Sign in to follow this  
Carpy

Can you win in the NFL without a Pro-style QB?

Carpy   

The Ravens seem to think so.

Their QB room after the draft is Lamar Jackson, RG3 and Trace McSorley.  McSorley ran for nearly 1000 yards last year in college while passing at only 53% accuracy. He also ran a 4.57 40 at the combine.

They added Marquise Brown (draft), Mark Ingram (FA), Miles Boykin (draft) and Justice Hill (draft) to their offense and give every indication they are going to run a true college offense in 2019.  They have 7 RBs on their roster and a heap of small, fast WRs for bubble screens, fly routes and jet sweeps.

I was listening to Move the Sticks podcast today and they were suggesting that regardless of who good Jackson plays, that he wouldn't get a second contract, because guys like that can be found every year in the draft and you just draft another one to add to the QB room when you need them.  That makes a massive difference to your salary cap when you never plan on investing $20m+ in a QB.

It certainly seems like the Ravens have gone all-in on this approach and are hoping their defense stays elite and allows them to be successful.  Either way, will be interesting to see if it is successful.

History says no.

It works in college because of the skill gap between players. That gap is closed. Once coaches find a tendency or pattern within the limited amount of plays run, they’ll be crushed.

You can, but it’s harder...

If you can build an excellent team around any QB you have a chance. We have seen game manager QBs win. So why not a good mobile QB?

cenj   

I suggested this years ago after the VY debacle; not that it would work, but that it made sense for someone to try it. I'm interested to see how it pans out.

It makes a lot of financial sense. QBs are extraordinarily hard to find, and their contracts really hamper the roster. Unless you have a top 5 guy, it still doesn't seem to matter come Superbowl time.

College is littered with these mobile QBs. You can keep that position cost low, and a major injury risk isn't as big a threat to the season. Spend money everywhere else on the roster.

I fucking hate the Ravens and so I hope it fails miserably, but it's quite possible they are truly innovating.

reo   

Tons of teams will go a year or 2 but it doesn't generally last. NFL defenses are very good at identifying gimmicks and shutting them down... even if it sometimes takes an offseason or 2.

OzTitan   

I don't think you can commoditize the QB position for any effective length of time. If it works out, it will either be a one off outlier defensive driven win with a few other breaks along the way, or one of their QBs will be good enough at the right times to get it done (like Eli, Flaccco).

Mythos27   

I honestly hope it works. I do hate the college RPO-heavy game but I'm starting to resent how football has devolved from the ultimate team to one where all that seems to matter is the QB. Certain positions are always more important in every sport but the QB in football is in a league of it's own. It probably won't work but I like that teams are at least trying to think outside the box. 

AvgJoe   

No, I don’t believe you can have sustained success. You can have fantastic seasons like Newton and Vick had, but Jackson and a lot of those QBs go the way of Vince Young. Defenses adapt and take away the runs and then the QB that used to open up the passing game with his legs, can’t do so anymore. 

It’s the reason that if the Titans had the #1 pick in the Draft in 2020 I’m taking a Jake Fromm or Jacob Eason over a Tua. 

Edited by AvgJoe

BudAdams   

If you have a dominant defense and a great running game with an offense that avoids TO's and is very good in the red zone, sure.  Saying that, if you fall behind and have to pass, you are screwed.

8MM   
1 hour ago, Starkiller said:

You can, but it’s harder...

If you can build an excellent team around any QB you have a chance. We have seen game manager QBs win. So why not a good mobile QB?