes ago, Dinx81 said:

Could be they want him to be the starter next season. 

That goes into the first option in the scenario. I mean I said it’s black and white. They aren’t paying the guy 21 million if the don’t believe in him...or if he couldn’t pass a physical. 

23 minutes ago, Titans279 said:

I guess we at least know he's healthy enough to throw with some WRs. He won't see any live action for about 3 months when the first preseason game rolls round, which seems like our first real confirmation he's at least healthy enough for full contact.

I assume if there are any doubts about his health as the season approaches we'd start to hear some rumblings about it. For now I guess we do know they haven't come out and said he's 100%... IIRC they've just said they expect he'll be healthy for the season.

It’s an interesting situation. I’m not sure he can pass a physical today. He fractured a vertebrae, cracked his ribs, and tore his foot last year. He also is dealing with the nerve situation. 

2 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Rightly or wrongly I really think JRob/Vrabel want to give Mariota one final shot this year to prove he can be the QB going forward, he has now been surrounded by the best supporting cast of skill position players that he has had during his time in the NFL, its up to him to earn a longer stay in Nashville now.

Despite the wishful thinking of some fans I don't think there was ever serious consideration of cutting Mariota before the end of this season.

I'm also willing to bet Titans scouts will be heavily represented at Alabama/Georgia/Oregon/Washington CFB games early in the new season keeping an eye on Tua/Fromm/Herbert/Eason should things not work out with Mariota this year.

That still isn’t really addressing the premise. Mariota went through a ton of injuries that were finally disclosed after the season. Do you think he passes a physical before the cut date for 5th year options? If so, do we pay him 21 million? 

6 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

That still isn’t really addressing the premise. Mariota went through a ton of injuries that were finally disclosed after the season. Do you think he passes a physical before the cut date for 5th year options? If so, do we pay him 21 million? 

Depends what the requirements of the physical are, he probably could of thrown a ball and run around in March but i'm not sure he would of been cleared to take hits in live NFL action by then.

What I do believe though is if Mariota was fit enough to pass the physical he wouldn't of been cut anyway, I think the plan all along was to run with Mariota at QB this season and then evaluate from there.

He’s not going to get cut. If someone will give a third for Teddy B and a 1st for Sam (Mr. Glass) Bradford, Mariota still has plenty of trade value. Especially if we’re willing to eat some salary I could see 5-10 teams willing to give up a 2nd round pick for him even if he starts the season poorly.

Edited by Thrill

53 minutes ago, AussieTitanFan08 said:

Depends what the requirements of the physical are, he probably could of thrown a ball and run around in March but i'm not sure he would of been cleared to take hits in live NFL action by then.

What I do believe though is if Mariota was fit enough to pass the physical he wouldn't of been cut anyway, I think the plan all along was to run with Mariota at QB this season and then evaluate from there.

I wonder what those requirements are. If you’re correct then we are paying him 21 million because we think he has the skill set to be a top flight QB.