2nd Round of Free agency

titanruss

Sooo... after that killer draft, now begins the extremely boring part of the offseason. There's still some FA guys brought in every year before camp starts...  So to start that off...  what (if any) guys do you think we should or will bring in? What position groups could still use some help? I've briefly scanned Walterfootballs available free agents list. Its not updated but even so, there's just not much left at all. I'm guessing we will wait until the cuts start happening in camp but as of now the only guys with value to us out of their list is pretty much the guys listed below.... i went through pretty much every position end this is all i really saw. 

-C

Stefen Wisniewski, C/G, Eagles. Age: 30. 

-DE/OLB

Ezekiel Ansah, DE, Lions. Age: 30

Derrick Morgan, DE/OLB, Titans. Age: 30.

-DT

Ndamukong Suh, DT, Rams. Age: 32

Muhammad Wilkerson, DE/DT, Packers. Age: 29

Corey Liuget, DT, Chargers. Age: 29. 

-RB

Spencer Ware, RB, Cheifs. Age:27

-FB

Mike Burton, FB, Bears. Age: 27

I could see us continuing to bolster the Dline and OLB more than anywhere. Looking at this list,  there is some talent but i'm not sure we want to pay these guys Vet price tags.

Theres nobody left on the oline except Wisniewski. He lost his job last year and seems to not be as good as his name is popular. I also think we've got everyone there we want and it will be a tough competition for C/RG.... and maybe RT.

Ware/Burton could be nice additions to the RB room. I keep hearing you guys say FB should be a part of this offense and we dont have one. Burton can catch and is a very good lead blocker. Ware is probably as good as Fluellen and definitely more proven. 

JRob has done a fantastic job. Usually at this point you could point to 15-20 guys pretty easily you think would be upgrades or good later additions. At this point, I'm struggling to find 3 or 4. 

Edited by titanruss

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Danny Shelton

They need a lead blocker.  That was Stocker last year and they still haven't replaced him.  

Shelton would be a good chess piece against run heavy teams. Suh is far more versatile though, even with his motivational concerns. He's probably worth 5-10 million. 

Just now, Justafan said:

They need a lead blocker.  That was Stocker last year and they still haven't replaced him.  

Thats all I can really think too. Burton has some good experience and can catch as well... but these FBs just miss half years at a time because they are phased out of the offense. 

I didnt see many TE's that would be great Hbacks. 

1 minute ago, titanruss said:

Thats all I can really think too. Burton has some good experience and can catch as well... but these FBs just miss half years at a time because they are phased out of the offense. 

I didnt see many TE's that would be great Hbacks. 

Yea, maybe they phase that out in this offense too.  They used Stocker last year but they put a lot of emphasis on WR this draft so maybe they want to spread defenses out more?  I don't know.  Still a long ways to the season.  

Just now, Justafan said:

Yea, maybe they phase that out in this offense too.  They used Stocker last year but they put a lot of emphasis on WR this draft so maybe they want to spread defenses out more?  I don't know.  Still a long ways to the season.  

One guy that has experience but I have no idea if he's good is Ryan Hewitt. Formerly of the bengals and picked up by the colts last year. Averaged like 5 catches a year but played FB quite a bit as well. 

1 minute ago, titanruss said:

One guy that has experience but I have no idea if he's good is Ryan Hewitt. Formerly of the bengals and picked up by the colts last year. Averaged like 5 catches a year but played FB quite a bit as well. 

Yea, there are a few guys out there worth looking at.  

21 minutes ago, Justafan said:

That’s because they don’t intend to replace Stocker’s role. The offense is moving in an entirely different direction. Pruitt is the in-line blocker, and he won’t be used often. 

1 minute ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

That’s because they don’t intend to replace Stocker’s role. The offense is moving in an entirely different direction. Pruitt is the in-line blocker, and he won’t be used often. 

I guess we'll find out. 

20 minutes ago, IsntLifeFunny said:

Of course it’s all a projection. I just can’t see us not re-signing Stocker, signing a pure slot, and then drafting Brown if we intended to go the 2 TE route as our base. 

This offseason has looked a whole lot like they intend to spread it out more. I think that was the intent last year until the injuries and quitter happened..  but I guess we’ll never really know on that. Too many variables. 

They haven’t mentioned spreading it out more but did say Henry running should be a huge part of it. 

So what does that offense look like? Singleback with jonnu/Delanie playing h-back, humphries slot, and Davis/ brown outside? 

Safe to say thats our base offense right now? 

17 minutes ago, titanruss said:

This offseason has looked a whole lot like they intend to spread it out more. I think that was the intent last year until the injuries and quitter happened..  but I guess we’ll never really know on that. Too many variables. 

They haven’t mentioned spreading it out more but did say Henry running should be a huge part of it. 

So what does that offense look like? Singleback with jonnu/Delanie playing h-back, humphries slot, and Davis/ brown outside? 

Safe to say thats our base offense right now? 

I think the entire idea goes back to what Vrabel said when he became the coach. He wants both sides of the ball to be multiple in all facets.

If there’s anything I appreciate about the Pats it’s their uncanny ability to game plan against their opponents. One week Brady throws for 350 and 4 TDS and the next he barely hits 200 while they’re running 3 TE sets or 21 most of the game and simply dominating TOP. Look at the SB. It was pure genius how they won that game only putting up 13 points. Fluidity is the strategy, which means to have a base operation of your offense but be able to continually adapt week to week and half to half. 

Our base offense will change depending on the opponent, but as of now the personnel dictates that once Brown is acclimated neither he or Humphries should be off the field very often. 

3 minutes ago, BeedoeLaw said:

Exactly. We never addressed NT. We are still weak up the middle.

We were never weak up the middle. We ran nickel against base sets the entire year, which causes lapses in the running game and leads to long drives. The benefit is that it gives the defense a chance to make a play or the opposing offense to make a mistake. We were a top 5 defense last year with a shitty offense. That isn’t easy to accomplish.